Archive for Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dog being cared for at Humane Society after owner’s body recovered from Kansas River

July 18, 2013, 12:10 p.m. Updated July 18, 2013, 3:55 p.m.

Gabby, the black labrador retriever whose owner's body was recovered in the Kansas River Wednesday, plays at the Lawrence Humane Society.

A dog belonging to a Lawrence man found dead in the Kansas River Wednesday morning is being cared for at the Lawrence Humane Society, family members said today.

The dog, named Gabby, was brought to the Humane Society by police and will be adopted by the man's adult son. A relative of Sexton's said Gabby is a trained service dog.

The body of Dwight Sexton, 49, of Lawrence, was found in the Kansas River about 10 a.m. Wednesday by a boater northwest of Burcham Park. Investigators from the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, which has jurisdiction over the river, said a preliminary investigation showed no evidence of foul play.

The cause of death is not yet known, and an autopsy is scheduled for today, said Lt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff's office spokesman.

Sexton was originally from Atchison, where family members said they are planning to hold memorial services for him.

Comments

2 years, 1 month ago

My condolences to Mr Sexton’s family.

If Gabby is trained from a service dog agency, she should be returned to the agency for retraining and placement with another eligible person. Fully trained service dogs are a valuable resource and Gabby should be allowed to continue her work.

rachelowlglass 2 years, 1 month ago

I called Loring Henderson at The Lawrence Community Shelter. He said he had 30 calls wanting help adopting the dog including police officers. He said Gabbie has been adopted. He asked Channel 6 to update their information but as you can see as of this moment it is not updated.

gatekeeper 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like the shelter is just going to put her in with the rest to be adopted. Please go get her. I can't imagine how sad and scared she is. I would love to get her, but I have an older dog with a serious health issue and can't bring another into the house right now.

My parent's dog has suffered a lot from my dad and sister's passing. She was there with both through their illnesses and with them when they passed. She guarded the bodies until the funeral home came to get them. Then she wept. She still misses my dad so much. Poor Gabby is in mourning and needs a lot of love, now.

I contacted a large group that trains service dogs in CO last night, asking if they knew what could be done for a trained service dog now stuck at the shelter. Volunteered to drive her to them. I've gotten NO response.

Beth Bird 2 years, 1 month ago

Like others have mentioned, if she is a trained service dog, she needs to be placed back with the supporting agency to be re-homed where she can use her skills.

justanotherlowlifeonthebus 2 years, 1 month ago

My condolences as well, good job gatekeeper but keep in mind you've done your part. I would like to believe that if the family has certificates for her, those can be provided and the will find another match. She is probably going to need some retraining and assistance in a re-match.

50YearResident 2 years, 1 month ago

What has the dog been trained to do for service? How old is the dog? There could be someone local that needs the services the dog is trained for. Make that information public.

Lathrup 2 years, 1 month ago

May the Lord Bless him and keep him.

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 1 month ago

They really need to contact Gabby's service agency. She could either be placed with another owner in need or retired and adopted, but the agency needs to decide. Service dogs can't just become pets on a whim.

Chris Golledge 2 years, 1 month ago

That raises the question of who actually owned the dog. Was Gabby owned by Mr. Sexton or was she on loan to him from a service dog agency.

Karrey Britt 2 years, 1 month ago

Sad to hear this news. I had the privilege of meeting Dwight and his dog while spending a day at the Salvation Army. I did a series of stories and this was one of them: http://wellcommons.com/groups/nosuran... Dwight was kind enough to share his story.

Jean Robart 2 years, 1 month ago

Didn't I read in the article that Gabby will be adopted by Mr Sexton's adult son?

Richard Renner 2 years, 1 month ago

I knew Dwight and Gabby after Gabby got lost and our boy brought her home. The look on Dwight's face when he came to claim her was pure joy and relief. He really needed that dog. As hard as Dwight's life could be at times it was Gabby that kepi him going. In more ways than just being a service dog for seizures.

HumaneSociety 2 years, 1 month ago

From Lawrence Humane Society: We are pleased to let you know that Gabby has been released to Dwight's mother and will be living with a family member in Colorado. While Gabby no doubt provided service and companionship to Dwight, she was not a trained assistance dog. She was very happy to see family members and we wish her well in her new life. LHS

sammysbride13 2 years, 1 month ago

His son lives in Omaha, Ne the reason I know this is because I am his neice

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

^^thatsmyname 41 minutes ago

---service dogs are selected to be the best dogs.

and I know what you mean about Gabby keeping him going. mine isn't a service dog, but mine really keeps me going through the tough times too!

at age 8 it would be difficult to train Gabby back with a new user for his service application. plus, Gabby likely had some relationship with Sexton's son who's adopting Gabby.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

from the Wellcommons article: Kerr stays at the Lawrence Community Shelter, where Sexton has been banned. Sexton estimated he walked about seven miles per day.

--says Sexton had been banned from the Lawrence Community Shelter, then.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 1 month ago

it can be confusing whether or not a dog is actually an official service dog.

dogs do indeed typically find out their own work to care for their beloved people. I know that's so with my dear dog.

bevy 2 years, 1 month ago

How sad - I met this man once when he was sitting out near the hardware store. My condolences to his family, I hope he has finally found peace.

GSWtotheheart 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Sexton was not some nice old guy. He had felony non support (child support), drug convictions, and a sexual offense and conviction against a 14 yr old child when he was around 30 years old. He lied constantly. Not a nice guy and not someone you would want your young daughters around. He was also a lifelong drug addict and alcoholic. He lied about his military service and refused to hold a job. Get a grip folks. Some people are homeless by choice and they lie for sympathy and whatever else they can get.