Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, January 16, 2011

National briefs: LHP Chen set to re-sign with Royals

January 16, 2011

Advertisement

Kansas City, Mo. — Free-agent pitcher Bruce Chen is set to re-sign with the Kansas City Royals, agreeing to a $2 million, one-year contract.

The team said Saturday that Chen’s deal is pending a physical.

The 33-year-old lefty led the Royals in wins last season, going 12-7 with a 4.17 ERA in 33 games, including 23 starts. He began the year at Triple-A Omaha and made 10 relief appearances before joining the rotation on May 30.

Chen can earn an additional $1.5 million in performance bonuses.

Baseball

Athletics, reliever Ziegler agree

Oakland, Calif. — The Oakland Athletics and reliever Brad Ziegler have agreed to a $1.25 million, one-year contract that avoids salary arbitration.

The A’s announced the deal Saturday.

Ziegler went 3-7 with a 3.26 ERA in 64 relief appearances with Oakland last year, when he made $410,000.

In other baseball-related news involving salary arbitration:

• Catcher Geovany Soto agreed to a $3 million, one-year deal with the Chicago Cubs, avoiding arbitration.

Soto, the 2008 NL Rookie of the Year, batted .280 with 17 homers and 53 RBIs in 105 games last season when his salary was $575,000.

• The Philadelphia Phillies also avoided arbitration with outfielder Ben Francisco, agreeing to a $1,175,000, one-year contract.

Francisco hit .268 with six homers and 28 RBIs in 88 games last season.

• The St. Louis Cardinals and reliever Kyle McClellan agreed Saturday on a one-year contract worth $1,375,000, avoiding arbitration.

The 26-year-old right-hander appeared in 68 games in a setup role last season, going 1-4 with a career-best 2.27 ERA and two saves.

Farnsworth, Rays reach 1-year deal

St. Petersburg, Fla. — Free-agent reliever Kyle Farnsworth has agreed to a $3.25 million, one-year contract with the Tampa Bay Rays.

The deal announced Saturday includes a club option for 2012.

Carlton Fisk’s father passes away

Charlestown, N.H. — Cecil Fisk, the father of Hall of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk, has died. He was 97. The Stringer Funeral Home in Claremont, N.H., says Fisk died Thursday at Springfield Hospital in Vermont after a brief illness.

Ozzie Canseco arrested for DUI

Tampa, Fla. — Ozzie Canseco, a former major-league baseball player and the twin brother of former Oakland A’s slugger Jose Canseco, has been arrested on DUI charges in Florida. Authorities in Tampa say the 46-year-old was booked early Saturday morning. He is being held on $500 bond.

Santo statue to stand by Wrigley

Chicago — When Ron Santo died last month, his funeral procession traveled by Wrigley Field, and well-wishers gathered on sidewalks to cheer the former Chicago Cubs broadcaster and third baseman one last time.

Now, the cozy neighborhood ballpark will feature a more permanent reminder of one of the franchise’s most beloved figures.

The Cubs announced Saturday they will unveil a Santo statue outside their longtime home before their game against the Washington Nationals on Aug. 10.

College Football

Georgia junior LB entering draft

Athens, Ga. — Georgia outside linebacker Justin Houston, who ranked second in the SEC with 10 sacks this season, is skipping his senior year to enter the NFL Draft.

Alabama safety coming back

Tuscaloosa, Ala. — All-American safety Mark Barron said he’ll be back for his senior season at Alabama, which had already lost three star juniors.

Young hired as UF D-line coach

Gainesville, Fla. — New Florida coach Will Muschamp has completed his staff by hiring former San Francisco 49ers standout Bryant Young as defensive-line coach.

Golf

Appleby, Maruyama share lead

Honolulu — Stuart Appleby completed Saturday at the Sony Open with two birdies for a 4-under 66 and a share of the lead with Shigeki Maruyama.

NFL

Eagles fire D-coordinator

Philadelphia — The Philadelphia Eagles fired defensive coordinator Sean McDermott.

A team spokesman confirmed the firing Saturday. No replacement has been announced. The Eagles allowed 377 points this season, the most since 1974.

Auto Racing

Stewart questioned in Australia

Sydney — NASCAR star Tony Stewart has been questioned but not charged by police after an altercation at a Sydney track.

New South Wales state police spokesperson Joanne Elliott said Sunday that the 39-year-old Indiana driver, who is in Australia competing in sprint-car races, was released after being interviewed at the Rosehill police station in western Sydney.

“Police from Rosehill central command were alerted to an altercation involving two men at a race car track about 7:30 last night,” Elliott said. “A 39-year-old man was arrested at the scene after a 46-year-old man was allegedly hit in the face by a racing helmet.

“The 39-year-old man was released without charge, pending further investigation.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.