Archive for Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jury to resume deliberations Friday in trial for man accused of robbing local convenience store

January 20, 2011, 5:04 p.m. Updated January 20, 2011, 5:47 p.m.

Advertisement

Jurors will resume deliberations Friday in the trial of a 22-year-old Topeka man who is accused of robbing a Lawrence convenience store in August 2009.

During closing arguments on Thursday before jurors took over the case, prosecutors said jurors had been presented with enough evidence to convict Sedryck E. Welch of aggravated robbery. Prosecutors pointed out that a clerk at the store identified Welch from a photo lineup several months later.

“You should conclude beyond a reasonable doubt that this is the person who has committed the robbery,” said James McCabria, an assistant Douglas County district attorney.

But during her closing argument, defense attorney Sarah Swain criticized Lawrence police for how they investigated the case and said officers didn’t collect enough evidence on the night of the robbery.

During the trial, which began Tuesday, prosecutors accused Welch of using the shotgun to rob a clerk on Aug. 3, 2009, at Conoco, 2447 W. Sixth St. Police had publicly released store surveillance photos of a man with a gun that night.

After months of investigation, police arrested Welch, and he was charged with aggravated robbery in April 2010. A roommate at the time said Welch was living in Lawrence in August 2009, but according to jail records, Welch had a Topeka address when he was arrested in 2010.

The jury is scheduled to return to work at 9 a.m. Friday.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.