Archive for Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Boy taken to hospital as precaution after hitting head on diving board at Lawrence’s outdoor pool

July 26, 2011, 12:08 p.m. Updated July 26, 2011, 1:54 p.m.

A boy was taken to the hospital Tuesday morning as a precaution after he hit his head while jumping off a diving board at the Outdoor Aquatic Center, 747 Ky.

Jimmy Gibbs, the city’s aquatics manager, said the boy got out of the pool on his own after apparently hitting his head on a diving board. Gibbs said the boy, who was there for a swimming camp, was alert and breathing.

“Lifeguards responded. Any time there’s potential for head and neck injuries we do call emergency medical technicians,” Gibbs said.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical workers were called about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday to the pool. Division Chief Eve Tolefree said medics took the boy to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

akt2 2 years, 8 months ago

Mountains out of molehills and slow news day.

jhawkart 2 years, 8 months ago

It was my son who hit his head. He is fine.

mae 2 years, 8 months ago

regardless. i can only think of him. hopes and dreams little man.

mae 2 years, 8 months ago

yeah funny. i'm a guy. boy scout trained and then kc police trained again for no reason but cert. but yeah, i kinda know what happens at my neighborhood pool. sorry to offend you by telling the truth.

d_prowess 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, mae has some serious issues with the pool here in Lawrence! Could you imagine the pool if the lifeguards (of which she has been one since birth thanks to her dad's training) prevented any kids from laughing and joking around with each other?! It would be a really fun place! And those lifeguards... nothing but goof-offs focused on hooking up with members of the opposite sex. All of them, I'm sure...

mae 2 years, 8 months ago

As for Gibbs, good lord, if that was my job and a kid had a head injury there, I most certainly would be waiting at the hospital for any results. Console the parents, not just say "no idea, he could be at this hospital" when suggested to by a reporter. What was more important in his day that he wasn't?

mae 2 years, 8 months ago

mae 2 years, 8 months ago

As a lifeguard since almost birth, trained by my dad, I must say. WTFreak are they thinking? A guy/gal sitting up there is not stopping the horseplay and dares that happen in that line. A guard should be posted in between the boards to listen and take precautions actively. Screw their tan and flirting, it's a job that involves lives and we pay them for insurance purposes only. Show me a story of a lifeguard doing a rescue.