Archive for Friday, December 17, 2010

Lawrence man convicted of abusing infant daughter, choking 6-year-old

December 17, 2010

In this file photo, Bradley W. Ford waits in the hearing room after making his first appearance via video at the Douglas County Jail, Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2010.

A 30-year-old Lawrence man pleaded no-contest Friday morning to two counts of child abuse after he was accused of abusing two children in September including his infant daughter.

Douglas County District Judge Michael Malone convicted Bradley W. Ford of the two felony counts after he entered the pleas.

Lawrence police investigators at an October preliminary hearing testified that Ford told them he became frustrated the night of Sept. 24 when his 6-week-old daughter was crying and threw her onto a bed, but she bounced onto the floor. The alleged incident took place at their residence in the 200 block of Pinecone Drive.

On Sept. 25, police were called by medical personnel to Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., where the infant was being treated for several injuries, including broken bones.

Prosecutors had also alleged he choked his 6-year-old stepdaughter earlier that week.

According to the district attorney’s office, Ford faces prison sentences of 31 to 136 months on each count, depending upon his criminal history. Malone is scheduled to sentence him on Feb. 4.

Amy McGowan, a chief assistant district attorney, prosecuted the case.

Comments

KcSlumper 4 years, 4 months ago

OMG and an infant........POS. I hope this mother is able to keep her kids safe once the POS gets out. Course, one can hope he won't come out of KDOC upright.....one huge body bag would do.

Loretta James 4 years, 4 months ago

like a 6 week old can do anything to deserve that hope he gets thrown around a bit where he's going

Loretta James 4 years, 4 months ago

The mother ought to be watched very closely

Loretta James 4 years, 4 months ago

The mother ought to be watched very closely

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 4 months ago

Please do GIVE ME A BREAK, Pywacket!!!!!!! You REALLY think these two precious, innocent little ones should be handed over to THAT mother???????? Are you as insane as almost everyone else in the world????? These children need a very special family to take them in and show them all the love in the world...there are some incredible foster families and the social workers know which families are THE BEST.

PLEASE don't let this "mother" have these two precious little ones back!!!

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

OK I'm only going on the pic so don't vilify me, but the man in the photo has the body type of people I have seen before; ex steroid users. They aren't just "fat", they have muscles that have turned to fat when they stop using the drugs. Chris Benoit, a wrestler for a number of years and a steroid user, went into a 'roid rage and annihilated his entire family and then killed himself. These drugs are illegal for a reason. I'm not saying this guy was a user and I'm not saying it's an excuse. It is a possible reason. If this guy was a user then he was a walking time bomb from the word go.

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 4 months ago

@ cait48....YOUR POINT BEING....?????????

Just the thought of throwing a six-week old infant onto the bed is beyond enough...and to have it bounce off the bed and land on the floor with broken bones????? AT SIX-WEEKS-OLD????? And the six-year-old...heaven help her...no telling what he has done to this little one!!!!

ISN'T ANYONE OUT THERE AS OUTRAGED ABOUT THIS AS I AM???????????!!!!!!!!!!

twoleftfeet 4 years, 4 months ago

I am.

I know we're not supposed to "throw stones" but people like this make it really, REALLY hard. Those poor angels.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

I really had no point, just giving a possible reason. And of course I'm outraged no matter the cause. I have four children and 6 grandchildren. If anyone did such a thing to them I would be beyond outraged! No child should undergo that kind of treatment!

mem 4 years, 4 months ago

The most upsetting thing about this story is this piece of scum did this in September and he's just now becoming served.... I know I know -- law enforcement and the judicial system have a long list of procedures to comply with, but how do you feel with someone like him who committed such a crime walking the streets? Maybe when he's out to dinner he'll snap on you and your family sitting across the restaurant. We need to get it together in the courts and be able to put people where they belong after such heinous crimes.

mem 4 years, 4 months ago

anonymous5 4 years, 4 months ago

It's very easy for people on the outside of this young man's situation to post horrible comments. Freedom of Speech, correct? It's hard to determine not knowing all the facts exactly what took place. Granted laying your hands on an innocent child is incomprehensible to me. However, from the intial article on this particular incident the mother was visiting a "friend", try the local bar, drunk from what I understand not the first time. True I feel the children should be removed from this home from both parents. Unfortunately, the damage has been done to these young children, and a young man is probably going to go to prison for a really long time and a mother once again will be walking the streets anticipating the return of her children to what, continue life of this type of situation. I will keep this young man in my prayers, along with the children and their mother. I am not a judge, jury, nor am I God, I can only pray they all get the help they need. I just hope that all the FACTS are presented in this case. Once again reading the articles it appears they are not.