Archive for Sunday, August 4, 2013

Abandoned vehicle found in construction site on US 56 Highway

August 4, 2013

This grey Dodge Durango was discovered Aug. 4 in the middle of a construction site on U.S. 56 Highway.

A wrecked vehicle was discovered Sunday morning in the middle of a construction site on U.S. 56 Highway west of Baldwin City.

"It appears the vehicle drove around the barricade and got stuck over the bridge," said Sgt. Tevita Hafoka, with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

Hafoka said the grey Dodge Durango was unoccupied when officers arrived, and they are currently working to locate its owner.

The section of the highway from Sixth Street in Baldwin City to East 1400 Road is currently closed to traffic for a project by the Kansas Department of Transportation. Three bridges along the highway are being replaced.

Delbert Sheldon, of rural Douglas County, saw the vehicle in the construction site around 8:30 a.m. Sunday and called the authorities.

Comments

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 4 months ago

I noticed that someone had hit one of the large detour signs at Baldwin Junction (56-59 Jct.) yesterday. Looked like enough damage to the sign that it would have damaged the car too. Two more months for the highway to open, EVERYONE in the Baldwin area will be happy I am sure. So oooooo much highway construction to contend with over the last 5-7 years on highway 59, then KDOT closes highway 56, the other main road to town. And of course the City of Baldwin also had 1055 closed last year at this time, people were re-routed on a country road 1 mile east, poor planning for Maple Leaf Festival. At least on this construction job the time frame is scheduled to be done before the Festival. Everyone can only hope so.

Mike Ford 1 year, 4 months ago

it sickens me to see how they've destroyed the creek area where I photographed turkey and deer. they'll probably destroy the wetlands even more.

Phoghorn 1 year, 4 months ago

I am not anything close to being an environmentalist, but I did hate to see the rock formation at Baldwin Junction taken out with the new 59. But that is progress, I suppose. At the same time, I do enjoy the new road...

50YearResident 1 year, 4 months ago

Destroyed? You call building a new bridge destroying the environment? Any turkeys and deer will still be there after the construction is completed.

blindrabbit 1 year, 4 months ago

50 year: Fifty years ago it was virtually impossible to see any deer or turkeys in Kansas! Both species were essentially wiped out by the agricultural practices in the latter 1800's and first part of the 20th century. While working at a local sporting goods store in the early 1950's, I remember a farmer reporting seeing a deer out near Midland Junction, nobody believed it. For many years Kansas was the only lower 48 that did not have a deer season, the reason, no deer, same for turkeys. Be happy now, white tailed deer thrive around human habitation, especially in the urban/suburban landscape we have now with more forest cover and less intense agricultural row cropping. Hardly a destroyer from a white tail deer's perspective.

LogicMan 1 year, 4 months ago

Any left were likely all taken and eaten during the Great Depression.

riverdrifter 1 year, 4 months ago

I remember my dad came home one day in the early '60s and was amazed. He'd seen a whitetail buck at the bottom of Big (Baldwin) hill ..."and it had horns!"

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

---"oops! I ferguuut!"

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 4 months ago

They are replacing 3 bridges on highway 56, all east of highway 59 and just inside the west side of town.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

Oh Py, he (almost certainly was a male driver) just grew up watching Dukes of Hazard!

frankfussman 1 year, 4 months ago

I informed MapQuest about this detour two months ago, but they have still not updated their site. They still show the road from Lawrence to Baldwin going south on Hy 59 and then east on Hy 56!!!???

Mike Ford 1 year, 4 months ago

I love how the conversation destroyers run amok here. All of the construction has polluted the scenery I used to see when the turkeys walked up the hill from the creek and allowed me to photograph them from a distance. Do the distractors understand me know?

tanaumaga 1 year, 4 months ago

We all have polluted the scenery by existing. Next.

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 4 months ago

40+ years ago there was a black bear in west Baldwin city, which was promptly shot and killed. Probably someone's pet, as none other has been seen since. Hopefully today a bear would be tranquilized, then moved to a better habitat.