City commissioners will consider rezoning multiple pieces of property in the Oread neighborhood, and will consider granting a special use permit to make Bullwinkle’s bar at 1344 Tenn. a legally conforming use in the neighborhood.
The longtime bar Bullwinkle’s has been operating without proper zoning for many years. The business has been allowed to operate because it is considered a grandfathered use in the city’s zone code. Currently, the bar is restricted to being only a Cereal Malt Beverage establishment that must close at midnight. But the new zoning and the special use permit would allow the bar to apply for a liquor license, which would allow it to stay open until 2 a.m. All the properties are seeking to be rezoned to the city’s new Mixed Use district, which would allow a mix of residential and commercial development on the properties. None of the property owners have filed any plans to redevelop the area. But the zoning is being recommended by planners because the newly adopted Oread Neighborhood plan calls for the area to be zoned Mixed Use in the future. The list of properties up for rezoning are: 1340 Tenn.; 1344 Tenn.; 1343 Tenn.; 1403 Tenn.; 1400 Ohio; and 413 W. 14th St.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 04/12/11.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Set bid date of May 3 for City Bid No. B1122, Project No. PW1109, 2011 Downtown, Miscellaneous Concrete Repairs.
b.) Set bid date of May 3 for City Bid No. B1126, Project No. PW1102, Sixth Street, Folks Road to Monterey Way, Geometric Improvements, Milling, Overlay, Pavement Marking.
c.) Set a bid opening date of May 24 for Bid Number B1125 2011 Pump & Motor Rehab.
• Adopt on second and final reading, Ordinance No. 8628, to rezone (Z-2-6-11) the 800 block of Lynn Street, approximately 3.9 acres, from the IG (General Industrial) and IL (Limited Industrial) Districts to the RMO (Multi-Dwelling Residential-Office) District.
• Approve a Temporary Use of Public Right-of-Way Permit for the Lawrence Art Guild to close Massachusetts Street from North Park Street to South Park Street on Sunday, May 1, from 6 a.m. until 7 p.m. for the 2011 Art in the Park Art Fair.
• Authorize the city manager to sign a contract with ADG (Airport Development Group) in the amount of $54,558 ($51,830 paid by FAA and $2,800 paid by City) for a Wildlife Hazard Assessment study at the Lawrence Municipal Airport.
• Approve as signs of community interest a request from the Antique Automobile Club of America to place temporary directional and notification signs along 23rd Street in the area of the Douglas County Fairgrounds. The signs are in connection with The Lawrence Swap Meeting and will be in place Friday, May 6, through Sunday, May 8. Approval is contingent on adjacent property owner permission.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider request for long term parking passes and to designate parking lot No. 10 (1000 block of Vermont Street) as a long term parking lot.
• Consider making a determination based on a consideration of all relevant factors that there is/is not a feasible and prudent alternative to the proposed demolition of the structures located at 711 Conn. and that the proposed demolition includes/does not include all possible planning to minimize harm to the listed property. The Historic Resources Commission determined on Feb. 17 that this project will encroach upon, damage or destroy the listed historic properties and their environs.
• Consider the following rezonings from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use):
a) Consider rezoning, Z-1-1-11, of approximately .13 acres and adjacent right-of-way from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use), located at 1340 Tenn. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Gremlin Holdings LLC., property owner of record.
b) Consider rezoning, Z-1-2-11, of approximately .13 acres and adjacent right-of-way from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use), including establishing a bar or lounge use as an automatic Special Use Permit for Bullwinkle’s, located at 1344 Tenn. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Lynn Investments LLC., property owner of record.
c) Consider a Special Use Permit, SUP-3-2-11, for a bar or lounge use located at 1344 Tenn. for Bullwinkle’s and consider adopting on first reading, Ordinance No. 8627, for a Special Use Permit (SUP-3-2-11) for a bar or lounge use located at 1344 Tenn.
d) Consider rezoning, Z-1-3-11, of approximately .27 acres and adjacent right-of-way from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use), located at 1343 Tenn. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for TK Property’s LLC., property owner of record.
e) Consider rezoning, Z-11-25-09, of approximately .23 acres and adjacent right-of-way from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use), located at 1403 Tenn. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for DJC Holdings LLC, property owner of record.
f) Consider rezoning, Z-11-26-09, of approximately .14 acres and adjacent right-of-way from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use), located at 1400 Ohio. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Wakarusa Partners, property owner of record.
g) Consider rezoning, Z-11-28-09, of approximately .20 acres and adjacent right-of-way from RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to MU (Mixed Use), located at 413 W. 14th St. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for Douglas J. Compton, property owner of record.
• Orientation session with City Commission.