Archive for Monday, July 8, 2013

Two Jefferson County men arrested on suspicion of illegal weapons offenses

July 8, 2013

Two Jefferson County men were arrested early Sunday on suspicion of menacing people with a sawed-off shotgun, said Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig.

Michael W. Courter, 19, and Joshua L. Back, 31, both of Jefferson County, were arrested in Ozawkie just after midnight Sunday. They had been sought by deputies over the weekend after residents of an Oskaloosa mobile home park reported that the two men had threatened them with a sawed-off shotgun.

It is illegal in Kansas to carry a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18 inches. "It was just about two or three inches too short," Herrig said of the weapon confiscated Sunday.

Back was booked into Jefferson County Jail on suspicion of criminal use of a weapon and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Courter was booked on suspicion of criminal use of a weapon. They were in Jefferson County Jail Monday with bond not yet posted.

Comments

Steve Swaggerty 9 months, 1 week ago

Good job Jeff. Co. Sheriff's Dept.! What do any of the previous post have to do with the subject being discussed

jackpot 9 months, 1 week ago

Maybe they can fix the page not found link. If you click on this "New law seeks to speed up missing person response July 6, 2013 " you go to "page not found.".

Larry_Local 9 months, 1 week ago

I agree. You are getting the news for free! It's one little answer - suck it up! If this helps the Journal World stay in business, so be it. The only constructive criticism I can give is to maybe only ask each question once per IP address. I'll give legitimate answers as long as I'm not answering the same question over and over.

patkindle 9 months, 1 week ago

I hope the questionnaire runs off all the bottom feeders

Larry Moss 9 months, 1 week ago

These marketing questions a stupid....just so you know I don't read them I just click on whatever to get past them.

Steve Bunch 9 months, 1 week ago

Now we don't get the news unless we participate in a marketing survey? Adios, LJWorld.