Archive for Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Boy taken to hospital as precaution after hitting head on diving board at Lawrence’s outdoor pool

July 26, 2011, 12:08 p.m. Updated July 26, 2011, 1:54 p.m.

A boy was taken to the hospital Tuesday morning as a precaution after he hit his head while jumping off a diving board at the Outdoor Aquatic Center, 747 Ky.

Jimmy Gibbs, the city’s aquatics manager, said the boy got out of the pool on his own after apparently hitting his head on a diving board. Gibbs said the boy, who was there for a swimming camp, was alert and breathing.

“Lifeguards responded. Any time there’s potential for head and neck injuries we do call emergency medical technicians,” Gibbs said.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical workers were called about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday to the pool. Division Chief Eve Tolefree said medics took the boy to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

mae 4 years ago

As a lifeguard since almost birth, trained by my dad, I must say. WTFreak are they thinking? A guy/gal sitting up there is not stopping the horseplay and dares that happen in that line. A guard should be posted in between the boards to listen and take precautions actively. Screw their tan and flirting, it's a job that involves lives and we pay them for insurance purposes only. Show me a story of a lifeguard doing a rescue.

Vinny1 4 years ago

Where exactly did it say there was horseplay or dares involved? You know it is possible that the kid just didn't jump out far enough and came down hitting his head.

mae 4 years ago

there's always at those boards. i dove there since probably '95 or so. still do and love it. the kids and the sidelines under the gazebo are always daring others. then the board is improperly adjusted for bounce and people get hurt.

mae 4 years ago

As for Gibbs, good lord, if that was my job and a kid had a head injury there, I most certainly would be waiting at the hospital for any results. Console the parents, not just say "no idea, he could be at this hospital" when suggested to by a reporter. What was more important in his day that he wasn't?

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

That what the story said before the update, KRichards/.

mae 4 years ago

Yeah, he was quoted in the original. He should either fire his phone or stop just hanging up all the time.

mae 4 years ago

mae 4 years ago

d_prowess 4 years ago

Wow, mae has some serious issues with the pool here in Lawrence! Could you imagine the pool if the lifeguards (of which she has been one since birth thanks to her dad's training) prevented any kids from laughing and joking around with each other?! It would be a really fun place! And those lifeguards... nothing but goof-offs focused on hooking up with members of the opposite sex. All of them, I'm sure...

mae 4 years ago

You obviously have no experience. Kids will play and dare, but if you're there everyday like a real parent would or should, you'd know what some are capable of and others that are learning. Toss your kiddo off a board with no thoughts. I applaud your ignorance.

mae 4 years ago

yeah funny. i'm a guy. boy scout trained and then kc police trained again for no reason but cert. but yeah, i kinda know what happens at my neighborhood pool. sorry to offend you by telling the truth.

Liberty275 4 years ago

Do you know for a fact this particular accident was caused by horseplay or are you just assuming someone has to be guilty because you went to cop school?

mae 4 years ago

If I knew for a fact I'd say. I know for a fact you're dragging this out. I was never a cop, just raised by them.

Do you know for a fact this particular post you did is contributing?

troll.

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

It's about time someone pointed out the post on the LJW boards that made no contribution! Thanks for stepping in, mae!

Liberty275 4 years ago

My contribution was merely asking if he knew for a fact that horseplay was responsible and that the lifeguards ignored it. In my book, if what he said is true, that makes the city negligent and liable.

You may not see the relevancy nor the contribution, but your comprehension isn't really my problem.

Liberty275 4 years ago

You did say.

"I must say. WTFreak are they thinking? A guy/gal sitting up there is not stopping the horseplay"

Did you not say?

mae 4 years ago

regardless. i can only think of him. hopes and dreams little man.

Arthur Hess 4 years ago

It was my son who hit his head. He is fine.

Brent Fry 4 years ago

I assume he admitted to this devious horseplay and has been punished accordingly. There is no place in this world for fun amongst kids.

Jokes aside, glad to hear that your child is fine.

akt2 4 years ago

Mountains out of molehills and slow news day.