City commissioners will consider making a change to the city’s zoning code that would allow hotels to be located in areas zoned for Industrial Business Park Districts.
Several neighbors in parts of West Lawrence have objected to the proposal because they are concerned that the change may allow a hotel to locate in the business parks that are west of Wakarusa Drive. Many of those parks also are adjacent to residential neighborhoods. Some neighbors have said a hotel, especially if it had a bar, could be an inappropriate use. Planning commissioners are recommending approval of the change.
• Recognition of the Miss Indian Youth of Lawrence Program.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Approve Change Order to R.D. Johnson Excavating Co., Inc. in the amount of 74,900 for Project PW0829, Burroughs Creek Rail Trail.
b) Approve Change Order to R.D. Johnson Excavating Co., Inc. in the amount of $51,400 for Project PW0913, New York Street Brick Street Reconstruction.
c) Authorize the purchase of three fixed-route vehicles as replacements for three existing fixed-route transit vehicles which have surpassed both the manufacturer and FTA useful life requirements. The vehicles will be purchased off the existing State of Minnesota Bid Contract with El Dorado National for $940,539, which requires a local match of $159,892.
d) Award bid for the Comprehensive Rehabilitation project at 1920 Tennessee to T & J Holdings for $24,840.
e) Approve Change Order No. 2 & Final to Bettis Asphalt & Construction, Inc. in the amount of $43,900 for Project No. PW1005 – 2010 Overlay Program Phase 1.
f) Approve the purchase of a new Brush Bandit Forestry Chipper for the Parks & Recreation Department from Vegetation Management Supply for $32,900. The chipper will be purchased off the HGAC cooperative purchase contract.
• Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8589, establishing no parking along the south side of 11th Street between Kentucky Street and Tennessee Street.
• Approve an agreement with the Kansas Department of Transportation to partner with KDOT, the Lawrence-Douglas County MPO, and Douglas County on developing an Area Transportation Plan for the US 40/K-10 Interchange Area and US Highway 40 from George Williams Way west to East 800 Road, including funding up to 11 percent of the total cost of the plan (not to exceed $11,000).
• Approve unanimous recommendation from the Traffic Safety Commission to establish a time limit for the loading zone along the south side of 22nd Street adjacent to Schwegler School to 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. school days.
• Approve health insurance stop loss agreement for 2011.
• Authorize distribution of Request for Proposals for 2011 Citizen Survey.
• Authorize Mayor to execute cooperation agreement with Kansas Department of Transportation for the reconstruction of Kasold, south of Clinton Parkway to 31st Street.
• Receive request from developers of proposed seven story mixed use building planned for the southwest corner of 9th and New Hampshire for reserved parking spaces and financial assistance; refer request to staff for a report.
• Receive city manager’s report
• Conduct public hearing regarding Industrial Revenue Bonds for Plastikon Industries.
• Receive report from Gina Riekhof, City Bond Counsel, concerning pending industrial revenue bond issuances. Bowersock Mills & Power Company IRB Project Letter Lawrence Memorial Hospital IRB Letter
• Conduct public hearing for the dilapidated structures located at 1200 Pennsylvania Street and consider adopting Resolution No. 6911, declaring the structures unsafe or dangerous and ordering the property owner to repair or remove the structures within a specified period of time. Should the owner fail to comply, the City would contract for the removal of the structures.
• Conduct public hearing on the request for a distance limitation waiver for an Off Premise Cereal Malt Beverage License for Presto, 602 W. Ninth St.
• Consider a Text Amendment, TA-4-5-10, to various sections of the City of Lawrence Land Development Code, Chapter 20, in relation to the Commercial Design Standards and approve and to add reference to the proposed Industrial Design Standards.
• Reconsider a Text Amendment, TA-4-4-10, to the City of Lawrence Land Development Code, Chapter 20, Section 20-403, and potentially other sections of the Code, to permit the Hotel, Motel, Extended Stay use in the IBP (Industrial/Business Park) District.
• Receive staff report on City employee overtime policy development.
• Receive third quarter financial report and consider authorizing longevity payments.