• Larry Northrop, Broker/Owner of RE/MAX Excel in Lawrence, was named 2012 Kansas Broker/Owner of the Year by the RE/MAX mid-states and Dixie region. The award recognizes Northrop’s efforts for his leadership in growing his office, as well as his ongoing commitment to uphold the highest RE/MAX standards and best practices.
In addition, Cassidy Leavy was awarded Kansas Administrator of the Year; and Kevin Newkirk, Bill Bowers and James Truscello received the Executive Club production award. Truscello also received the Cooperative Spirit Award.
• Steve Wilson represented Kief’s Audio/Video at the Coalition of Independent Music Stores convention earlier this month in Las Vegas.
• Kansas University Small Business Development Center will host a free seminar for start-up entrepreneurs. Exploring Entrepreneurship will be presented 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the center’s office, 646 Vermont St., Suite 200. Preregister by calling 843-8844 or sign up for the event at facebook.com/kuksbdc. The seminar will focus on a number of topics, including permits and licenses, funding, taxes, marketing and writing a business plan.
• The Oread’s wedding department was awarded Top Wedding Professional in The Knot Best of Weddings 2013. This year, winners were required to have a good rating from the Better Business Bureau, in addition to the requirements from real bride reviews. Only 4 percent of local vendors on The Knot Wedding Network received this award. The Oread’s Wedding Department has been winning this award since it opened in 2011.
• Jack Ellena Honda has earned the President’s Award from American Honda Motor Company Inc. for the Lawrence dealership’s exceptional performance in 2012. This annual award is presented to Honda’s top-ranking dealerships that achieved excellence in all areas of operation — customer service and sales satisfaction, sales, training and facility.
This is the third year Jack Ellena Honda has earned the award. During 2012, more than 1,000 Honda dealerships from across the country competed for the President’s Award title, with 112 dealerships earning the award.
• Mike Everett and Chris Bay of Life Success and Legacy, Baldwin City, attended the annual Think Tank Symposium earlier this month in Birmingham, Ala.
• Jim Weber is a 35-year real estate financing veteran and is the office manager of the new Primary Residential Mortgage Inc., 4105 W. Sixth St., Suite A-6.
• Dr. Anna Johnson has joined Lawrence Veterinary Hospital. She received her doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University in 2004. She most recently practiced in the Denver area and focused on small animal care for the past four years.
• A reception is set for 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday to welcome Megan Poindexter as executive director of Trinity In-Home Care. The event will be at Maceli’s, 1031 New Hampshire St. Poindexter previously was director of development at the Lied Center of Kansas.