Sports

Sports

Ichiro earns 10th Gold Glove in a row

November 10, 2010

Advertisement

— Ichiro Suzuki won his 10th straight Gold Glove for a full season of fielding excellence. Mark Buehrle won again, perhaps clinching his spot with an acrobatic play on opening day.

Derek Jeter, well, his selection is likely to set off another loud round of dispute over whether the award is relevant anymore.

Rawlings announced the American League honors Tuesday. Managers and coaches vote for players in their leagues and can’t pick players on their own teams.

Also chosen were first baseman Mark Teixeira and second baseman Robinson Cano of the New York Yankees; third baseman Evan Longoria and outfielder Carl Crawford of the Tampa Bay Rays; Minnesota catcher Joe Mauer and Seattle outfielder Franklin Gutierrez.

The NL awards will be announced today.

Suzuki tied the AL record for Gold Gloves by an outfielder shared by Ken Griffey Jr. and Al Kaline. The Seattle right fielder has won every year he’s been in the big leagues.

The overall record for outfielders is held by Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente with 12 each. The awards started in 1957, so there’s no telling how many Mays, Clemente or others might have won before then. Angels outfielder Torii Hunter’s streak of nine in a row ended this season.

MLB

Renteria: Skip party, help victims

Bogota, Colombia — World Series MVP Edgar Renteria has asked that a celebration in his honor be called off in his home country, with the money donated to Colombia flood victims.

Renteria led the San Francisco Giants to the World Series title last week. The shortstop made his request about the tribute from Miami on Tuesday. He is expected to arrive Thursday in Barranquilla, where his family lives.

College football

Ducks backup QB out

Eugene, Ore. — Oregon backup quarterback Nate Costa will need season-ending surgery because of a right knee injury suffered in Saturday’s victory over Washington, the team announced Tuesday.

NBA

Evans: We don’t agree with Stern

Atlanta — Atlanta Hawks veteran Maurice Evans said Tuesday NBA players aren’t buying Commissioner David Stern’s recent call for a one-third reduction in players’ salaries.

Stern said last month the league wants player costs to drop $750-800 million.

“We definitely don’t agree with those numbers,” Evans said. “We feel like the game is really at a great place.”

Evans, a vice president on the NBA Players Association executive committee, said the two sides may not be able make any substantial progress in the NBA labor talks until the February All-Star break, when all players are available to return to the negotiations.

Former player Dailey dies

Las Vegas — Quintin Dailey, a former All-American basketball player who also played 10 seasons in the NBA and made the 1982-1983 All-Rookie team, has died in Las Vegas. He was 49.

The Clark County Coroner’s Office on Tuesday confirmed Dailey’s death to the Associated Press. The office said the former University of San Francisco star died naturally of hypertensive cardiovascular disease.

Golf

Watson helps PGA team rally

Henderson, Nevada — Bubba Watson made an 18-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to cap a comeback victory for the PGA Tour team in the Wendy’s 3-Tour Challenge on Tuesday.

Watson, Dustin Johnson and Boo Weekley finished a combined 14 under in the two-player, best-ball format that allowed each team to discard one score per hole. The group shot 11 under over the final eight holes to overtake the Champions Tour team of Nick Price, Bernhard Langer and Kenny Perry, which finished at 13 under at Rio Secco Golf Club.

The LPGA team of Cristie Kerr, Suzann Pettersen and Natalie Gulbis finished third at 11 under after winning the event last year.

Auto racing

Kyle Busch fined $25,000

Charlotte, N.C. — Kyle Busch was fined $25,000 by NASCAR on Tuesday for his obscene gesture, and the driver again apologized for losing his temper.

Busch was also placed on probation through Dec. 31 — the same day as his wedding — for what NASCAR called unsportsmanlike conduct in Sunday’s race at Texas Motor Speedway.

Boxing

Mayweather can’t see sons

Las Vegas — A Las Vegas court has ordered boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. to stay away from his former girlfriend and their two sons after prosecutors say he hit her and threatened to beat his children if they called 911.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.