Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Lawrence mother searching for missing teen

February 7, 2013

A Lawrence mother is searching for her 16-year-old son who ran away from home last week.

Shirley Morriss said her son, Stevie Drake, is a Lawrence High School sophomore and was last seen about 2 p.m. Jan. 31 near Sixth and Kentucky streets. Morriss filed a missing person's report with Lawrence police and created a Facebook page to seek help from the public.

Stevie Drake, 16, of Lawrence, has been missing since Jan. 31.

Stevie Drake, 16, of Lawrence, has been missing since Jan. 31.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said officers have checked one location where Morriss suggested her son might be, but did not find him. The department also entered his name into a national police database in case law enforcement elsewhere makes contact with him.

Stevie Drake has gone missing before. In June 2010, he was missing for several days before he was found with family members in Shawnee County.

Morriss said her son is about 5-foot-5, 120 pounds, with short brown hair and brown eyes. Anyone with information is asked to call 785-843-TIPS (8477) or contact police, 785-832-7509.

• To view recent LJWorld crime stories, click here.

Click here to view the weekly arrest log.

Comments

midwestmom 1 year, 6 months ago

Is there a picture available?

I hope Stevie is found safe!.

midwestmom 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for adding the picture!

Haiku_Cuckoo 1 year, 6 months ago

Stevie, I know life can be tough during the teen years and the the inevitable problems at home can bring a guy down, but the best thing you can do is find someone to talk to about this and get some guidance to get you through it until you're old enough to move out in your own. When you get through this rut you may even be able to help kids in the future who are in a similar situation. Tough times can either beat a person down or make him stronger. Running away and skipping school will only add to your misery in the long run. Come back home and find the determination to live a happy and successful life no matter what comes your way.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 6 months ago

I really hope he is found safe. I've posted this article to my FB page and I'm sharing the group page. I urge others to do the same and tweet and retweet the LJW article. Social media can be a powerful thing.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope they find the boy safe. I used to be this kid years ago, thought I knew it all and had it figured out. I couldn't have been more wrong. My mother walked out on me when I was just a year old and I wish every day that I could have had a real mom. Stevie if you read this, do the right thing, come home to your mother. Shes worried sick about you and your breaking her heart. Thats no way to treat your mother, no matter how much you disagree with her

mom2many 1 year, 6 months ago

Unfortunately there is probably way more to this story then any one knows. Hope he is safe!

oxandale 1 year, 6 months ago

What about the father in all of this? It is unfortunate that this boy is missing, and I do hope he is located safe and sound. Would Stevie Drakes father be able to provide any information or help? If he was missing a few years ago, would he return to the same area? Hope he is ok. Hope (if possible) he can return home if this is a run away situation.

See_Emm 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't think he would if he found him.

Lovetheoutdoors 1 year, 6 months ago

I believe he was harbored by his father / paternal family last time.

ILMAM10 1 year, 6 months ago

This happen just over a year ago. I might be wrong on the time frame. But he ran away.

ILMAM10 1 year, 6 months ago

Ok nvm. The article already said that. I should of read the whole thing first. Sorry

bearded_gnome 1 year, 6 months ago

Stevie is, or recently was, a North Lawrence young guy.

I sincerely hope Stevie will come home soon, I know it is too easy for runaways to trust the wrong, dangerous, people.

*come home Stevie. I'm sure your loving family's main worry is first for your safety.

Cynthia Schott 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't agree, PwopellewCap. I think it's beyond girlfriend/boyfriend relationships.

Rebecca Shockley 1 year, 6 months ago

Why does this young man keep running from his home?? What is he running from? If this happened Jan 31 why did it take so long to be reported? If my child was missing for a week I would be on every radio and TV and in every newspaper asking for help. Why did it take a week?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 6 months ago

no, likely not about a GF.

this young guy has faced a harder life, and clues are in the article as to likely causes.

Rebecca Shockley 1 year, 6 months ago

Also I agree with mom2many I think there is way more to this story....especially if he ran away before.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 6 months ago

without going into detail, I need to say:

don't be so quick to make negative inferences about the family or the situation.

See_Emm 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope Stevie is found. Stevie, if you're reading this come home because your mom is so worried about you! Big Hugs to the family. We are keeping an eye out!

blindrabbit 1 year, 6 months ago

On top of this unfortunate situation, the family had a house fire about a week ago in North Lawrrence, thankfully the house only suffered minor damage.

Grandmother 1 year, 6 months ago

Really! I believe it was a boat? They are looking for a teenager not housing.

lunacydetector 1 year, 6 months ago

was it a judge relying on a case manager's opinion alone? we've already seen how this can back fire on an unqualified case manager allowed to be judge and jury on another local case - the mother lost custody, mother appealed, mother won day in court, hubby showed up to court drunk, mother got full custody. talk about egg on the face when it comes to our local lazy judicial system.

Spoton 1 year, 6 months ago

If it was an unqualified case worker, they must have made the correct guess of a lifetime. Turns out father goes to jail for drug abuse and battery charges. loses parental custody. Then once parent gets out of PRISON, same cycle repeats. Are we blind or just dumb?

lunacydetector 1 year, 6 months ago

The person I was replying to stated it was a case of parental alienation which has since been subsequently removed or edited

Grandmother 1 year, 6 months ago

Sometimes teenagers run because they do not wish to attend school....and think education is not important. Especially when there is conflicting messages concerning the importance of education.

Grandmother 1 year, 6 months ago

And also when they don't want rules or rules don't apply to them, for example when their expected to be home, attending classes on a daily basis, not missing everday or being tardy for every class. In other words accepting responsiblities.

Lovetheoutdoors 1 year, 6 months ago

First of all being emancipated does not relieve you of school requirements in the state of Kansas. http://www.kansaslegalservices.org/files/Emancipation%20of%20Minors.pdf Do your homework. The last thing we need is more children estranged from parents that want them to succeed in life. Getting a job when a child is already failing will not make them succeed will it?? Nope. Last I checked legal age was 18 and is 18 to enter adulthood... wake up America! Maybe this can be found and mom can help get this KID back on the right track....KID. Not old enough to vote, not old enough to drive a car, not old enough to join the military, not old enough!