Opinion

Opinion

Editorial: Step aside

December 30, 2012

To the editor:

I think John Boehner and the Republicans should step aside (and let Obama do what he does best, tax and spend) with the understanding he does not like anything about Obama’s plan. If we go over the “fiscal cliff,” the Republicans will get blamed and hurt our chances in 2016. Give Obama enough rope and he will … well, you know what I mean. This will be his legacy. ‘Nuff said.

Comments

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

So what will you do if Obama's plans helps our nation get back on her feet? Will you write a letter to the editor and acknowledge that you were wrong?

And why couldn't you complete the saying of giving a person enough rope to hang themselves? Why be coy about it? Or do you recognize that it isn't probably the most appropriate saying to use in reference a black man because it brings up images of lynching in that context? You have so many other choices for idioms to express the same idea - that Obama is responsible for the results of his plans.

It would be nice if you would apply the same standard to John Boehner and the Republicans but I'm fairly certain that you and other like-minded folk will continue to make excuses as to why you and other like-minded folk don't have to be responsible for the results of your actions.

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

And for those who are going to screech "race card", the LTE could have avoided the connotation that comes with that saying by not being so "nudge nudge, wink wink" about it.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

Upon first reading the letter, I missed the connotation about black man + rope = lynching. I guess I was more focused on the fiscal cliff aspect of the letter. Upon reading your comment, Katara, I do see the connotation. The letter writer did indeed use a poor choice of words. I wonder if she realized it when she wrote the letter or only after it was pointed out later, by you?

notaubermime 1 year, 11 months ago

Really? I thought it was kind of obvious myself. Saying: "give Obama enough rope and he will … well, you know what I mean" disrupts the flow of the narrative. Rather than avoiding or minimizing a racist connotation, it actually highlights the connotation because it is so disruptive.

It looks to me like the LTE was trying to be cute about the situation and failed. She would have been better off just not going that route. There isn't anything amusing about stirring-up people's emotions on America's racist past.

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

Exactly. The LTE thought she was being cutesy about it and all it did was emphasize a racist connotation whereas if she simply just used the full idiom in a straightforward manner, no one would have thought twice about it.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

notaubermime says, "It looks to me ...", Katara "thought" the letter writer was trying to be cute.

What was in the letter writer's heart? What was her intent?

Personally, I don't know. But given that racism, race baiting, race card, etc. are some of the most serious accusations a person can make against another, I'm inclined to to err on the side of caution and give the letter writer the benefit of the doubt. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

notaubermime 1 year, 11 months ago

Thankfully, I did not claim that the LTE writer was racist or intentionally race baiting. Instead, I stated that I thought that the person was trying to be cute and it backfired.

I generally find you to be one of my favorite posters on here, so hopefully you will forgive me for tweaking your nose a bit here: "But given that racism, race baiting, race card, etc. are some of the most serious accusations a person can make against another, I'm inclined to to err on the side of caution and give the letter writer the benefit of the doubt." I actually smile a bit each time I read this. You have been far more free with labeling people as racist of late than I have ever been prone to doing. Whether your accusations are valid or not, I probably epitomize that sentence better than you do.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

Ouch. My nose just got tweaked. :-)

Maybe I have made the accusation a bit more of late. I just finished just such an admonition on another thread. I guess I come from the perspective that when there is a volume of evidence suggestive that such an accusation is appropriate, then there is validity in the accusation. And because racism is so heinous, the accusation itself needs to be based on just that volume of evidence, in my opinion. Not on a one time comment that might be taken as having racial undertones, but maybe not.

This is just my way of looking at things, but when I see Obama, I don't see a black man. At least, that's not what I see at first. First, I see the President of the United States. I see our elected leader. I see our representative. I see a statesman. I see a father and a husband. I see many things. And yes, oh by the way, he is black. That's just how I see things. So when the original letter caught my eye, I didn't immediately make the connection to lynchings in our past. I did see it when Katara pointed it out. But I'm still unclear if the letter writer made the connection, as Katara did, or was it just a poor choice of words. Let her write a dozen more letters, each with a subtle innuendo, and I might be inclined to jump on board. For now, I'll sit firmly on the fence.

notaubermime 1 year, 11 months ago

Sorry, it was just sitting there waiting for it!

I didn't immediately make the connection of lynching either. I wondered why the letter-writer didn't write the whole idiom about giving someone enough rope to hang themselves. It took me a second before I made the same connection that Katara did. I definitely would not have taken the time to find that explanation it if the writer had just finished the idiom.

I actually disagree with you on the subject of the heinousness of racism. Its not that I think that it is good, just that there are a lot of other really despicable things that people do and I don't see racism as being especially worse than any other sort of bigotry (religious, gender, sexuality, etc.). That said, I would agree with you that the person you are labeling as racist deserves the designation... as much or more than anyone else here.

In my opinion, calling someone racist isn't bad because a racist is so horrible, but because people use it more frequently than it applies. Using words like "racist" or "Nazi" is done so frequently in cases that do not actually apply renders the words less potent for the times where it does. This isn't to say that you are culpable in this problem, just to elucidate that we likely avoid these sorts of terms for different reasons. I don't really care what horrible names I call people, I just want the horrible names to mean something when I do.

Liberty275 1 year, 11 months ago

Like you have to be a certain color to be hanged. "Give em enough rope" is part of the vernacular and has nothing to do with what a person looks like.

fiddleback 1 year, 11 months ago

"Give em enough rope" is a part of the vernacular anyone with half a brain would avoid when referring to an African American, about 3,500 of whom were lynched (the most popular form of racially-motivated murder) over the past 130 years.

If she insisted on that metaphor, she could have at least referred to the Democrats plurally. I still don't think she's being deliberately racist. Just really, really, really dumb.

grammaddy 1 year, 11 months ago

I love it when the same idiots who trashed the economy and are now trying to throw us over the fiscal cliff try to blame Obama. Teaparty much?

Frank Hays 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, we know what happened under the previous administration. Cut taxes and spend like no tomorrow and then blame it all on the new guy as the economy slips over the edge. How did all that work out for you? Obama has kept our shaky economy afloat under a very difficult set of circumstances with a do nothing Congress. Actually going over the cliff would probably be a good thing with all of the necessary military cuts on the table.

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed, going over the cliff would be great. Obama can finally own this economic debacle he has managed to slip the last 4 years

Mike Myers 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow Margaret Rogers. Wow, just wow. LJWORLD I am quite surprised that you would publish such a blatantly racist comment. What a horrible thing to read.

weeslicket 1 year, 11 months ago

the movie is about a poster who joined (again) on december 25, 2012.

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

The movie is Willy Wonka part 2. This is the story where the boys and girls were promised lots of free candy, now it's time for the candy man to produce. Needless to say the D will be silent when Disapointed

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Where’s the money to fix America in addition to jobs jobs jobs?

Stop giving investors a sweetheart deal =
Additional revenue: $533 billion over 10 years.

Quit subsidizing mansions and vacation homes =
Additional revenue: $214.6 billion over 10 years.

End the "step up" giveaway on inherited stocks =
Additional revenue: $764 billion over 10 years.

Revitalize the "death tax" =
Additional revenue: $432 billion over 10 years.

Heed America's favorite investment guru =
Additional revenue: $171 billion over 10 years.

Reset back to Clinton-era tax rates for upper incomes =
Additional revenue: $442 billion over 10 years.

Take agribusiness giants off the federal teat =
Additional revenue: $112 billion over 10 years.

End oil and gas drilling in Washington, DC =
Additional revenue: $158 billion over 10 years.

Forget cap and trade: Impose a carbon tax instead =
Additional revenue: $1.25 trillion over 10 years.

Stop giving corporations an excuse to hide profits and send jobs abroad =
Additional revenue: $583 billion over 10 years.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes President Obama and the Democrats have many more options in which to bring this economy around and completely forget about the alleged Fiscal Cliff.

First off Uncle Sam needs to employ as many workers as necessary to rehab our nations federal highways and bridges that are 70 years old.

Second the president should fill all the regulation enforcement vacancies that guard our food,pharmaceuticals,home loans and insurance industries. The IRS vacancies as well.

Then we do this: Robin Hood tax http://www.robinhoodtax.org

rwwilly 1 year, 11 months ago

Sounds great, merrill. Does the name FDR and the Great Depression mean anything to you? FDR tried the same thing. He and his socialist cronies hired everyone who could walk, talk or breathe and put them to work building dams, roads, parks...you name it. Only one problem. The economy was in worse shape in '39 then '32. No, I'm not kidding. Check historical records yourself if you don't believe me. There is a not so subtle difference between filling the government ranks with workers and truly expanding the economy which is what needs to be done. Don't look to Obama who has a mere four years private sector work experience for a vision.

deec 1 year, 11 months ago

How do you define "in worse shape?" Here's an interesting article about the WPA and more generally the New Deal with a chart at the bottom of unemployment rates, etc.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Make no mistake herein lies the problem: aka GOP ENTITLEMENT.

The repub party declared the day Obama was elected their primary function would be to make Obama a one term president. Consequently their millions of NO votes became the disastrous campaign against women,The USA and jobs for Americans. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/09/did-republicans-deliberately-crash-us-economy

People in America need jobs which means the USA cannot wait another 4 years. Congress has options therefore there is no reason to repeat the performance of the past 4 years. Millions of jobs that cannot be outsourced will provide new economic growth thus squashing any Fiscal Cliff.

This GOP will hold millions upon millions upon millions of jobless Americans hostage so they can play their games.

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

"It's time for democrats to step up to the plate and stop playing this game. It's time to move forward and cut the nonsense."

rwwilly 1 year, 11 months ago

The author has a point. The real problem is the long lasting effects of Obamas excessive spending will not be felt for, perhaps,10 to 20 years when debt payments become 10-15% of the overall budget. The "fairness" issue aside, current interest rates hovering around zero are not the historical norm. When rates rise and debt payments go through the ceiling you won't have the "rich" anymore to sustain your revenue growth. Then what? Obama is mortgaging your children's future and your children's children. This is a difficult concept for liberals who have been feeding at the goverment trough for generations to understand. Obama will be comfortably retired to Hawaii on a nice pension by then.

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks - I like those sorts of fact based sites.

Spending is high, at about 25% of GDP, while revenues are low, at about 14% of it. It's clear that we need higher revenues and lower spending to balance the budget intelligently.

Those who focus on borrowing to cover spending ignore the possibility of raising taxes and tax revenue to cover it instead, which is better from my point of view.

bisky1 1 year, 11 months ago

instead of taxing the rich would it not be wiser to raise revenue? oh, and cut spending.

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

Raise revenue ? That would require 2 things.

1) A decent economy

2) People willing/able to work in revenue producing jobs

What have the last 4 years taught us? We have neither

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

There is no real danger in going over the cliff = the cliff is repub theatre. Let's go for the cliff. The new congress can make repairs if necessary.

However there is a Guide to Going Off the Cliff. It doesn't look all that scary.

George Zornick on December 29, 2012 http://www.thenation.com/blog/171932/guide-going-cliff

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

There are some ENTITLEMENTS that need to be investigated and brought before a grand jury. These entitlements have wrecked the USA economy and placed millions upon millions out of jobs. It seems to me many white collars should be in jail.

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - TABOR is Coming by Grover Norquist = Grab Your Wallets! http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2005/0705rebne.html

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Bailing out The Reagan/Bush Savings and Loan Heist aka home loan scandal sent the economy out the window costing taxpayers many many $$ trillions (Cost taxpayers $1.4 trillion), Plus millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. http://rationalrevolution0.tripod.com/war/bush_family_and_the_s.htm

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT Bailing out the Bush/Cheney Home Loan Wall Street Bank Fraud cost consumers $ trillions, millions of jobs, loss of retirement plans and loss of medical insurance. Exactly like the Reagan/Bush home loan scam. Déjà vu can we say. Yep seems to be a pattern. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2009/0709macewan.html

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Bush/Cheney implied many financial institutions were at risk instead of only 3? One of the biggest lies perpetrated to American citizens. Where did this money go? Why were some banks forced to take bail out money? http://www.democracynow.org/2009/9/10/good_billions_after_bad_one_year

--- RECKLESS GOP Tax cuts = THE GOP ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy which do nothing to make an economy strong or produce jobs. Tax cuts are a tax increase to others in order to make up the loss in revenue = duped again. Bush Tax Cuts aka

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT program for the wealthy is at the expense of the middle class = duped one more time. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2001/0301miller.html

--- In the end big debt and super duper bailouts HAVE BEEN the results which does not seem to bother Republicans, as long as they are in power.

--- In fact, by the time the second Bush left office, the national debt had grown to $12.1 trillion:

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Over half of that amount had been created by Bush’s tax cuts for the very wealthy.

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Another 30% of the national debt had been created by the tax cuts for the wealthy under Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

--- This GOP ENTITLEMENT - Fully 81% of the national debt was created by just these three Republican Presidents. http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2010/0111orr.html

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Breaking News ...for now on the cliff. Social Security is off the table for the moment. That makes sense.

How do we get Mitch McConnell off the tax dollar payroll..... talk about entitlements. This dude is wasteful.

Those sweet congressional retirement plans are truly entitlements.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

Medicare Single Payer Insurance for All should be introduced as a choice for those who wish to indulge. It would certainly reduce the cost of government and school districts substantially.

Guide to Going Over the Cliff which does not look real scary... http://www.thenation.com/blog/171932/guide-going-cliff

The new boys an girls can come in and settle this matter.

From all that I've read there so many sources for money. Congress should take time out from raising campaign funds to educate themselves. As it is it is the same ole crap year after year.

Seems like congress could be among the most misinformed.

uncleandyt 1 year, 11 months ago

There are sites that Rush and Beck and Loufa Bill haven't mentioned. I will send them each a letter asking them to tell their followers to also not bother checking out Democracy Now, The Young Turks, Sam Seder, The Professional Left Podcast, Ring of Fire, The Nation, Mother Jones, anything from Matt Taibi, Firedog Lake, Alternet, David Pakman, international sources, Crooks and Liars, TruthOut, BraveNewFilms, CredoMobile, Aesop's Fables, and Dr. Suess. Expand your info. There is a lot to learn.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 11 months ago

The crimes that Obama is guilty of:

1. Having a foreign sounding name.
  2. Getting affordable health care for the poor who might otherwise die or end up on the street homeless.
  3. Force the wealthiest Americans to give up tax cuts they were unfairly given in the first place under the false premise that their extra bonuses would actually fund two wars.
  4. Letting black folks live in the all White House.

You know after all these years I still expect more from a woman.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 11 months ago

Thats what is wrong with this country, people reading in what they want on someones innocent letter, I am sure she didn't give it a thought when she was wriiting it.

hedshrinker 1 year, 11 months ago

just like you probably didn't give yr handle/alias a thought when you were writing it...I wonder what you thought the readers shouldn't read into yr intentions about that, "FlintlockRifle"?

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

If she didn't give it a thought when she was writing it, she would have completed writing the full idiom instead of "well, you know what I mean".

msezdsit 1 year, 11 months ago

yep and rightfully so.

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, I agree that the R should stop obstructing and let Obama and the D implement their policies.

Then, when the results of those are clear, they should get full praise or blame for them - historically, the economy has done best when we have both a D president and D Congress, and worst with R in both.

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed, how many months now without a budget ? Not even a budget with the D's in total control. Forward - off the cliff !

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

I would like to congratulate our President on the exceptional job of leadership he has provided as we go over the " fiscal cliff ". Congrats also to those with the vision and foresight to think anything else would be different by re-electing the candy man to another term. Have a Happy New Year !

uncleandyt 1 year, 11 months ago

"this award winning website" is a phrase that brings back memories of hand-me-down-nonsense posts of yore. Your Radio is lying to you. Obama governs to the right of Ronaldus Maximus. Things are surrealer than you know. Calm down, your "side" is in the lead.

JohnBrown 1 year, 11 months ago

The fact-free world of the Tea Baggers is amusing. Republicans are to blame for 75% (+/-) of our national debt. Reagan tops the list for using the credit card, but W did a fine job too. In fact, under W (and with the aid of Brownback) the US depleted its annual surplus and drove us into debt AND set up the on-going recession, thereby setting up the next president for more deficits.

Democrats may "tax and spend" but all Republicans do is "Spend". Which one makes more sense?

JohnBrown

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

Why isn't "tax and spend" better, relatively speaking, than "borrow and spend" or "print and spend"?

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, he asked which makes more sense. Neither does.

Would you rather lose your left eye or your right hand? Your left leg or one lung? You could choose one and argue it's better than the other, but I could argue they're both equally bad or I could argue the opposite of you. Neither of us would be right. Neither of us would be wrong.

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually your icon of duhmocrats has racked up debt faster then anyone in his tenure of terror on USA-IOU. Next 60 days Dobama plans on aking for a few more trillion. The guy is a joke