Archive for Thursday, May 13, 2010

Haskell football coach to serve jail time for third DUI; other charges dropped in plea deal

May 13, 2010

The head coach of the Haskell Indian Nations University football team has reached a plea agreement with prosecutors in Johnson County and has been sentenced to jail time for driving under the influence of alcohol for a third time.

Eric Brock, 36, entered a guilty plea Tuesday to one count of a third offense of driving under the influence. In exchange, prosecutors dropped three other charges Brock was facing: having no insurance, refusing to submit to a Breathalyzer test and speeding.

A judge ordered Brock to spend 10 days in jail, followed by 80 days under house arrest. Brock must report to the Johnson County Jail by noon Saturday.

The charges stem from an incident on Feb. 14, 2009, in Johnson County. Brock was then booked into the Johnson County Jail in August 2009, accused of violating conditions of his bond.

Brock, who played football for Haskell in the early 1990s, took over as head coach in 2002.

Comments

Steve Jacob 5 years, 9 months ago

How do you keep your job after a 3ed DUI?

somebodynew 5 years, 9 months ago

He might just not now.

Hey, LJW- one of the Blog Articles the other day mentioned that Ted Juneau was fired as BB coach @ Haskell. Have you guys checked that and is there any truth to that?? It sounded like a political thing, not something like this.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 9 months ago

what a dysfunctional college. their role models are awesome!

DenverPJ 5 years, 9 months ago

I've known Coach Brock for a couple of years and he is a quality dude. I also know that the two previous DUIs were from sometime in the 90's when he was in college. I got to thinkin about casting stones but just can't seem to throw that 1st one.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 9 months ago

It's ok to get a DUI in college? I did not know that.

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 9 months ago

Um, I think I can cast that 1st stone. I haven't had a DUI nor do I drive intoxicated and most of the people I know are in the same situation I am.

It sickens me that people like you act like drinking and driving isn't a big deal. How many people have died in the last year in this town alone from being struck by drunk drivers?

JHawkinABQ 5 years, 8 months ago

I know that Coach was only caught 3 times but there were many, many times where he drove drunk...... if he was such a quality dude why would he show up at after hour parties of some of his team members.... already drunk.... I guess you get to know your coach better when you can party together

Matt Torres 5 years, 6 months ago

Fair enough. You know the guy so it's hard to judge. And I agree it doesn't do any good to assume he's a worthless scumbag because he has DUIs, but this particular crime gets people very riled up because it's something deliberate, irresponsible and dangerous to the lives of innocent people.

parrothead8 5 years, 9 months ago

Ten days in jail for his 3rd DUI? Cripes...DUI penalties in Kansas are a joke.

melissa stewart 5 years, 9 months ago

Ted Juneau was not fired from Haskell. He is still employed as the Athletic Director/Mens Basketball coach.

somebodynew 5 years, 9 months ago

I hope you are correct. I like Ted, but was posting info from a Blog I read in this paper. I know you can't trust the information in some of them, so thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone had more information. Thank You.

Whatajoke 5 years, 9 months ago

First of all this is a felony! Now Haskell has a felon coaching young men, and denverPJ quality, is that why his house is also in forclosure, sounds like a joke. Maybe you don't know him as well as you think! Makes you wonder what type of example he is setting for young adults. Can he even travel with the team? Boy sad! Just Sad! His attitide is probably that he didn't do wrong but everyone in Lawrence knows he continued to drive on a suspended license, maybe he has friends on the force!

ThatsThat 5 years, 9 months ago

Are you suggesting that he has been protected by the Lawrence Police Department and that if your house is in foreclosure it makes you a bad person? I think he should get what he deserves and losing his job should probably be on the top of the list

Whatajoke 5 years, 9 months ago

No, I am not saying that he is a bad person just a stupid one. And one that does not tend to respondsibilities. Obviously!!!! Hopefully he sets a better example for his family because DUIs hurt everyone in the family and it is sad that many offenders don't acknowlege that.

Alabamastreet 5 years, 9 months ago

I hope he gets the help he obviously needs. Three times, strike out.

erck85 5 years, 9 months ago

It's not exactly easy to just fire someone from a federal institution in case you all haven't noticed. The proper chain of command must always be followed with federal employees, even if your misdeeds become public knowledge. Also, not to add fuel to the fire but Ted Juneau has not been fired. Though, I believe his contract is up in the next few months...

bangaranggerg 5 years, 9 months ago

bangaranggerg 5 years, 9 months ago

sunnydayz33 5 years, 9 months ago

it is disturbing how you took this to a racist level...congrats..you are counted as one of the many ignorant, racist fools in this town...you're parents must be proud

Flap Doodle 5 years, 9 months ago

"...you're parents must be proud...' As your English teachers must be proud of you.

PapaB 5 years, 9 months ago

Eric Brock is a good guy who has made some mistakes. I hope he gets things straightened out.

soonerborn81 5 years, 9 months ago

As a parent, would you want to send your child to play football for Coach Brock? He possesses a lack of leadership and character that HINU should display. As a graduate and former member of HINU football, this upsets me greatly. I feel like it's time to move forward and bring someone into the football athletic department who the athletes will look up to as a man and a coach. Haskell football needs motivation and a will to play hard for a coach who will show them respect on and off the field. I believe in the tradition Haskell has over its school and athletic department. Please keep this tradition alive and hire a new coach that will put the student athletes first and not himself. ONWARD HASKELL!!!

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 9 months ago

Your third DUI is proof that you're either an alcoholic or a complete idiot.

Whatajoke 5 years, 9 months ago

I would have to say he is both! Good Guy PapaB, use to be, now an arrogant blah!

soonerborn81 5 years, 9 months ago

I did have the opportunity to play under coach Brock. As well as, two coaches before him. Coach Tanner and Snelding both great men who cared for the student athlete. Coach Tanner was there for 14 years and coached many great teams and players. Coach Snelding was an outstanding recruiter for the school. He brought in so much talent my freshman year. We really looked good but needed different direction on the field. When it was time for Coach Snelding to take the helm he only had one year to prove himself. Sure some of us didn't agree with his 4 a day practicing up until the first week of game prep. We were beaten and broke down before the season even started. However, you could talk to him on a personal level. He would be that mentor/father figure that so many didn't have growing up. Myself, as well as the other players respected coach Snelding on a total different level. The current players are out there without direction and that mentor that may help change their life in a positive direction. Coach Brock was a different man on the first day he addressed the team in the mat room then what you see today. He was young, excited, motivating and wanted to make a difference. I don't see that now. I see a man who has forgotten the love and compassion he once showed for HINU. The young student athletes coming in deserve more. They need to believe in the man leading them on the field. Knowing he will never disrespect them but hold them high and give them the guidance they deserve. Onward Haskell!!

AponiNation 5 years, 9 months ago

WOW--his third DUI and definitely not his last because “THE PAST PREDICTS THE FUTURE.” Ever wonder why there are so many repeat offenders!!!!

Not much of a consequence--10 days jail and 80 days house arrest. A SLAP ON THE WRIST. Something seriously wrong with Johnson County Court, especially when Kansas Statutes sets mandatory requirements for DUI, refusing breathalyzer, no insurance. The law is not much good when repeat offenders can plea down case and have four charges reduced to one. Kansas Law – “meant to be broken to protect the offenders and not enforced to protect law abiding citizens.” Shame on the Prosecutors and Judges!!!

hungryhustler 5 years, 9 months ago

3 ain't bad...I'll be he's one helluva gambler too.

Whatajoke 5 years, 9 months ago

How did you know!! He is a gambler but can't win at the casino! Ha! Man, I think he is a cat with 9 lives. I bet he makes his family proud!

AponiNation 5 years, 9 months ago

DenverPJ 5 years, 9 months ago

ThatsThat 5 years, 9 months ago

Soonerborn81 - so you played for all three head coaches? Where should they go to get the 4th one?

soonerborn81 5 years, 9 months ago

I wish I had the answer to that question. There have been many assistant coaches come and go whom were qualified for the job. In my opinion HINU needs a fresh start with someone without ties to Haskell that will bring new life to the football program. Someone who is not afraid to mix it up and take chances. There seems to be the norm that Haskell is not a powerhouse in football. Moreover, the early years of Haskell football brought dominance and tradition to the school. This legacy needs to stay current in the eyes and heart of everyone associated with the program. I've seen hints of this through my years at Haskell and I will always cherrish what it means to be a Haskell Indian. For the incoming freshman and current players of Haskell, I say play with your heart and lead by example. If their coach does not realize what a privilege it is to be part of Haskell by committing himself to excellence then why should the players follow? The coach has to be the solid foundation and build the program up to where all players graduate and achieve success.

lawdog 5 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you soonerborn81! I would support any person who is well qualified for the position. It just seems like the same teachers going over the 'same' material that I learned 15 years ago. What about teaching our kids about the future and not keep them in the dark ages of history. Sure it's important to know where we came from but it is also just as important to learn about the job market out here. . .

ThatsThat 5 years, 9 months ago

Which assistant coaches have been in Haskell's program that have been qualified for the job? Maybe someone should give them a call?

soonerborn81 5 years, 9 months ago

I believe Coach Claunch has some upside but not head coaching material for Haskell. Coach Claunch has changed his focus too since working with Coach Brock. Coach Jimmy Snyder is someone that I respect to the highest degree. His coaching techniques are very developed and could help the Haskell program if given the chance. I would recommend Coach Snyder but I am not the person to make the decisions. I really hope Haskell gets a change for the better. Onward Haskell!!

JHawkinABQ 5 years, 8 months ago

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

Joe Claunch has great upside. He's the type of person that people just naturally follow. Haskell needs a coach with competitive fire that pushes and motivates others to be better, which I see in him. If something does happen to Brock, the team needs continuity, as well.

ndnjoe 5 years, 6 months ago

For those that revisit this blog I can assist you with the updated information. Coach Ted Jeanu was not fired, nor was his contract up. What happened was that Ted was not hired properly by the president of the college at the time, Dr Warner. She had done this with several other employees as well. Not to fault those that were hired, they are just caught up in the issue. None the less, Ted was let go due to this error on the presidents part. There were also issues of his 100,000 plus salary, which far exceeds any salary granted to any of the other previous head coaches/athletic directors. To say Ted didn't understand that he was getting some special treatment would be a understatement. And lastly, there were issues of him not really getting the job done. Regardless of all the limitations he has in recruitment, who he could recruit, and budget, he signed a 100K contract saying he would get the job done. Under 500 is not getting the job done.

ndnjoe 5 years, 6 months ago

Now to the topic of the football coach. Sadly the students, past, present and future have to deal with this issue also. There are prevision in place now in the BIE that could place the coach on institutional adminstrative leave and reprimand him with leave without pay too. It appears they have not or are not going to do this. If they have, then I have not been informed of it, so that does not mean that Haskell administation hasn't done so. Lets us just hope they do, and have provisions now in the coaches personnel file that any future foul ups with the law do mandate termination. I don't know if DUI relates to how good of a coach somebody might be, but it appears DUI or not, he hasn't got the job done as a coach either. Throw out the DUI and look at his record, that to me is why I would look at a replacement, the DUI only give me thoughts he needs to take time away from coaching and get his life in order first. If his 3rd DUI is any indication of the type of "spirt" he brings to his players, I can only assume the team will not be getting any better in the near future. He can't be coaching with a "clear head." Get help coach Brock, and then return to the coaching ranks. Do the right thing and step down, that would show personal, mental, emotional and spiritual growth and would be a step in the right direction and cause for the school to continue to retain you on their staff. As a federal institution Haskell may not have the right to fire the coach, but is does have every right to reassign him and take him out of his coaching duties. Now that Phil Homeratha has been reassigned to the athletic director chair, I hope he does the right thing for HASKELL. Don't just let this be another one of those things we allow to go under the table. We are watching to see what happens.