Archive for Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Off-duty jailer on administrative leave after shooting

August 18, 2010

— An off-duty Wabaunsee County jailer is on administrative leave after shooting a man who appeared to be having car trouble.

Sheriff Doug Howser says the jailer stopped to help a person around 5 p.m. Monday on a rural road near Harveyville in northeast Kansas. The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the man was shot after the two became involved in an altercation.

The shooting victim was taken by air ambulance to a Topeka hospital for wounds that weren't believed to be life-threatening.

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation is looking into the incident.

Comments

Practicality 4 years, 4 months ago

There appears to be a lack of information concerning this incident. What, were they arguing the ins and outs of how to change a tire? And since when did jailers start carrying weapons on them?

1234 4 years, 4 months ago

Anyone can carry with a CCW permit.

Danimal 4 years, 4 months ago

Or if they're an off-duty law enforcement officer.

1029 4 years, 4 months ago

I bet someone didn't "buy American". That usually seems to be the cause when something like this happens.

skinny 4 years, 4 months ago

most jailers carry weapons and work the streets too!

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 4 months ago

This particular second-rate, amateur reporting is by the Associated Press. So, this time, we can't take credit for it.

WHY 4 years, 4 months ago

Silly us. Why would be expect a story about a shooting 20 miles from us to be covered by a local reporter, or expect that a reporter could make 2 or 3 phone calls and get some information. It is probably cheaper to just borrow another story with no facts and post it online. Newspapers will continue to become obsolete because they don't have news in them, which makes me sad, because I like the paper with news written on it.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually, Harveyville is 57 miles from Lawrence and well outside the area that we cover. We confine our coverage to Douglas County, and adjacent areas of neighboring counties. We can't cover the whole area, so we aggressively limit what we use our reporters to cover and turn to partners, including the Associated Press, to cover other areas.

WHY 4 years, 4 months ago

Look, I appreciate that you have limits, but what I want from your paper are answers. That is why I read it. And often you have some. And other times I have 2 dozen questions after reading a story and just wish there was a person whose job was to ask those questions for me and get back to me with the answers. A paper full of those articles would be worth a couple of bucks and amazing if free on the internet. And it is not like this paper always fails, as you have run a number of good articles in it recently. Holding people accountable and asking hard questions is what you should be about.

Practicality 4 years, 4 months ago

LOL! Good one Jonathan. You have caught on to the snarkiness that is common on these threads.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Iwetmypants = hung out to dry nailed to the wall by JK

slowplay 4 years, 4 months ago

BAM! One for JK. Keep up the good work.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

I would say your goal is to shoot to incapacitate as quickly as possible, not necessarily kill. I agree that there is a lot more to this story than is being told in this short article.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, the two often go hand in hand. The quickest way to incapacitate them is a hit to the CNS, but that is a difficult shot, especially on a moving target during a stressful shooting situation. Many people don't realize even a shot to the heart may leave the person with 10-15 seconds of voluntary activity, plenty of time to return a fatal shot.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 4 months ago

actually, you should "shoot to stop" the agressor from his/her agressive behavior. The best way to stop someone is a center mass hit, which often results in death.

Practicality 4 years, 4 months ago

Ahhh, I see someone has had Law Enforcement training. . . .

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm a few days late, but I would argue that a hit to the center mass is not the best way to stop someone. I'm not saying it's not the best shot in a self-defense situation, but as a simple "shoot to stop," disabling the CNS would prove quicker. That's from a purely biological standpoint, a hit to the heart, lungs, or other major organs or arteries will incapacitate and kill someone, possibly within seconds; however, a shot that impacts the CNS will instantly incapacitate or kill someone.

To make myself clear though, I'm not saying people should aim for the Central Nervous System if forced to fire against an aggressor, the center mass is still the best because it is a larger target. But teaching "shoot to stop" and center mass, are simply easy things to remember if having to shoot defensively, I'm not arguing that at all, that's the area I aim for when doing defensive shooting practice.

garyr 4 years, 4 months ago

Another fine example of a law enforcement officer letting his badge go to his head. A perfect example of their "shoot first, ask questions last" mentality. Policemen are nothing more than after college frat boys. Probably kicked out of college or college drop out former frat boys I should say!!!

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

I'd say there is hardly enough information in this article to come to that assumption.

oldvet 4 years, 4 months ago

The officer on the street has 2-4 seconds to make a decision and take action and the legality of that action will be determined by a 5-4 split on the Supreme Court 6 years later...