High School Sports

High School Sports

LHS boys, girls fall to Olathe South

Lawrence's Anthony Buffalomeat (31) looks to drive the lane against the Olathe South defense during the game on Friday, Jan. 15, 2010, at LHS.

January 16, 2010

LHS boys come up short

The Lions dropped a hard-fought contest against Olathe South Friday. The team lost 47-55. Enlarge video

Lady Lions come up lame

The LHS girls basketball team dropped its contest against Olathe South Friday. The team will look to get back on track in its next contest. Enlarge video

When the talented teams show up, so do Lawrence High’s boys basketball players.

Unfortunately for the Lions, however, they can’t quite reach the top rung.

Lawrence trailed once-beaten Olathe South by just four points with 1:23 remaining Friday night, but ran out of gas and fell, 55-47, in the LHS gym.

“I’m proud of the way we step up and play good teams,” Lions coach Mike Lewis said. “We’ve played three good teams and played them tough.”

Lewis was also referring to a three-point loss to Kansas City Sumner and a four-point loss to Shawnee Mission Northwest, the former in the Blue Valley Shootout and the latter on the road.

“I’m looking forward to February,” Lewis said. “These challenges are going to make us better.”

Unbeaten Leavenworth had handed O-South its first defeat on Tuesday night, and the Falcons may have figured they would have a breather in the Lions (1-7). However, after bolting to a seemingly safe 10-point lead late in the third quarter, O-South went stale, and the Lions’ Marcus Ray caught fire.

Back-to-back three-pointers by Ray brought the Lions within five at the end of the quarter. Then a driving layup by the 6-foot senior southpaw cut the margin to three (39-36) early in the fourth quarter.

“Ray really stepped up and said, ‘I want to put this team on my shoulders,’” Lewis said. “That’s the kind of senior leadership we really need.”

Ray scored 12 of his team-high 16 points in the last 10 minutes.

“I was just going to try to give my all,” Ray said of his late surge, “and see if we could pull it out.”

In the waning seconds, however, he missed three shots, including a desperation three-pointer, and admitted he had grown a tad weary.

“I was gassed a little bit,” Ray said, “but I was trying to keep my composure.”

Lawrence shot a sparkling 50 percent (19 of 38), but the potent Falcons made 22 of 42 shots for 53.4 percent.

“That’s by far the best team we’ve played,” Lewis said. “They’re long, and they’re very athletic.”

Next for the Lions will be a meeting with Denver Lincoln at 4:45 p.m. Thursday at the Topeka Invitational in the Topeka West gym.

O-South girls 55, Lawrence 37

Unbeaten and ranked No. 1 in at least one Class 6A poll, the Falcons led by as many as 19 points and cruised past the cold-shooting Lions.

Lawrence made only 14 of 41 shots (34.1 percent) and was punished inside by O-South’s Kelsey Balcom and Brooke Rinehart who scored 19 and 18 points, respectively.

“When we gave them second chances, they scored every time, it seemed like,” Lawrence coach Nick Wood said.

Lawrence made a mini-run, closing within 11 points at the end of the third quarter, but the Lions faded down the stretch.

“I was actually pretty impressed with how we played,” said senior guard Haley Parker, who led the Lions with a dozen points, “but we lacked the ability to rebound with them.”

Junior guard Natalie Knight, who has made an oral commitment to Kansas University, scored six points for the Falcons (8-0).

The Lions (2-6) will be idle until Jan. 28.

Comments

ldawg 4 years, 2 months ago

mom_of_three.... I think I can help you. Have your daughter focus on improving her skills and always be positive. Understand the only thing you can control is you and what comes out of your mouth. You cannot control coaches and you cannot control the players ability. Encourage your kid to work on getting better and praise her for making a 6A basketball team. Negative comments are destructive and distracting and serve no purpose in you reaching your interests.

formerlhsplayer 4 years, 2 months ago

mom_of_three you seem like you are a bit sore that your kid isn't getting enough playing time :( poor mama's baby maybe you should just keep her home and home school her and make your own team since you know so much and then you wouldn't have to worry about the seniors than ANCHORED the state championship game a couple years ago

75x55 4 years, 2 months ago

"I hope the coach can find that balance before it's too late. "

KU_Dude - you see, they have to get it right, before the crystal in their palm changes....and it's too late.

To each their own - and upon whomever is in the fallout radius.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

The seniors are invaluable to this team, no doubt, especially the handful that played in the 2008 championship game. And there are other talented seniors, juniors and sophomores on this team. But if this team is going win in March, they need to find a balance. I hope the coach can find that balance before it's too late.

KU_Dude 4 years, 2 months ago

mom_of_three = helicopter parent

Get a grip people, it's high school basketball.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

75x55 - I am in perfect control of myself. I cheer for the kids at games. I just see the entire game differently than you. I see the big picture evidently.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

Let's see, so it's okay for the Olathe south players to run circles around our seniors, and to score whenever they wanted, but not put a junior or a sophomore on them. Whatever...The team is more than seniors. Since the juniors played like 8 minutes total, I don't think you can say that the seniors were effective - could you. Nope, not really.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

man, you guys are clueless. do you watch the same game as me? Kulas was a post player as the two highest scorers for the Olathe South team. What's the difference? No one else could stop Olathe South. Why not give someone else a try?
Olathe South's talented guards didn't score 33 points against us, the post players did.

lionbacker 4 years, 2 months ago

You do understand Mom of Three that Kulas is a post player and that Olathe South has a bunch of talented guards. So your solution is to play this "junior" against girls who could run circles around her? I believe the game plan was different because the team they were playing was different.

75x55 4 years, 2 months ago

Let me tell you my amateur opinion - how 'bout you cheer the kids on, post nice comments about kids that do great (using their names), and not use anonymous newspaper comments/blogs to sideline coach?

It'll make the season and sport that much better for everyone. The last thing high school sports need are parents that cannot control themselves.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

Let me tell you my amateur opinion. You have a junior who can play defense, but doesn't have luck shooting the ball. You have a senior who doesn't want to play and whose heart isn't in it, but is anyway. You have another senior who was messing up plays the other night, but no one says a word. You have another senior who is learning to be a team player. Another senior can shoot lights out from the three and is a natural, quiet leader and has been greatly missed. You another another junior who has a natural shooting touch, but didn't get much playing time the other night. You have another senior who is just getting the footwork down, another who busts her but on the floor and another who plays lazy at times. Another junior who is still learning the game, but has moments of brilliance. This team has made great strides since the first of the season, but you have a coach who keeps changing things that work, and seems unable to change the things that doesn't. This is a team, not a senior team, but a team.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

And you would be wrong, too, there lionbacker

lionbacker 4 years, 2 months ago

those seniors were a huge part of a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP, and a huge part of many wins the last 3 seasons. lets just enjoy their talents, this isnt 5th grade rec league. I believe coach wood is playing the players who 1st are practicing the best and 2nd are the most talented.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

And I am not saying this team does not need seniors, but it needs more than seniors. This team needs to play together, which they did the previous Tuesday, but seemed to be lacking something on Friday. But I object to the seniors being put on a pedestal when all it does is hurt the team.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

It's obvious you have no clue about me. numnut

buddy2me 4 years, 2 months ago

mom...I guess we will have to agree to disagree. And by the way, I do watch this team closely. I have been watching the southwest girls that are Seniors since they were in 4th grade. It's obvious that you are a Junior parent and are very jealous of some of the senior girls.

mom_of_three 4 years, 2 months ago

Try Tait's take, where he talks about individual players. You must not watch this team too closely, because there are a couple of talented juniors on this team. They played on Tuesday, but their minutes were much less on Friday. According to Tait, Peterson played her butt off against Kulas. Put her on either of the two top scorers for Olathe South and it might have been a different ball game. I saw some seniors with no heart and no desire to win. And I disagree about the juniors not adding to this team.
There has to be a balance between offense and defense. It doesn't matter how many points you score on offense if you can not stop the other team on defense.

buddy2me 4 years, 3 months ago

momofthree....No where in Taits article after Tuesdays game does it mention players about their defense

"It took them six games to get going, but the Lawrence High girls basketball team discovered something about themselves during Tuesday’s 47-36 victory over Shawnee Mission North. When seniors Haley Parker, Cassie Potter and Jasmyn Turner all come to play, the Lions are still a pretty dangerous team.

“We’re not very good individually,” LHS coach Nick Wood said. “But when we decide to play together, we can be a really good ball team.”

Behind eight points and five assists from Parker, 12 points (including the first eight of the third quarter) from Turner and a couple of key buckets from Potter down the stretch, the LHS girls improved to 2-5 with a hard-fought, 11-point victory against the Indians. SM North senior forward Brianna Kulas, who’s heading to Kansas State next season, finished with a game-high 23 points.

The Lions led by one at halftime and opened up an eight-point lead by the start of the fourth quarter. Turner and Potter combined to do all of the LHS scoring in the third and Parker assisted on three of their five baskets.

“We were just tired of losing and we wanted to put a stop to it,” Turner said. “It was so nice to have all of us play well at the same time. And tonight we actually made shots.”

LHS’s boys and girls will play host to Olathe South on Friday"

This is the article from Wed. paper and it sure doesn't say anything about players defense. There must be a different article that you are talking about. Sorry, I just don't see it. Can you explain....

buddy2me 4 years, 3 months ago

I've said it before this season, and I'll say it again, mom.... I've been to a few games (was there Tuesday & Friday), without the seniors that are on the team, this team would be nothing! I didn't see anything from Tuesday, that would have helped Friday evening. Difference is, that the Seniors looked like they wanted to win Friday evening, just a very good South team. No way was any Junior or Sophomore on the team going to make any difference Friday evening.

mom_of_three 4 years, 3 months ago

In the last game, tait commended a couple of players on their defense and team player. Yet Wood played more seniors on Friday night. No balance with offense and defense. More balance like Tuesday night, and it might have been a different ball game.