Commissioners will take public comment on possible changes to the city’s public transit routes. Commissioners are not expected to take any final action on the route proposals.
Among the changes proposed are: Merging Route 1 and Route 2 into a single route; changing Route 3’s schedule to limit the number of buses traveling on the route during the nonpeak period of 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; split Route 5 into two separate routes to serve areas east and west of Iowa Street; split Route 6 to create more direct service for the area near Free State High; and modify Route 7 to create more frequent access at Haskell Indian Nations University.
More information can be found at the city’s Web site, lawrenceks.org.
• Proclaim the month of April as Parkinson’s Disease Awareness Month.
• Proclaim the month of April as Fair Housing Month.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Feb. 23.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the Mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Set bid opening date of May 11 for Bid No. B1024 - Wet Weather Storage for Expansion for Pump Station No. 9.
b.) Set bid opening date of May 18 for Bid No. B1020 - 2010 Pump and Motor Rehabilitation project.
c.) Approve payment to Johnson County in the amount of $68,750 for continuing education classes for Lawrence licensed contractors who will attend training during the 2010 program year.
d) Award low bid for two 20 yard rear load refuse trucks for the Public Works Department to Downing Sales and Service for $199,232.
e) Award low bid for a 25 yard rear load refuse truck with optional radio for Public Works Department to Downing Sales and Service for $135,313.
• Adopt the following ordinance(s) on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8497, initiating a previously authorized 55 percent tax abatement on machinery and equipment for Amarr Garage Doors and repealing Ordinance No. 8470.
b) Ordinance No. 8501, establishing the Social Service Funding Advisory Board.
• Adopt the following resolution(s):
a) Resolution No. 6880, ratifying the Community Development Advisory Committee’s decision in finding the property at 331 Johnson Ave. to be in violation of City Code Sections 9-601.1 (A) and (C)
b) Resolution No. 6881, amending the composition of the Retail Task Force to remove one City Commissioner and add one County Commissioner as members and repealing Resolution No. 6877.
• Accept dedication of easements and rights of way for a Preliminary Plat, PP-1-2-10, for Lawrence Municipal Airport Addition No. 2, approximately 15.7 acres, at 1915 Airport Road, and variances from Sections 20-801 & 20-810 of the Subdivision Regulations regarding the portion of property to be platted and number of access points to the site. Submitted by the city of Lawrence, property owner of record.
• Approve rezoning, Z-1-2-10, of approximately 8.26 acres, southeast of West 27th Street and Crossgate Drive, from PUD (Planned Unit Development) to OS (Open Space). Submitted by the city of Lawrence, property owner of record.
• Accept dedication of easements and rights of way for a two-lot Preliminary Plat, PP-1-1-10, for Four Seasons Pump Station, containing approximately 30.894 acres, southeast of West 27th Street and Crossgate Drive.
• Approve a Special Use Permit, SUP-1-2-10, for the city of Lawrence Pump Station 09 Wet Weather Storage Expansion, a minor utility, on approximately 8.18 acres, southeast of West 27th Street and Crossgate Drive. Submitted by the city of Lawrence, property owner of record.
• Approve a revised Preliminary Development Plan, PDP-1-1-10, for Bauer Farm, on approximately 43.88 acres, at 4700 W. Sixth St. The revised plan proposes the development of an independent living facility on the 4.24 acres at the immediate southwest corner of Overland Drive and Folks Road. Submitted by Landplan Engineering, for Free State Group LLC; Free State Holdings Inc; Bauer Farms Residential LLC; Bauer Farm Retail Pad 1 LLC; Kansas CVS Pharmacy LLC; Lawrence Tunnel Wash LLC; Pete G. & Diana Bernal; and Lee & Karen Schmidt, property owners of record.
• Approve Special Event Permit, SE-3-12-10, for a Country Produce tent sale at the Sears parking lot, 2727 Iowa, from July 10 through Aug. 15.
• Acknowledge extension of the city/Kansas University Land Use Agreement for another five-year term.
• Approve temporary use of right-of-way permits allowing use of city parking lots 8 and 10 for the 2010 Downtown Lawrence Farmers’ Market.
• Approve as signs of community interest a request from the Mid-America Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society to place signs promoting the Walk MS event to be on April 10 at Sunflower School near various intersections contingent on adjacent property owner permission; signs will be in place through April 10.
• Approve as signs of community interest a request from the Lawrence Home Builders Association to place directional signs in various rights-of-way for the Spring Parade of Homes, April 16-26.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Receive public comments and recommendations for changes in the Public Transit Service.
• Consider awarding Bid No. B1006 - Pump Station No. 25 and Force Main Upgrade to the lowest bidder, Midland Contractors Inc., for $2,372,596 and authorize the city manager to execute a contract agreement for the project and consider authorizing the city manager to execute a construction service agreement with Burns & McDonnell for Pump No. 25 and Force Main Upgrade for $64,946.70.
• Consider approving temporary use of right-of-way permit to BFG Communications for the 2010 Spring College Carnival on Eighth Street between Massachusetts Street and New Hampshire Street from 9 a.m. to midnight on Monday, April 19, contingent on departmental approval of specific site layout, receipt of proper proof of insurance, and negotiation of a service agreement to compensate the city for service costs.
• Receive audit recommendation follow-up report from the city auditor.