Opinion

Opinion

Letter: Standout citizen

February 23, 2013

To the editor:

To the standout citizen who drove the white Dodge truck and pulled numerous stuck drivers off of west Sixth Street, all I can say once again is THANK YOU! It took me an hour and a half to drive five miles through the city on my way home from work. The city of Lawrence knew well in advance that the snowstorm was coming yet still failed to keep Sixth Street (a highway) cleared of snow by mid-morning Thursday. You, sir, did a fine job.

Comments

Number_1_Grandma 1 year, 6 months ago

Poor management from street dept for sure!

windjammer 1 year, 6 months ago

Poor managment? You have got to be kidding me. Didn't have the snow cleared by mid morning? It was a heavy snow storm did you not notice. I can name major highways that were not cleared by evening. I drove around the city helping drivers that had no business driving cars that were not meant for driving in this kind of storm. Stop crying about your path home in a major snowstorm. Give the workers credit for the job well done.

windjammer 1 year, 6 months ago

You Richard Miller knew well in advance that a snowstorm was coming. Why did you go out in it? You seem to think that the city should follow you around and clear your path five miles home. I think under the conditions the city and it's workers have done a very fine job. They have been working 24 hours a day since the storm and you sit by your computor in your warm house. Get a life fair weather complainer or move south.

ThePilgrim 1 year, 6 months ago

When it takes them almost TWO Days to plow Clinton Parkway you gotta wonder. These same folks are raiding the snow removal budget to pay for other things.

elliottaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Our street didn't get plowed until about 4am Saturday morning, its crazy

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 6 months ago

City snow crew, thanks for a job well done, there are several miles of streets here in Lawrence, not every person can be first to get your street plowed, mine was Friday afternoon, and yes I had to shovel the pile in front of driveway

sunny 1 year, 6 months ago

Sixth street was a disaster!

mom_of_three 1 year, 6 months ago

The storm got worse betwen 8 am and noon, which is when he possibly had to drive home from work. Therefore, it is entirely possible that the city crews were working on other parts of the city, such as 23rd or where ever. Did he expect them to make sixth street a priority or was it possible that perhaps too much snow fell in a short period of time, and nothing would have made a difference. Don't know about the north side of town, but I got 8 inches in two hours in my side. So yes, I think they have a right to criticize the letter writer.

George Lippencott 1 year, 6 months ago

We got a foot of snow. It did not stop until late Wednesday evening. The major roads were open by Thursday midday . The side streets mostly cleared by early Saturday. Just exactly where do some of you expect the city to find all the equipment and people to go faster.. If we had more the people and equipment would be sitting around on their duffs most of the time and people would be complaining about lazy employees and high taxes.

The reward of being a progressive city is a bunch of people that demand miracles. Somebody needs to help these people understand that they are just not that important in the overall scheme of things. Perhaps in our attempt to avoid hurting their feelings in high school we have created a bunch of monsters..

The city and our employees deserve better - a hardy round of thanks.

tomatogrower 1 year, 6 months ago

They should try living in KC. Some of those streets never get cleaned.

woodscolt 1 year, 6 months ago

I can't get over all the crybaby's who were inconvenienced by the foot of snow we had. The city could have done some things differently and probably better but to rail on them for the job they did is ridiculous. To clear every square inch of streets on everyones schedule is impossible. I wonder how many of these people complaining would have the street cleaning funds cut completely if Brownback said the citites now have to cut taxes more and more and there will be no emergency funding for snow removal. Heck, throw in police and fire while were at it. Oh, my bad, they already have.

And by all means, kudos to the white truck. Being stuck in the snow is no fun.