Letters to the Editor

Legal bigotry

April 10, 2012

To the editor:

Shame on the Kansas Legislature for creating and forwarding the Kansas Preservation of Religious Freedom Act. This bigoted law essentially legalizes discrimination based on sexual orientation and will override the anti-discrimination ordinance of Lawrence.

The “right” to discriminate under this new law would extend not only to businesses, but to any institution or person offering services, such as universities and individual teachers. Landlords, restaurants, doctors and insurance agencies could presumably refuse to do business with lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender residents under the guise of protecting “religious freedom.”

My question: Why does this law’s bigotry stop at the LGBT community? Why strip American citizen rights only from our LGBT friends and loved ones? I’m sure there are those who believe the Bible frowns on women working outside the home. Why not allow the option to fire or refuse to hire women? Non-Christians? People of color? The answer is that if these groups were included, this legislation would be seen for the radical, bigoted, draconian, un-American piece of garbage it is.

The targeted LGBT population is not politically strong enough, even with its burgeoning number of supporters, to block laws directed against them. And though these laws will surely be proven unconstitutional and struck down in the future, it will only be after more suffering among this persecuted population. Shame on the Kansas Legislature for using its power, not to guide our society into further enlightenment, fairness and freedom for ALL citizens, but to push it backwards toward ignorance and bigotry.

Comments

gudpoynt 2 years ago

So what is the difference between a doctor who chooses not to perform abortions based on personal religious beliefs (which is currently allowed by law), and a landlord who chooses not to rent to gays based on personal religious beliefs (which is currently not allowed by law, for now)?

Mike Ford 2 years ago

Armored_One 2 years ago

"I don't get it."

What is there not to get? Maybe this line from an old piece of parchment will ring a bell or two.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal"

Granted, the time period that this comes from was not exactly friendly to anyone that was not male and/or white. The cold, practical truth, however, is as impossible to ignore as air.

Either all of us are born equal, live as equals, and die as equals, or none of us are equal, there are people that are better people than you are, deserve more because of it, and should have to do less to achieve it. The rules that apply to you don't have ot apply to the person next to you, or behind you, or in the same room as you.

A law shouldn't have exceptions. There shouldn't be laws that pertain only to white people, or black people, or green people. There shouldn't be laws that only affect women, or only affect men.

There shouldn't be laws that allow religion to bypass the same laws everyone else has to abide by, either.

Faith and belief are wonderful things, but they are intensely personal, and should be kept that way. Organized religion, in this day and age, is nothing more than a political party that doesn't have to pay taxes on it's property. Christianity, as it is presented in this century, as well as the most recently century past, is no longer one that raises to poor up to stand on their feet again.

Christianity is a wonderful concept. Sadly, people got involved and everything went downhill from there.

Pause and take stock some time just how many laws religious institutions in this country are expempted from following, despite the founding document of this nation directly stating that Congress shall pass no laws that either establish a national religion, or even just endorse one religion over another.

The Ten Commandments, the actual laws and not the movie, are a really awesome idea for the most part. That whole not covetting thing would destroy the world economy if no one ever saw something their neighbor had and wanted the same thing, or something even better. But other than that, the really big rules in there are just pretty good, all told.

The excrement modern Christians spew forth is nothing even approaching the key teaching of Jesus, which was most excellently stated in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure by Abraham Lincoln.

Be excellent to each other.

citizen1 2 years ago

Jafs my comments were not of a personal nature. I am sorry to say that society does not always find a particular piece of legislation "acceptable". A major example is Roe V Wade.

citizen1 2 years ago

Actually Sharon, Lawrence's law is in direct conflict with the constitution which grants religious freedom. So we have a conflict.

I don't care what laws exist or not some mind numbed robot is going to do what ever they want regarding discrimination. The issue here is winning hearts & minds. You can not legislate behavior. Yes you catch a few here & there but that does not deter behavior in the big picture, it just makes it more subtle.

If I might suggest, time would be better spent communicating positive reasons regarding why LGBT behavior is acceptable.

Laws don't make issues acceptable, they just make things legal. Heats & Minds Sharon, Hearts & Minds. That is where the issue is won or lost.

Lateralis 2 years ago

"I don't care what anybody does as long as Obama gives me free stuff!" - weiser

He'll give you the complete destruction of the dollar for free. Maybe more body bags from the extracurricular military operations he wishes to wage w/o congressional approval.

weiser 2 years ago

I don't care what anybody does as long as Obama gives me free stuff!

Lateralis 2 years ago

"Now I see what you "doom and gloomer's" are "deathly" afraid of." - False Hope

I'd add that I'm deathly afraid of the national debt and how much Obamacare is going to contribute. It doesn't seem to be a concern to the Obamacare supporters because the concept of paying a debt is secondary to getting what you want. They don't care how much it costs or the impact it will have on the debt......ultimately contributing to the destruction of the dollar. All we have to do is take a close look at Greece. Wake up people other countries are dumping the dollar as the reserve currency. If you're not concerned you should be.

autie 2 years ago

FalseHope guy, the gloom and doom is.....that many people believe that this so called preservation act will allow for the legal discrimination against people based on the discriminators religious believes, which in turn it is feared (and justly) that this is an affront and erosion of civil liberties everywhere. First one can discriminate based on religious belief then it will be something else. The march of authortarian thought begins with small steps, duping the unsuspecting masses. If you cannot or fail to see how this law is not an erosion of civil rights I feel there is no Hope for you and your user name is apt. False.

JohnBrown 2 years ago

Let's hear it for the Kansas version of Sharia Law. The American Taliban are very active here today.

Lateralis 2 years ago

Bigotry is and should be protected under the constitution.....on private property.

Ragingbear 2 years ago

I believe that being a Republican is against my faith. Therefore, I get to legally persecute Republicans without legal repercussions. Hooray me!

tomatogrower 2 years ago

I posted this on the other LTE that is on the same stupid law. What she is saying is get out of other people's bedrooms and lives, if you want to do business in the United States. If you are doing business, just do business. Quit worrying about who is sleeping with whom, what that person's religion is, where that person's family is originally from, what the color of their skin is, what their disability is. If they have the money to do business with you, then take care of business only. You do not need a personal relationship with your customers. If you can't do that, move or work for someone else. Or go off and be a hermit. I will do business with anyone, even if they are a pompous, holier than thou religious fanatic, who hates people of color and gays.

I'm a business person, not a monitor for other's personal believes and behavior. If you are a student in a school, don't talk to any student who is not like you. Ignoring someone is not calling them names and bullying them. It's none of your business if they are gay, unless you are interested in them sexually.

You are not responsible for other people's souls, but you are responsible for your own behavior, and renting to a "good" Christian married couple, who tear up your house and don't pay the rent, is not more desirable to renting to a gay couple who maintain your house as if they owned it, and pay you on time. But I guess if you are that stupid, you get what you deserve. It's called karma, and I see it coming back to bite people all the time.

asixbury 2 years ago

No one should be discriminated against because they have a different sexual preference, despite what anyone's religion says. Religion has not place in politics. In the future, this ridiculous, soon-to-be government sanctioned, bigotry towards LGBT will be looked back on in much the same way as slavery is now. Do you even know or care about anyone that is gay or lesbian? I have a very dear family member that could be affected by this backwards law. The thought of someone treating him wrong because of something he does in the privacy of his own home is maddening!

somedude20 2 years ago

You would think that the Republicans would be more open to the gay community since so many of them (Mark Foley, Larry Craig, Ed Schrock, Ted Haggard, ect) are homosexual. Of course Craig was, at least publicly, a very anti-gay person so maybe that is how they roll (in the light of day, gays go away but in the dead of night, yum yum delight)

Isn't being divorced a "sin" that should be discriminated against as well. If you are weak-minded and need religion to get you through life, fine but please PLEASE PLEASE stop putting your stupid morals and religious values on the rest of us as it is BS. Funny how we can look at the Greeks and say, wow, how could anyone believe such a farce but here we are today with a number of sheep who need some magic to get them through their lives, fine but follow your own rules and leave the rest out of it.

Gotland 2 years ago

Bigotry has never been illegal. Nor should it be.

Milton Bland 2 years ago

Douglas County is such a wonderful place to live, unless you happen to be conservative or hold strong religious beliefs.

JohnBrown 2 years ago

To Changless and Without Hope: Brownies law legalizes bullying gays by self-described christians. uh...that's wrong, and it's not Christian.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

I cannot have my "feelings" hurt. I have never felt bigoted against. I do not even know what white "Liberaltines" word racist means. That is why I do not get the LE "rant".

I must have a "genetic" propensity for not "feeling" emotionally hurt by constant ridicule from the DRD4 Genies.

That's why I asked for an explaination for the "Gloom and Doom" rant of Brownies Law.

seriouscat 2 years ago

It really is pathetic isn't it? I thought it was all about "hate the sin not the sinner". But it's really "I'm Christian....unless you're gay".

observant 2 years ago

Break out the popcorn, the right wing nutcases will be posting continual mindless rants all day today.

its_just_math 2 years ago

Calling Christians "dimwits" is not bigoted, nooooo. And if the women's vote is going to Obama, his phoney rhetoric should be an affront to any woman and I must query, who are 'dimwits'? Did 'dimwits' install Obama in 2008? You know what my answer on that is.

Mike Ford 2 years ago

some christians used doctrine and dogma to discriminate against others and when theocrats get elected....forget all the necessary work of government......the dimwits must go after easy targets.....the obsession with bigotry is why you've lost the women vote back to President Obama. I'm enjoying your julius caesar like approach to political self immolation....and yet you're tooooo dumb to get it.......expected.... now the change the subject blame the victim and praise rush......

JohnBrown 2 years ago

"It's a free country". Not if the Tea Partying Conservatives (=American Taliban) have their way.

In Michigan the American Taliban are quietly doing away with Democracy. Google 'Benton Harbor' for more. Plus thy have lied about how soon the legislature's laws take effect by denying Democrats in the legislature the right to a roll call vote.

If it's a free country, then you're free to be gay without a law protecting those who would bully you, for religious purposes ONLY of course - an American Taliban 'family value': bullying gays.

In a free country you don't need 'papers' when traveling on the road.

In a free country you can get an abortion, but in Kansas and Virgina the American Taliban are trying to put Big Government between patients and their doctors.

The American Taliban don't believe in My freedom. Their motto is "Do as We say or else".

its_just_math 2 years ago

Whatever happened to the good ol' signage on any business's window or door:

'We reserve the right to refuse service to any one'

It's a free country......and maybe those which post those 'no concealed carry' signs are bigoted against law-abiding concealed carriers.

autie 2 years ago

I don't know what she is talking about.

Really? I love it when the far right simply acts stupid in response to a statement. And where does the writer speak of genetics? I believe the letter is about civil rights, Is it correct to allow for any citizen to be denied equal treatment based on a religious precept? Why do you not enlighten us? This silly law will be tossed out on its constitutiional ear.

observant 2 years ago

First 3 comments exactly as expected from right wing nutcases.

cato_the_elder 2 years ago

I have no interest whatsoever in what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes, and desire government at all levels to be similarly disinterested. However, I've been waiting for some time to see any credible scientific evidence that homosexuality is a genetic trait that exists at birth. Not people's opinions or beliefs based on anecdotal evidence, but credible, objectively verifiable, scientific evidence.

Is there any?

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

Somebody is feeling all inflamed & stuff.

imastinker 2 years ago

No kidding....I have no idea what she is talking about. I guess I'll have to google it.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

Take a breath Mz Dewey. You are working yourself into a "frenzy"

Seriously. Does anyone know what she is talking about? "Doom and Gloom" this early in the morning needs to be explained a bit more.