Opinion

Opinion

Parking problem

April 25, 2012

To the editor:

Well, I see the City Commission, in its infinite wisdom, has done it again. I’m referring to the no RV parking near South Park. You did manage to run off two individuals who didn’t quite fit Larryville’s definition of normal, but what else might you have done? Let me ask you this. Where am I supposed to park when I come downtown? I do that more infrequently than you know. I drive a 22-foot motor home, and that’s the only area near downtown I can find where it’s legal and reasonably easy to park.

Now I can understand you don’t care about them or me, but what about the travelers in motor homes and RVs passing through Lawrence who don’t want to park at Walmart, unhitch their vehicle — if they even tow one — then drive back to downtown. Once again not a great loss, but a loss. Don’t you think this action won’t make the rounds of the MH/RV community? “Don’t try to park near downtown Lawrence. There’s nothing available for you.”

Yep, gotta give you guys credit; you hit your self right in the foot with this move.

Comments

skinny 2 years, 5 months ago

Guess now you'll be forced to use your car, hmmm.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 5 months ago

Take the empT it always has plenty of room.

JackMcKee 2 years, 5 months ago

You can still park there, you just can't camp there.

akt2 2 years, 5 months ago

I think someone has relocated their RV to the parking lot behind the old Borders store. It's there every day.

John Hamm 2 years, 5 months ago

Ah the responses I expected: 1) Don't own an automobile 2) Doesn't run after 8:00pm or on holidays or Sunday 3) Not as I read it 4) Yes, I am. Targeting two individuals parking per city regulations then prohibiting others from being able to park there 5) And your point is? Lawrence "Liberals" Ya gotta love 'em in their (um can't quite come up with the correct word here) I'll just leave it open but suggest it doesn't refer to an abundance of intelligence.

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think it was liberals who pushed this. This was the result of a few busybodies who want to tell everyone else what to do and how to live instead of minding their own business. You know, "small government"conservatives.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm curious as to why parking in the old Border's parking lot is a bad idea? It's downtown. It's free. it's legal. it's convenient.

Oh, my comment is in response to your "5) "And your point is?"

gccs14r 2 years, 5 months ago

My understanding is that oversize vehicle parking is prohibited only on Mass south of 11th, along South Park St, and along Vermont next to the park. There is other parking nearby, whether on Vermont, or New Hampshire, or maybe in the cop shop lot.

Ragingbear 2 years, 5 months ago

If you drive an RV as your primary vehicle, you are just an idiot. With the money spent on gas in a month, you can buy a nice used car and have it paid off in 6 months. Or get a scooter, which is ideal for Lawrence downtown, and pay less than 3 grand for a new one.

Ragingbear 2 years, 5 months ago

Forcing? I forced the guy to drive an RV as his primary vehicle? Or perhaps I forced him to dump hundreds of dollars in gas in his vehicle every month. Perhaps I forced the city to not allow RV's to park there? What exactly did I force?

BTW, cheeseburgers are a sin. It's in the bible.

Ragingbear 2 years, 5 months ago

I said if his primary vehicle was an RV that he was an idiot. Perhaps saying that he is an idiot was not the proper word. What's the proper term for somebody that makes ill informed decisions without looking into the overall impact on their lives and those of those around them? Oh yeah. It's Republican.

Ragingbear 2 years, 5 months ago

Keep your cheeseburgers, I like eating food that isn't composed of pink slime.

somedude20 2 years, 5 months ago

“The body is God’s temple, and too many cheeseburgers messes up the temple…” 1 Corinthians 6

I hope they serve cheeseburgers in hell!

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Eet ees, funny, seesco, la temperatura, she reaches 90 & personas get all caliente under the cuello.

dude needs to keep his twerpy roller house away from the park.

swampyankee 2 years, 5 months ago

If you call someone an idiot because they drive an RV you are an a%%%ho** none of your business Raving Bare

Katara 2 years, 5 months ago

Why would you want to drive an RV downtown?

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

Because that is his vehicle. If he wishes to go downtown, he drives his vehicle, same as everyone else.

Katara 2 years, 5 months ago

Most vehicles don't take up the room an RV does. Why would someone want to drive an RV downtown when it is difficult enough to do so in a car? Those things don't stop on a dime. It is difficult to turn from Mass onto one of the sidestreets in a larger vehicle. Have you seen some of the buses attempt to do it?

It isn't very practical. I don't understand why you would want to do something like that. It certainly would take the pleasure of out driving an RV when attempting to navigate downtown.

Most travelers in RVs or motorhomes usually don't drive downtown in most cities they are visiting. It is just so cumbersome to do so.

Katara 2 years, 5 months ago

Most RVs and motorhomes I see traveling are usually towing a car along or have a rack full of bikes. That seems way more practical than what this guy is wanting to do.

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

It Is a small unit, 22 feet long. That is only about 3 1/2 feet longer than an Escalade or a full size van. The Roadtrek 210 RV vans are 21' 11". I imagine the fedex trucks that go downtown are about the same size, and they don't seem to have great difficulty maneuvering.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

John Hamm has it right on the money.

The new ordinance is unfriendly to senior citizens who do spend a lot of time running about the country. Not all tow another vehicle just in case.

People passing through town won't be aware of this ordinance. In fact may feel safe spending a night or two at this location. I've seen RV"s and such parked in the downtown St Louis business district.

The two that the law was pointed at.... what crimes did they commit while parked there?

Richard Heckler 2 years, 5 months ago

In fact I believe they were abiding by the existing law of moving every few days.

JackMcKee 2 years, 5 months ago

moving 10 feet to the next parking spot? go back to copy n paste.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

Has anybody seen my bucket? I was doing some organic recycling in it....

Hudson Luce 2 years, 5 months ago

There's a simple solution - park the RV in the lower City Hall parking lot. Lots of room, it's out of the way, and it's a short walk to Mass Ave.

Hudson Luce 2 years, 5 months ago

That's the lot which is at the northern end of New York Street. There's even an elevator people can ride to get up to street level, and I'm pretty sure it's handicap-accessible.

gccs14r 2 years, 5 months ago

Last couple of days dude with the trailer was parked on Delaware in front of Hobbs Park.