Opinion

Opinion

Letter: Distracted driver

July 6, 2013

To the editor:

This is addressed to the driver of a dark gray or blue Chevy Impala, with Douglas County license plates. I followed you on K-10 on Wednesday, July 3, around 5:45 a.m., from Eudora all the way to Overland Park. You caught my attention because you were weaving back and forth onto the shoulder, crossing over the center line, and changing lanes without a turn signal.

I passed you just after De Soto, and I looked over to see what you might be doing. Imagine my surprise to see a man in his mid to late 30s holding a cell phone in his right hand, apparently reading something or texting. You passed me several miles later, and again, I noticed you had a phone in your hand and were occupied with something other than driving. You continued to weave across the center line and onto the shoulder until I took my exit at Quivira and lost sight of you.

Do you not realize how dangerous this was?  I have seen the horrible injuries caused by car accidents, caused by inattentive and impaired driving. For heaven’s sake, put down your phone and concentrate on the road. There is nothing important enough on your phone to risk an accident. Even if you don’t care enough about yourself, think of the other drivers around you that are endangered by your carelessness!

I encourage all drivers to put away their phones and save texting for when you are safely stopped and not driving your car!

Comments

Abdu Omar 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes, Cappy, and I see a lot of bike riders who run lights and get into the middle of the lane not letting motor vehicles to pass. Sometimes I think they are unaware that they are riding a bicycle, not driving a car. When they act like a bicyclest and obey signals, I will be impressed.

Kirk Larson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

As a bicycle rider, I see a lot of drivers on the phone. Often running stop signs and lights, swerving and such.

kernal 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I you can live with yourself after causing a wreck that kills someone's mother, father or child, just because you can't resist tweeting while driving, then keep at it because the odds are not in your favor.

If you text while driving on the job and have a wreck, don't expect work comp to cover you. I'm not sure if your employer's insurance will cover any of the costs if you're driving a company vehicle, but you employers should find out and make sure you have a written anti-texting on the job policy signed and agreed to by your employees.

Liberty275 9 months, 2 weeks ago

People need to concentrate on driving their car and maybe spend a little less time peeking in other drivers' windows.

Pywacket 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Wish you had called 911 with the car's description and plate #s. Pretty sure I could do that w/o even looking down at my phone, as I know where the numbers are by touch. A preemptive call could save lives. Very much doubt he will read your letter, however well written, and say, "Why that was ME! I had no idea I was being a jackass and a wreck waiting to happen, but now I see the light and will reform my ways." Unfortunately, jackasses do not recognize themselves as such--but I bet he would have taken notice of a nice, costly ticket.

FlintlockRifle 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Well put lady, and right on target. Like poster above, call the partrol.

Scott Morgan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

One of the most effective ways to stop poor driving skills is to post an officer on top of a bridge, hint K-10 with binoculars. Speeding, careless driving, cell phone abuse, no problem. Officer spots, pulls onto K-10 while a another officer pulls the lawbreaker over. Two patrol cars pull the offender over. Bada bing, done. If the offender fights the ticket in court, the police can seek phone records.

Why ban cell phones for all drivers?

Scott Morgan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

and our personal rights keep disappearing.

jack22 9 months, 2 weeks ago

This kind of behavior is becoming a real problem. I think driving while texting is just as dangerous as driving drunk and should be treated as such. How many fatal traffic accidents will it take before we get serious about banning driving with hand held electronic devices? Where are the Mothers against texting while driving?

Don Brennaman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I see them all the time in parking lots. They get in their car, throw it in reverse and then start texting. And indeed they don't use cruise control. They must be proud of their multi-tasking abilities...driving, texting and wrecking.

boiled 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I saw a woman the other day applying mascara and weaving all over the place.

Richard Njoroge 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Well said by everyone .not as smart as their cell phones

Matthew Herbert 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I followed a "Wow!" employee doing the same thing yesterday through the construction zone of Iowa street. When it became two lanes again, I went around and saw him staring down at his phone, eyes completely off the road.. Wow, literally.

Robert Rauktis 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If they thought about it, they might be able to read a newspaper and care. Reality is they will be just another tragic death. Unfortunately, someone else might go with them. And stupidity trumps any preventive measures. At any rate, it's the taxpayer's bridge abutment.

Why smart phones aren't and Darwin was right.