Advertisement

Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Residents displaced by early-morning fire on Tennessee Street

July 17, 2013

Advertisement

Residents displaced by a fire early this morning in the 1300 block of Tennessee Street are receiving assistance from the Douglas County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews responded to the fire about 1:30 a.m., finding the front porch in flames as the fire spread throughout the interior of the three-story wood frame home. All occupants had evacuated the house before fire crews arrived, according to Fire Medical Division Chief Eve Tolefree.

Two residents at the house were treated for minor injuries, and the fire was extinguished before it spread to any surrounding structures. Fire officials are still investigating the cause of the fire, and the cost of the damage is not yet known, Tolefree said.

The local Red Cross has provided two of the residents displaced by the fire with lodging at a hotel and money for food, clothing and other needs, said Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter. Blocher said she thought five people lived at the house; she expected to meet with the other occupants soon.

The house is near another home that was badly damaged by a 2011 fire that displaced several Kansas University students but caused no injuries.

Comments

PhilChiles 9 months ago

I've heard of fires in town that were caused by electrical problems as well, and there was that one downtown that was from overheated oil...BBQ and cigarettes are entirely possible too of course.

0

oneeye_wilbur 9 months ago

Cigarettes or bar bq. Bar bq burned on on the 1200 block of Ohio. Cigarettes burned one in the 1000 block of Indiana.

Take a bet?

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.