Archive for Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Charges dismissed in alleged sexual attack in May; prosecutors seek more evidence

July 5, 2011


A Douglas County judge has dismissed two sex crime charges against a 58-year-old Lawrence man, but prosecutors said they could re-file a case after investigating further.

In May, the man was charged with attempted aggravated criminal sodomy and aggravated sexual battery after he was accused of assaulting a 30-year-old Lawrence woman May 27 in the 1600 block of Haskell Avenue.

Lawrence police said no physical injuries were reported. The man had been free on $20,000 bond since June 7.

Prosecutor Amy McGowan, a chief assistant district attorney, said the case was dismissed pending further investigation.

The Journal-World generally does not identify sex crime suspects unless they are convicted.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.