Archive for Sunday, September 6, 2009

Joe’s Bakery reveals doughnut recipe

On Saturday, Joe's Bakery owner Ralph Smith released the recipe for the popular bakery's doughnuts. The bakery, at 616 W 9th St., was closed in the fall of 2007. In it's place, Smith and business partner Rachel Churchill have opened a greeting card and collectible store.

September 6, 2009

Recipe for 'Bunches'

Bread flour — 25 lbs

Water — 12 lbs

Yeast — 1 lb

Corn sugar — 2.5 lbs

Margarine — 2.5 lbs

Salt — 0.5 lb

Milk powder — 12 oz

K-Flay — 2 oz

Butter Flavor

Kansas University junior Niki Orth walked into Joe’s Bakery on Saturday afternoon.

“This is the place, it’s just missing the smell,” she said looking around the space that is now a greeting card and collectible store but once satisfied college students’ sweet tooth with hot fresh glazed doughnuts.

“I remember being little and walking down here to get doughnuts after football games,” Orth said. Her father held even fonder memories of making midnight runs to the bakery when he lived along Tennessee Street.

“When I told him Joe’s Bakery closed, he almost cried,” she said.

It was with those sentiments that people streamed into Joe’s Bakery on Saturday afternoon to pick up copies of the store’s original doughnut recipe.

Opened in 1952 by Joe Smith, Joe’s Bakery emerged into a late-night staple for Kansas University students taking study breaks or coming home from bars. Hours ran from 5 a.m. to 2 a.m.

The bakery closed in fall 2007, a few years after Ralph Smith, Joe’s son, sold it to a new set of owners.

Business has recently returned to the building. Smith and his business partner Rachel Churchill opened a shop that holds coins, collectibles and hand-stamped greeting cards made by Churchill. Above the old bakery is an art gallery that the owners hope to fill with local work.

As a way to promote the new business, Smith decided to release the doughnut recipe. And more of the store’s favorites could follow, including Joe’s Bakery’s beloved egg salad and sugar cookies.

Releasing the recipe also gives Smith an easy answer when people ask where the doughnuts are — now they can make them on their own.

“Lawrence has been good to this little bakery. And KU has been good. This is a way to keep a little of the history going,” Smith said.

The recipe handed out to customers Saturday was a reproduction of the original with grease-stained fingerprints and all.

Quantities start off with 25 pounds of flour and worked their way up to 175 pounds of flour.

It’s enough to make “bunches,” Smith said.

As a true baker’s recipe, no instructions are given about what to do with the ingredients. The full process requires mixing, letting the dough rise, cutting out the doughnuts and frying them in oil heated at 375 degrees.

As for the recipe itself, don’t expect any surprises.

“It is pretty basic. I’m not trying to fool anyone,” Smith said. “The secret ingredient at Joe’s Bakery was hard work.”

While the doughnuts are good, Smith isn’t so sure they are good for you. He’s lost 50 pounds since he sold the bakery.

“I’ve probably saved some lives,” he said.

The not-so-healthy snack won’t stop Dennis Constance from attempting to reproduce the doughnuts at home.

Constance started coming to the bakery as a college student in the late 1960s, when it was the only place in town open at 2 a.m. Then he moved into Old West Lawrence, and he would walk around the corner to get doughnuts with his children.

“I’m not supposed to eat a lot of doughnuts anymore,” Constance said. “I’ll have to scale the portions down a little bit.”

Comments

cms 5 years, 3 months ago

Hmmmm, what is K-Flay?

And, I would love to have the recipe for Joe's egg salad sandwich!

wifemotherslave 5 years, 3 months ago

As I was reading this article I was just thinking...ummm The egg salad sandwich..that was the best, the one on white bread. They did serve it on wheat too. I would get a glazed doughnut, an egg salad sandwich, and a small carton of milk. The carbohydrate addicts dream come true...yum Joe's. I am placing a copy of the recipe in my family recipe box.

lawrencian 5 years, 3 months ago

How about a manageable amount?

2# bread flour 1# water 8 tsp yeast 1/2 c. corn sugar 1/2 c. margarine 4 tsp. salt 2 Tsp milk powder 1 tsp butter flavor

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

the original Joe's was the best! oh, the doughnuts! chocolate, cream filled, yummmmm!

the people who tried to run the bakery last really failed. doughnuts reduced in size, not quite the right texture.

personally, I think if the 'real' Joe's reopened in Lawrehnce today, it would bring in so much business!

save lives?

do we want long, vapid lives of unending bordum, and eating cardboard food that's "good for us," or do we want to enjoy our lives, including the food we eat?

George_Braziller 5 years, 3 months ago

For 7 1/2 years I lived downwind and 150 feet from Joe's and only went in once. The constant smell of hot grease and cooking doughnuts just about made me ralph.

jhkfan 5 years, 3 months ago

Can't wait to get the sugar cookie recipe!! Will this also be online--I don't live in Lawrence & can't go to the store to get it.

How many cups are in 1# water? What is corn sugar, corn syrup?

Joe's Bakery---aw, the memories.

loriefoltz 5 years, 3 months ago

Joe's was bought and sold I believe two times with no success. I cried when my doughnut lady died, she always knew what I wanted. I'm thankful our children grew up with Joe's but it's over and I'm now thankful I have the recipe for my grandchildren. What wonderful memories of hot doughnuts !!!!

jayhawkalum 5 years, 3 months ago

If anyone was wondering, corn sugar (aka dextrose) can be found at homebrewing suppliers :D Just a guess, but since it ferments more quickly than beet or cane sugar, the dextrose + yeast is the "secret" to that classic Joe's flavor and texture.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

since Joe himself is distributing it, I'm thinking it is the right stuff.

hard to believe you actually agree with me on anything PP.

---just about made you Ralph Who? ... sorry, couldn't resist George.

Janet Lowther 5 years, 3 months ago

Getting the proportions is nice, but how about the procedure?

Did they raise once or twice before they were rolled out and cut? Was it mixed with a hook or a spiral mixer? How thick was the dough rolled? What kind of grease and how hot?

Or is this all baking industry standard stuff?

And how about that ouie-gooie glaze? It never set up dry the way Krispie Creme's' glaze does.

workinghard 5 years, 3 months ago

I remember on Valentines day getting the giant heart donut for my daughter's 2nd grade class.

yankeelady 5 years, 3 months ago

A hot, fresh donut, egg salad on white bread, and chocolate milk. That was the best.

TriSigmaKS 5 years, 3 months ago

Get rid of the lame card store and bring back Joe's! Now someone with baking skills has the recipe, open up a Joe's and bring it back!

Loretta James 5 years, 3 months ago

I use to help make those egg salad sandwiches they were good then and would be today. Loved those cookies to. I know why Ralph got out of it, One of the hardest jobs there is. They made all the buns for sandwiches also and all the cleaning took lots of hard work to keep it going. The elder smiths were great to work for will never forget them. Good luck to Ralph's new venture.

Loretta

ChristineMetz 5 years, 3 months ago

I see several comments here and I've gotten several e-mails about what K-Flay is. It's yellow food coloring. Hope that helps.

Christine Metz Journal-World reporter

Celeste Plitz 5 years, 2 months ago

I NEED Joe's Sugar Cookies. Need them, I say. Please let me have the recipe Ralph!!!! My dad used to walk me over to Joe's all the time, and I'd get those sugar cookies with the beautiful frosting...melt in your mouth deliciousness. Ahhhh. No other sugar cookie compares.