• Nebraska Book Company announces that Arthur Schmidt Jr., Lawrence, has achieved an employment anniversary of five years and is eligible to receive an employment service award.
• Golf Course Management, the official publication of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, received 10 awards in the Turf and Ornamental Communicators Association Communications Contest. The awards were announced during TOCA’s annual meeting held May 3-6 in Asheville, N.C.
— Roger Billings, GCSAA creative services senior manager – “A little bit of tunnel light” (April) picture story (two or more photos to illustrate an article in a printed magazine).
— GCM contributor Terry Ostmeyer – “Little big man” (February) environmental stewardship article.
— GCM contributor Kurt Lawton – “Underground revolution” (November) product information article.
— Billings – 2011 Dog Days of Golf Calendar sponsored by LebanonTurf in cooperation with GCSAA (special project).
— Billings and Kelly Neis, GCSAA creative services senior manager – (May) overall magazine design.
— Scott Hollister, GCM editor-in-chief – From the Desk of GCM (new media) blog.
— Hollister – “Biologicals take center stage at LebanonTurf event” (Oct. 1 blog post) writing for the Web: Original content.
— GCM contributor Trent Bouts – “Renovation risk” (August) turf feature article.
— Seth Jones, former GCM senior associate editor – “Perfection by the lake” (August) operations profile.
— Jones – “The Price of success” (December) general feature article.
Hollister also sat on a panel discussion focused on social media and the changing world of communications, and was elected to a term on TOCA’s board of directors.
• Ryan Schurle of Schurle Signs Inc. was inducted into the Kansas State Sign Association Board of Directors. Schurle also serves on the World Sign Associates NetCom Committee and is Division 4 Membership Coordinator.
• Susan Thomas passed certification exams administered by the Institute of Internal Auditors, receiving her Certified Internal Auditor credentials. Thomas, a graduate of the Health Policy and Management program at Kansas University, is the director of compliance and internal audit at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
• Jane Bateman and Kelley Witmer of Jane Bateman: The Interiors Store attended the annual International Window Coverings Expo Vision ’11 in Las Vegas held April 27. Bateman and Witmer attended “Finishing Touches” and “Top, Bottom and Everything In-Between” seminars by Joan Willis.
• Longtime Kansas physician and active Kansas Medical Mutual Insurance Company board member Don Hatton has been elected KaMMCO chairman of the board to take effect at the conclusion of the annual board meeting June 24.
Dr. Hatton has been an active KaMMCO board member since 1989 and has served as chairman of the underwriting committee as well as a number of other committees over the years. He has been with Reed Medical Group of Lawrence for over 35 years and will continue to maintain an active medical practice.
• Lawrence Medical Managers will host a lunch seminar, “Think Clinical: Running a More Efficient Practice through Optimal Clinical Operations.” The workshop, open to the public, will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 8 at Maceli’s, 1031 N.H. Guest speaker will be Sheila Richmeier. Cost is $12 for members and $15 for nonmembers. Deadline for registration is Wednesday. To register or for more information, contact Mea Austin at 843-4210, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit lawrencemm.org.
• Regina Nowatzke, a licensed specialist clinical social worker of Lawrence, has earned the registered play therapist credential conferred by the Association for Play Therapy.
• Mar Lan Construction, a local authorized Ceco Building Systems builder in Lawrence, was recognized for achieving $500,000 in annual sales in 2008 and $250,000 in annual sales in 2010 at the Ceco 2011 National Business Meeting held in March in Tampa, Fla. The meeting’s theme was “Steel Strong.”