Archive for Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lawrence school district administrator a finalist for superintendent job in Nebraska

May 4, 2011

Frank Harwood, chief operations officer for the Lawrence school district.

Frank Harwood, chief operations officer for the Lawrence school district.

Frank Harwood, chief operations officer for the Lawrence school district, is one of five finalists for a superintendent’s job in Nebraska.

Harwood is set to interview next week with officials from the Bellevue school district in Bellevue, an Omaha suburb where Harwood’s wife, Jamie, graduated from Bellevue East High School.

“It’s the only position I’ve applied for,” said Harwood. “I do plan on being a superintendent — I wasn’t really looking, but this opportunity became available and I applied.”

Harwood has been the district’s chief operations officer since 2009 and oversees finance, human relations, facilities, maintenance, food service, transportation and technology for an organization with 10,500 students, 950 teachers, 1,600 total employees and 22 school buildings.

He started his education career in 1993 as a science teacher at Perry-Lecompton High School, before serving as an assistant principal at Leavenworth High School. In 2005 he became principal at Central Junior High School in Lawrence, then moved to the district office in 2008 as director of technology.

The Bellevue district, with 20 schools and just more than 10,000 students, is the fourth-largest school district in Nebraska.

Comments

Paula Kissinger 4 years ago

Oh, could the USD497 students possibly be this lucky ?

Paula Kissinger 4 years ago

On my meds, thank you. Harwood is useless and has done nothing positive for the students since he came here almost 6 years ago. His motive was clear from the beginning...to elevate himself as quickly as possible within the district. When it became obvious that he was not going to be selected to fill the superintendent's position here he began looking elsewhere. He always has convenient excuses and at-ready stories to provide for his actions. I've had literally no personal interaction with Doll so I cannot comment on his agenda...but Harwood I know and it has always been a displeasure.

Paula Kissinger 4 years ago

Jeff Plinsky 4 years ago

He's the lead negotiator, and the head budget person for the district. He wears a lot of other hats as well. He's pretty good at what he does, which is why he's a finalist for the Nebraska job.

His position can't be eliminated without a substantial reorganization of the district. But if the district promotes from within, some lower position could be eliminated.

WilburM 4 years ago

Frank Harwood is a good guy, an effective administrator and a reasonable human being. do any of the commentators know him at all? He's basically the COO of a very large enterprise, but hey any multi-million dollar corporation could do without one of these. Get real.

(and no, I do not work for the school district)

Paula Kissinger 4 years ago

I have known him since he stepped foot into our city and believe, unlike you, that he is an ordinary ass-kisser, rise to the top as fast as I can without concern of who I crush on the way up individual. His cool, calm, understanding, caring attitude is a smokescreen. He was totally worthless as Central's principal. His attempt to initiate the Skyward program was a disaster that needed too many fixes and caused too much anguish and the resolve was not timely. His negotiation skills are savvy but only an attempt to gain favor with other administrators and teachers. He has an agenda and it is to con the adults, double-talk to the students and get up and get out. If anyone does not see this they better get a reality check.

Lawrencereader 4 years ago

Your ongoing personal vendetta is just sad.

Paula Kissinger 4 years ago

No vendetta...just stating the facts...sorry you can't handle the truth...neither could Frank.

4getabouit 4 years ago

Harwood is a decent guy just doing his job.