Opinion

Opinion

Auto-centric life

April 17, 2012

To the editor:

Surely one of the saddest sites in all of Lawrence is the massive student parking lot at Free State High School. Our addiction to the auto-centric life begins with education!  From the hundreds and hundreds of cars parked there on a daily basis, one wonders if any students walk, ride a bike or use the bus to attend school.

I was somewhat intrigued then to read of the recent efforts of the Free State teacher to raise money for additional exercise equipment for the school (“Autograph collection to be auctioned off to buy exercise gear,” Journal-World, April 15). Seventy thousand dollars worth of new cardio machines might help to combat student obesity, although there might be less expensive options to encourage students to get more exercise.

Comments

Armstrong 3 years, 3 months ago

Look at the bright side Ray, if Obama gets re-elected we may all be walking

dwendel 3 years, 3 months ago

It's comforting to know there are still birthers out there. Way to pump up your credibility rockchalk!

Armstrong 3 years, 3 months ago

Glad to see at least someone on the left can admit Obama is a total failure

Gotalife 3 years, 3 months ago

I see the right wing looney meter has been turned on tonight LOL. Blah, blah, blah, blah- all this Obama blame is a smokescreen, a way to avoid the terror that is felt now that Obama has a double digit lead. Love it!

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

Congrats. The very first post turns into an anti-Obama rant. Slow news day? Isn't there another article for you? What does this letter have to do with President Obama?

hpp422 3 years, 3 months ago

Just for the record.....gas prices are controlled by the OPEC oil ministers and the Wall Street Speculators and no one controlls them!

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

look at the brighter side.....dumb kansans who forgot what Bush did and how the tea party and emasculated republicans have done everything possible to make sure no one can fix Bush's wrongs through obstruction and outright racism veiled in repeated lies. Better yet look at the way these public school dismantlers are trying to create taxpayer versus school bloodshed with crazy Brownback school funding policies where tea partiers kill LOB after LOB and your kid winds up in a praise Jesus school in violation of the separation of church and state with public vouchers....remember the Corkins character and the creationism nonsense of five or six years ago. As the son of a deceased Kansas teacher and librarian who was let go because of the me first forget you republicans in Emporia in the 1990's I know firsthand how dumb some of the constituents in this state are. I've lived here since Reagan's first term. Keep repeating lies.... some kansans are dumb enough to believe them

cato_the_elder 3 years, 3 months ago

Tuschkahouma, get off your tusch, take a happy pill, and enjoy life. I do that every day despite the fact that Obama is the worst president in modern history. You'll find that can do the same.

Tókhi wániphika ní.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

Armstrong 3 years, 3 months ago

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 3 months ago

grammaddy 3 years, 3 months ago

Better yet,why don't we just give back everything our ancestors took from the Native Americans."land owned by the taxpayers"?Really? Talk about "down to the core biggots".

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

I think they should try to take it back.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 3 months ago

Haskell and all other "entitlements" are the result of obligations written into law many years ago. Part of the stipulation was Indians would not "try to take it back". Indians have held up their end of the law. The US has balked at every turn.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

If we haven't held up our end of the bargain, then they should try take it back. That's only fair, wouldn't you say?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

getting a little comment spam in this morning, are we?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Whatever happened to the poster with the avatar of Gen. Ripper who used to get into frothing rages about cars? Did he/she/it get sent off the pitch?

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

When I was a kid, I walked 13 miles to school and 13 back home... in 3 feet of snow. Just to add insult to injury, it was uphill both ways.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

High school! You were lucky to have a high school! We used to study in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

Katara 3 years, 3 months ago

You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to have classes in a corridor!

parrothead8 3 years, 3 months ago

You chose to live 13 miles from your kids' school. You could have made a different choice. And I find it hilarious that someone who has averaged nine posts a day for seven months has something to say about others with "nothing else to do all day" than post on the forum.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

Mr Finch, cars are freedom. Why do you hate freedom?

Kirk Larson 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually, I feel we are more slaves to our cars.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

In Soviet America, gas pedal pushes Cappy.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

I just got new tires for my 18.5 HP lawn tractor. I can cut our residential lot in about 10 minutes, front yard and back. Since I'm spending less time mowing, I'm saving gas and therefore being more green.

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually, last time I looked, it's about a wash, between the extra gas used and the less time involved.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

cato_the_elder 3 years, 3 months ago

Jeez, what's "racist" about wishing someone good luck?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

labmonkey 3 years, 3 months ago

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

They (the kids) learned it (being fat and lazy) by watching you, (Dad)

"I learned it by watching you." "I learned it by watching you." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Elr5...

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Automobiles are tools of the white devils.

labmonkey 3 years, 3 months ago

Okay... so tuschkahouma can make racist rants all over the place, but when I call him out on it I get TOS'ed? Is it his lack of punctuation and capitalization that cause you to skip over him? If I made the comments about Native Americans, African Americans, or Hispanics that he consistently makes about white people, I would not only be TOSed, but disappeareded.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

His ... eternal ... victimhood ... trumps ... all... (from a source)

labmonkey 3 years, 3 months ago

Jerry Reed singing about Fords seems almost heresy. Every time I hear Jerry Reed I think about TransAms.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

Every time somebody say's TransAm, I think of Sally Field changing clothes 30 years ago.

labmonkey 3 years, 3 months ago

Every time someone mentions Sally Field, I think of how much she cared for Forrest's education.

Fossick 3 years, 3 months ago

"And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free. "

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

That or driving an 18 wheeler with an elephant and a doctor in the trailer. Ahh Jerry Reed did make some great records tho. Underrated.

Fossick 3 years, 3 months ago

And lots and lots O' Coors.

Bootlegging, FTW.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

no snap, your eternal flip a comment and deny move trumps it all.... you do it everytime.

deec 3 years, 3 months ago

Yup. Just like building a fitness center that is so far of town out that everyone has to drive to reach it to exercise.