Archive for Friday, November 11, 2011

Lawrence recognizes the glory of service, the sacrifice of veterans

November 11, 2011

Veterans of Foreign Wars members fire a 21-gun salute Friday to honor military personnel on Veterans Day at VFW Post 852 in Lawrence.

U.S. Army Maj. Brian Mehan spoke Friday about growing up in a military household and watching Veterans Day parades while sitting on his father’s shoulders.

“I knew only the glory of service, but precious little about the sacrifice,” he said.

Both ideas were recognized on Friday in Lawrence, as members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion and Disabled American Veterans groups joined with the public in a Veterans Day ceremony at the VFW post, 138 Ala.

Mehan, who is attending the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth and is enrolled as a master’s degree student in Kansas University’s Global and International Studies program, served as the speaker for the ceremony.

He said he’s heard it said that today’s youth were spoiled and undisciplined and lacked character. That doesn’t fit with the people he sees serving in the military today, he said.

“I think about the 1.1 million men and women in uniform who are part of the next greatest generation,” he said.

Members of the community joined the veterans for songs, two 21-gun salutes and the playing of taps.

Dorothy McGreevy, a Lawrence resident, said her husband served in the Army in Korea and the Philippines. He died six years ago, she said, and she’s been coming to the local ceremony ever since.

“I come for him,” she said. “It’s an honor to all the veterans, to those that couldn’t make it back and those that did.”

Comments

iseedumbpeople 3 years, 1 month ago

It was two volley salutes, which are fired from rifles. Twenty one gun salutes are fired with cannons and are reserved for Presidents, and visiting heads of state.

wyattearp2 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks to all the Veterans, and those who have given the ulimate sacrifice for me. For these individuals words cannot say enough, I give each of you a Heartfelt THANKS!

Thanks for protecting the ungrateful morons protesting downtown.....Its too bad we can't load them up and place them next to a soldier in combat and watch the Sh** roll down their legs.

Ooorah this morons!

wyattearp2 3 years, 1 month ago

Ooorah this morons!

Alceste 3 years, 1 month ago

Surely you don't suggest that your fellow citizens being killed and maimed in Afghanistan or Iraq are doing so to protect our freedoms here in the USA? Surely not? Only an imbecile would think thusly. You're not stating here in writing that wyattearp2 is an imbecile are you?

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't disagree with the opinion or the choice of calling wyattearp2 an embecile, a dunce; blockhead; dolt. I think it was sad he chose to be disrespectful to the veterans, to hang his hate rant on their dime. Some veterans support Occupy, some don't but to use their name and topic for the wyattearp2 type of insane sounding hate fest is not respectful or polite.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks to the veterans. without them the brave and thoughtful people who Occupy wouldn't have the right to peaceful assembly. They fought and died, were wounded, they served. Now they come home and I show respect for all of them. I respect the veterans and I respect our rights.