Archive for Sunday, November 20, 2011

Driver, passenger injured in rollover accident late Friday on U.S. Highway 59

November 20, 2011

Douglas County Sheriff’s officers responded to a rollover accident on North 1250 Road, near U.S. Highway 59, about 11:45 p.m. Friday. Undersheriff Steve Hornberger said the driver, Madeline Beers, 16, and one of the six juvenile passengers in the vehicle were transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. A nursing supervisor at LMH said the driver was treated and released early Saturday. Hornberger said he believed the other person taken to LMH had suffered only minor injuries. He said the driver failed to negotiate a curve in the road, went into the adjacent ditch and rolled the vehicle once. The identity of the second injured person was not available.

Comments

short_one 2 years, 4 months ago

First, I am very thankful none of these kids were seriously injured and will all live to see another day.

However, the statements about not letting kids drive until the are 17 or 18 are just not smart. It has nothing to do with "rights" (although I do think if they are old enough to go to combat, they should be able to drive or drink alcohol)--it is more about structured driving experiences. There have been several studies lately about teen drivers and the common factor for safe vs dangerous drivers seems to be how much experience the kids have had with driving and how distracted they are. Kids who have been driving since they were 14 (with a permit) are much better drivers at 16 or 17 or 18 than kids who don't get their licenses at all until then. The key is to follow the rules the state sets out or go above and beyond those rules--parent the kids and drive WITH them until they can legally AND safely drive alone, don't let them drive with a car full of friends. If they break the rules you set down for them regarding driving, be a parent and do something about it. A new driver at 18 is not any better than a new driver who is 14 or 15 except at least there is a chance that someone will supervise the 14/15 year old. No one is supervising new 18 year old drivers...

Ronnie24 2 years, 4 months ago

This is to all of you that have such negative comments. Tell me that none of you,( at the same age of these kids), ever did anything wrong . I doubt it. Yes there were to many kids together in one car. It sounds like the parents knew what was going on and where the kids were going. The driver mads a mistake. Luckly it turned out that no one was seriously hurt(,thank goodness). But all of you that have NEVER done anything wrong are either self denying or liars.

imastinker 2 years, 4 months ago

It's sad to see some of the parents on here trying to defend the behaviors of kids. There was a fatality accident in tonganoxie this summer with a bunch of kids in cars. I don't know what did or didn't contribute to the accident, but there seem to be a lot of them with large amounts of teens in cars. It could be nothing more than excessive speed with an overloaded (and topheavy) car. That's still driver error.

Parents should be discussing these issues with kids and limiting their driving exposure, not defending what appear to be stupid actions on an internet forum. It's a shame, but these kids will grow up to be adults still thinking the world revolves around them.

Peaty 2 years, 4 months ago

Good grief, we all make mistakes. Everyone seems to forget when they were young. Sounds like no one was seriously hurt and I'm glad for that. I've mentioned this a few times but want to put a plug in for a teen driving school that is super inexpensive but worth it's weight in gold,

It's only about 70 bucks but it teaches some real skills with avoiding accidents etc. I'm not affiliated with this other than I had my kid go this year. One on one training with an instructor using your car teaching ABS use, wet and dry skid pad etc. all in a safe place. There should be another one early next year. It's a shame more people don't know about this. Heck I know a lot of adults that could benefit from this type of training.

Charlie Bannister 2 years, 4 months ago

This will be controversial, but I have said for YEARS that 16 year olds generally have no business with a DL. Wait until they are 18. A couple of years will make a difference in their maturity level--maybe. What is wrong with school buses, parents taking them, bicycles, or walking? Kids nowadays have way too much and that leads to them expecting everything handed to them. Make them appreciate what they have and you will ultimately get a much better adult in the process.

Deja Coffin 2 years, 5 months ago

What is the age limit for commenting on here? No offense to any of these kids but I worry that things they post on here in defense or against the victims could effect them within the community or more importantly at school. Please just try and watch what you type because I know you're being anonymous but by giving personal information about yourself or the accident you're opening yourself up for harassment.

atiopatioo 2 years, 5 months ago

Did they miss that lady's fence?

Kansan234 2 years, 5 months ago

haha, you must be special. You know nothing about this wreck, that is all I am saying. So get off this troll.

babyluver13 2 years, 5 months ago

If they were that close to dying they would have all be life - flighted to a hospital with horrific injuries but they werent so yeah...... and i know the unknown victims name also . what now?

Kansan234 2 years, 5 months ago

The sad part, I heard about this before any Law enforcement or family members.. How? because I was the person they were coming to see...

I know everything and the people on here saying that they were "drinking" can go ^$*# themselves because I know everything. I was at the scene of the wreck within 15 minutes of it happening. I know the un named victim who will remain unnamed. I doubt any of you know how close some of them were to dying. My three brothers were in it, and One of them saved another ones life by grabbing him right before his head got smashed.

So anyone who dares say anything more stupid can come say it to me in person.

nut_case 2 years, 5 months ago

Ban Curves! ...and make roads and tires out of velcro.

08Champs 2 years, 5 months ago

Some of the same kids in an accident a couple weeks ago?

OonlyBonly 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry "pickaname" you are totally wrong! An accident isn't just an accident. Every accident has a cause and an affect. In this instance there are a number of possible causes: inexperienced driver - 16 years old inattentive driver - celebrating football win, possibly txting, or other diversion excessive speed - "failed to negotiate curve" The list goes on an on but we don't know enough to make a determination. People try to "justify" accidents by saying "it's only an accident" but every accident could have been avoided IF the contributing cause was eliminated beforehand. The affect in this instance is two young people were injured and that's a shame BUT she could have lost control and the vehicle wiped out an entire innocent family!

beaujackson 2 years, 5 months ago

Change the law - age 17 to drive with (only 1) unrelated passenger after dark.

pickaname 2 years, 5 months ago

Not bad parenting at all! Quick to blame again! Out of the stadium at 10. home to shower and change at 10:45, Pizza Shuttle at 11...No drinking, no bad parenting, just kids going to visit another classmate! No time for a "party" with "beers". ACCIDENT people! Thank God none of them or anyone else was killed or seriously injured!

pickaname 2 years, 5 months ago

So quick to blame others...Who hosted a drinking party...Please, nobody hosted a drinking party! These kids just got off the football field celebrating with classmates, siblings, and parents after winning sub-state. An accidnt renders nothing else, it was an accident! Thank God non of my daughters dear friends were hurt! True the parents probably didnt know where they were, but thats non of anyone elses business but their parents! Believe me, all these kids have hell to pay, and dont need any of you "saints" judging them!

sunny 2 years, 5 months ago

Could be bad parenting! I wonder if the parents knew where the 16 yr old was and what she was up to.

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

babyluver13 2 years, 5 months ago

They had all been at a party earlier that night , and drinking. And they all squeezed in a little 5 passenger nissan maxima or something similar.

jlzack 2 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't Kanas have a law against teens driving with more that 1 non related passenger's, when your under 17? I'm guessing that the other 5 were probably non-related....

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

I have read and seen reported on television by insurance companies that age 16 has by far the worst safety record of any age group, something to do with the development of the human brain at that age (seriously). Apparently, drivers younger than 16, are more likely to destination drive to work or school and therefore not as likely to joyride. Past 16 and the kids seem to start to initiate brain function and therefore do not make as many stupid mistakes.

kujhawker 2 years, 5 months ago

Contributing factors might include the fact that she's a 16 yr old inexperienced driver, driving late at night, probably paying more attention to talking to her passenger, or fiddling with the stereo and driving too fast...at that age substance abuse does not have to be involved for careless driving to occur...just saying...

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Hope all are OK; I'd like to hear if there were some contributing factors!

januarygirl 2 years, 5 months ago

another roll over how many is that now???? are people not learning about curves and how to drive ,or could it be an attention thing? I"m glad the teens are ok, but so many rollovers this past year.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 5 months ago

She'll be insurable again...say...about age 25.

Why God invented school buses.