Archive for Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lawrence trash schedule not affected by July Fourth holiday

July 2, 2013

The Independence Day holiday will not affect residential or commercial trash collection, the city has announced.

If your household’s trash day is on Thursday, put your trash cart out by 7:00 a.m. on Thursday as usual. Additional information on trash collection is available online at http://www.lawrenceks.org/swm.

Comments

budwhysir 9 months, 2 weeks ago

roses are red violets are blue, the trash man has the day off whatever shall I do?? change my schedule I should think not, place my trash at the side of the curb and for a week it shall rot. But all is not lost, nothing could be finer, for an entire week from now, the wildlife will have an all you can eat dinner.

dajudge 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Any other National Holiday, service would be delayed. why not on the national celebration of the founding of this country? Now I have stinking trash in my garage for another week. thanks!

bearded_gnome 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I asked it and it picked me up and threw me away. Very temperamental.

---wow! dangerous! although I guess you better be careful about trash talking it!

bearded_gnome 9 months, 2 weeks ago

uh oh. did anybody ask the automated arm if he wanted to work on the holiday?

outoftownmonday 9 months, 2 weeks ago

LJW staff: you might want to look at the Douglas County Bank ad on page 5A. It says there will be no residential trash pick up on Thursday. Ooooooops. Someone didn't proof read that ad very well:)

Patricia Davis 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'll say it again: my trash guys are terrific. As I have gotten older, I appreciate them even more. If having roll carts (which I have used for years) makes it easier and safer for the sanitation workers, I say what a great idea.

budwhysir 9 months, 2 weeks ago

This may have become necessary by the new collection rules requiring all trash to be in the roll containers. Most people who pay for this service will in no way pay for an extra container to hold trash, the trash collection guys wont pick up your trash unless it is in a cart. If you have too much trash to fit in the cart, they will red tag it and suggest you rent another cart and pay additional monthly fees.

Most people will use one cart and monitor the amount of trash set out each week. If they have to go two weeks there will be no way to have enough room in the allotted and paid for carts

Laura Wilson 9 months, 2 weeks ago

So, basically to avoid the stupid questions, the first story I should click on that day is one I have no interest in reading.

I'm guessing there is actually Thursday trash pick up for some baffling reason.

I suppose it was too much to expect that we would forever have free, unhindered access on this site. It was really nice--most news sites make you "join" or even pay.

Keith Richards 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Sure it would be nice to give them the day off, but the trash would still need picked up at some point. So they would still have to either work double shifts on another day or come in on the weekend.

Chris Bohling 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Thumbs down. Give the workers the day off like everyone else!

cowboy 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Leslie Swearingen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Maybe the Forth should be a universal holiday where people who can take the day off and think seriously about the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and what it means. If you get a chance you might even read them.