Kansas legislature

Kansas Legislature

State suspends paying income tax refunds, may miss payroll as budget tightens

State employees may not get paid this week after Republican legislative leaders blocked an inter-governmental loan on Monday, Gov. Kathleen Sebelius said.

February 16, 2009, 1:39 p.m. Updated February 16, 2009, 5:46 p.m.

Payroll, tax refunds in jeopardy

The state says it doesn't have enough money in its account to pay the bills. Enlarge video

Related document

State Finance Council statement ( .DOC )

Related document

Republican leaders issue county statements ( .PDF )

Reader poll
Have you filed for your state income tax refund?

or See the results without voting

“Through their refusal to act today, the Republican legislative leadership is jeopardizing our citizens’ pocketbooks for no other reason than to play political games — games in which the only ones set to lose are Kansas families, workers and schools,” Sebelius said.

In addition to state employee paychecks, payments to schools, Medicaid and income tax refunds are also in question.

The state’s general fund had $10.4 million in it Monday morning, Goossen said. The state’s payroll is $24 million, and state officials start processing those checks Wednesday for payment Friday. Last Friday, the state stopped paying income tax refunds because of the lack of cash.

The fireworks erupted after Sebelius requested a $225 million certificate of indebtedness to handle payments during the current low cash-flow period. Certificates of indebtedness, which have become almost routine during the past 10 years, allow the state to move funds around for cash-flow purposes.

Issuing the certificates requires agreement from legislative leaders, and the state has already issued $550 million worth during the current fiscal year.

But this time, House Speaker Mike O’Neal, R-Hutchinson, and Senate President Steve Morris, R-Hugoton, refused.

They demanded that Sebelius, a Democrat, cut the budget first to close an increasing revenue gap.

And they said that under state law, the certificates can only be issued if it can be certified there will be enough funds at the end of the fiscal year to cover them. According to a memo from the Kansas Department of Legislative Research, it doesn’t appear that would be the case, the Republicans said.

“This is important work, and we do intend to comply with the law,” O’Neal said.

O’Neal and Morris said Sebelius could satisfy their concerns by signing the budget recission bill approved last week by the Legislature, making executive authority cuts or both. The budget recission bill was expected to reach the governor’s desk by late Tuesday.

But Sebelius’ budget director Goossen said the Republican leaders were wrong if they believe there is a legal impediment to approving the certificates. “That is simply not correct,” he said.

Under the law, the secretary of administration must certify that the state will take the actions necessary to cover the certificates. Goossen is also secretary of administration, and he said he will guarantee that the state will do what is necessary budgetarily to pay off the certificates.

Since the session started in January, Republicans have been at odds with Sebelius over how to bridge a $200 million shortfall in the current fiscal year that could grow to nearly $1 billion in the next fiscal year, which starts July 1.

But Goossen said the cash-flow problem is separate from the state’s budget problems. Prior to the tax filing deadline, the state is often short on cash and must issue certificates of indebtedness, he said. When tax payments start flowing in, the state’s cash-flow situation improves.

Democrats said the Republicans, who hold significant majorities in the Legislature, were trying to pressure Sebelius into making budget cuts she doesn’t want to make by threatening to shut down government.

“This is a helluva way to run a railroad,” Senate Democratic Leader Anthony Hensley of Topeka said. “It is blackmail at its worst, maybe coercion at its best,” he said.

House Democratic Leader Paul Davis of Lawrence said, “This is not a time for partisan politics. We’re talking about essential payments so that services provided by the state can continue.”

Lisa Ochs, president of the Kansas Organization of State Employees, criticized Republican legislative leaders, adding, “Paychecks shouldn’t be held hostage for political maneuvering.”

In response to Hensley’s charge of blackmail, Speaker O’Neal, said, “Nothing could be further from the truth.”

The dispute came right before a meeting of the State Finance Council, which is led by Sebelius and includes legislative leaders.

But before the meeting, O’Neal and Morris went to Sebelius’ office to tell her they would not agree to the certificates of indebtedness.

Asked how the governor reacted to their message, O’Neal said, “It was not very cordial.”

Comments

countrygirl 5 years, 10 months ago

tkofford 5 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if the State Republican legislative leaders who forced this issue will also lose pay as a result of this. As a state employee, if I don't get paid, they damn sure better not get paid either!

gconfo 5 years, 10 months ago

Tkofford,

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to suspend their own paychecks. I don't know who they think they are fooling by pulling this little "stunt", but hopefully it will backfire in their fat faces!

BTW, have you spoken to Joel lately?

imastinker 5 years, 10 months ago

It's a good thing I owe them money. Maybe I should wait to pay them.....

ThoughtPonderer 5 years, 10 months ago

Geez, and I thought I was lucky I had a job. Guess I'll have to rethink that if the paycheck doesn't come in. The only reason I go to work is for the paycheck.

verity 5 years, 10 months ago

I remember how well this plan worked out for Newt Gingerich.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 10 months ago

How about we figure out a friggin' way that the right amount gets deducted during the year and we don't have to get screwed in the spring (although it is mating season) and other people don't to scramble to come up with the money to pay owed taxes in delightful economy times like this?

George_Braziller 5 years, 10 months ago

Hmmmm. Let me see if I have this straight. I have to pay my property taxes, my vehicle registration and taxes, and state income taxes on time or there is a penalty yet they are wanting to hold my paltry state refund hostage? The Kansas Republicans in the legislature have shot themselves in the foot so many times I'm not sure they even have any foot left to shoot off.

This is on par with elementary playground extortion for lunch money.

getreal 5 years, 10 months ago

This is the most ridiculous stunt the legislature has pulled to date. Morris and O'Neal should be ashamed of themselves. Using people's paychecks to punish the Governor. Have they lost their minds? They have certainly lost their souls.

I for one hopes that the Governor will NOT give into blackmail.

These gentlemen are not leaders.

kseagle 5 years, 10 months ago

Maybe it is time for Sebelius to get to work and do her job instead of worring about a position in Obama's cabinet.

But then again, if we can send her to KCI airport with a one way ticket to DC then our state can start working again.

Kuku_Kansas 5 years, 10 months ago

Hijacking state allocated funds to our public schools...affecting our children learning and tax-paying teachers.

Yeah, great idea folks!

MyName 5 years, 10 months ago

And apparently the people who really know how to do the governor's job are on a message board... Or are you talking about the Republicans in the legislature who have to resort to blackmail to get a budget passed.

kseagle 5 years, 10 months ago

She hasn't done her job as governor yet. She happily skips over a dollar to save a penny.

Get a clue. The state of Kansas would be much better off with her in DC.

countrygirl 5 years, 10 months ago

Send the governor to Washington and leave the buffoons who would resort to blackmail in charge? Now I'm really getting scared.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 10 months ago

Who voted Johnny Knoxville an Co. into our legislature?

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

While paying income taxes is a our patriotic duty, giving back the money Kansans over paid in taxes is really hard!

MyName 5 years, 10 months ago

The state of Kansas would be much better off with her in DC.

What, and Shallenberger is our great mustachioed savour? She won a comfortable margin in the last election because she's a really good administrator. The problem with this budget isn't the governor, it's the fact that all the Republicans are running scared and covering their butts.

They want her to sign their budget so they have someone else to blame during the next election. They'd rather blackmail her and try to pass the buck than take the blame for how they're funding the government.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 10 months ago

glad I have my st. refund already for what it was worth, man my daughter not going to be happy she had plans for hers. Didn't they just do this in cali also? This really is a sad state of affairs we are in now.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

countrygirl (Anonymous) says… "Set the party line stuff aside and make sure that people get paid! Our legislature has gotten to be an embarassment."

You don't get it do you? Kansas is out of money and soon Lawrence will follow. Has nothing to do with party lines has to with bookkeeping and accounting.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

I have been waiting for this one...... now I have a reason not to pay... if they don't pay, then neither do I. . .

countrygirl 5 years, 10 months ago

Sigmund--so what do you expect the state employees to do? Work for free? You're the one who doesn't get it.

jrhighmom 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh sure, leave it to the Journal World to create a panic in all the state employees with this headline, yet when the stimulus passed , not one headline about that at all. Why don't you wait until you have all the facts and decisions before getting everyone all upset over something that may not happen?

pickaname 5 years, 10 months ago

This directly stems from people like Chuck and Linda Yelton, who collect welfare, LINK, and SSI under fraudulant terms. They were caught once and are trying to collect again under questionable means. Take, take, take...Never give! Before I am attacked, yes I know these things for a fact, I turned them in once and am waiting to turn them in again. Overweight and lazyness is not disabled. If any of you know these people...Thank them for the state of Kansas's debt and your inability to collect taxes that you paid in. They sure collect all they can, now we citizens, that work cannot collect what we have paid in. Sad.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 10 months ago

Tippin' point people. We may be closer then we think.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

The AP also has this on the Wichita Eagle and KC Star, so I don't think you can blame the LJW.

Shardwurm 5 years, 10 months ago

Finally someone standing up to Sebelius.

Well done.

And logrithmic it's pretty ironic that you're using 'reichwing' when your party subscribes to socialism.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 10 months ago

The socialist wing in Calif. is giving out IOU paper instead of tax refunds.

c_dubya 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, if they suspend refund payments then I guess I'll suspend payments the other way until we make up the difference. I haven't filed yet, but I do believe they're going to owe me some money.

Thinking_Out_Loud 5 years, 10 months ago

Folks, don't we also say "we need to run government like a business?" So, what happens if a business doesn't have enough money to make payroll? It pushes out payroll until it does. This is what we say we want, so why the big deal when government actually gets run that way?

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

countrygirl (Anonymous) says… "Sigmund—so what do you expect the state employees to do? Work for free? You're the one who doesn't get it."

No you don't get it, writing paychecks when you don't have money in the account is a crime even for Gov. Kathy. So if the State bounces your paycheck please feel free to quit.

stateemployee 5 years, 10 months ago

It does not matter if you agree or disagree with the governor. The majority of state works work for less than $40,000 per year and they live paycheck to paycheck. They do not have the money to float just because people can't sit down and talk with one another. From reading the article, it says that money is there just not in to right account. Playing with peoples paychecks and tax refunds is not the way to settle a dispute. But they will still go to work even if they don't get paid.

Jean1183 5 years, 10 months ago

Good thing my kids already got their refunds. I owe $16 and that's with me having an extra amount ($5) withheld AND claiming "withhold at the higher single rate" even though I'm married.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

hawkperchedariverfront (Anonymous) says… "stateemployee's right, but Sigmund's off base."

Huh? My mistake. Apparently Gov. Kathy can write check on money not in the account and that is not a problem when the checks bounce. No need for accounting at all. Oh by the way there are reasons why different funds of money are held in separate accounts and not co-mingled and usually it relates to state and federal laws. If you are living paycheck-to-paycheck (not unlike the State of Kansas) I strongly suggest you learn to budget and live below your means.

tir 5 years, 10 months ago

Delaying refunds is an annoyance, but not paying state workers, some of whom really do live paycheck to paycheck, is a serious problem. I doubt if any legislators are going to go hungry or get evicted if they don't get paid on Friday, but that will be the reality for some.

The Republicans and Sebelius need to sort this out. Pronto.

Burton 5 years, 10 months ago

Wow, shame on me for spending my (yet to be received) KS refund on a new couch...in Kansas no less. Sorry for trying help.

kseagle 5 years, 10 months ago

hawk,

no blackmail here. Just wanting her to do her part of cutting back on her spending to make sure there will be funds down the road to repay the accounts the money is coming out of. She has a poor track record about watching her spending of money for her portion of our state government.

No blackmail in this at all.

monkeyhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

"But Democrats said the Republicans, who hold significant majorities in the Legislature, were trying to blackmail Sebelius, a Democrat, by threatening to shut down government."

Republicans won, dems lost. Get over it.

kseagle 5 years, 10 months ago

monkeyhawk,

I second you there. Obama, Pelosi and their band of goons are doing the same thing in DC....

monkeyhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

'Wonder if the millionaire a@@hole Bill Self is going to get paid on time…"

Self's compensation package comes from private resources. No tuition dollars or state funds are used.

But, I'm sure you feel better now that you have had your primal scream.

feeble 5 years, 10 months ago

Ah, bi-partisanship. The door swings both ways. Now if we could only reverse the particle flow...

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 10 months ago

did the headline change? I thought it said maybe and now says it is done deal??

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

Her first year in office, Sebelius was faced with a serious budget shortfall, and she chose to "solve" it by using an accounting trick: she moved the due date for the property taxes for the second half of the year up a month.

Looks like that huge check she kited finally caught up with her.

mmiller 5 years, 10 months ago

As a state worker, this business of missing "payroll" concerns me. Ummmm...Tell me I'm gonna get paid this Friday?????????? Holy crap.

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

Well, since all Sebelius has to do is sign the bill that includes the provision that makes the transfer of the funds legal. If employees are not paid, the buck stops on her desk, right beside that unused pen.

deskboy04 5 years, 10 months ago

If they don't send state aid to the schools...the schools should shut down. If they can't pay the teachers, they shouldn't show up to work. Let parents have to worry about what to do with their kids all day and see how cool those right wingers look.

kseagle 5 years, 10 months ago

deskboy,

schools are paid out of a different fund than this one that is being discussed. please stay on topic.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

Kansas made national cable news flash. "Kansas can't pay bills"
Hope the game players are happy.

Michael Stanclift 5 years, 10 months ago

Good thing I got my refund already. If they come asking for it back, they can try and get it back from Discover and Visa.

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

so many people seem to be straining at gnats and swallowing rats!

excuse me, I have to go write myself an IOU so I can pay my bills

situveux1 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks a lot Sebelius. If you would have had a little bit of self control these past 6 years, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Just a 5% increase the past four years would have meant a $1 billion SURPLUS rather than a $1 billion DEFICIT.

Amazing.

Bobo Fleming 5 years, 10 months ago

Strange, I got my refund last Friday direct into my bank account

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

does this mean the state will pay us penalties and late fees if our paychecks are "delayed"?

Shane Garrett 5 years, 10 months ago

Don't worry, Gov. S. said she would make sure everyone gets paid. According to the Governor: “The certificate deals with cash flow and as legislative leaders all know, it has nothing to do with the revised 2009 budget. We will need a certificate to make our monthly payments, whether or not the budget work is completed.

“This political game the Republican leaders are playing affects real Kansas families.

Ceallach 5 years, 10 months ago

Wally, did the Gov also make you a good deal on ocean front property in Arizona?

willie_wildcat 5 years, 10 months ago

dweezill222 said: I smell an angry mob in the works...

dweezil222: I think you may be right...I am one of those state employees that will up sh*t creek if the state can't pay up...I forsee a bonfire and effigies of certain political figures being burned

gccs14r 5 years, 10 months ago

Funny how some folks are blaming Sebelius, the person who's trying to make sure folks get paid on time, instead of the Republican-run Legislature, the ones who are throwing a tantrum because the adults won't let them burn coal in the house.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 10 months ago

It is always the highest ranking Republican's fault.. this is a pattern that is not new. Democrat controlled congress but republican in the White House, well, it is Bush's fault. Democrat as KS governor and Republican majority in legislature? Well. it is the Republican's fault.

darthvedder 5 years, 10 months ago

From the KC Star -

"...House Speaker Mike O’Neal and Senate President Steve Morris have scheduled a press conference at 1:45 to discuss the move..." Instead of getting you your refunds the Republican (just stating a fact) leadership is using this opportunity to play press conference tomorrow afternoon, presumably after a lunch and nap time.

perhaps we should participate in our politics -

mike.oneal@house.ks.govp>mike.oneal@house.ks.gov> Steve.Morris@senate.ks.govp>Steve.Morris@senate.ks.gov>

kefarris 5 years, 10 months ago

This pisses me off. I think I can still get my refund close to timely by rolling over my withheld refund for 2009 taxes and then not paying KS withholding for the next few months.

kefarris 5 years, 10 months ago

And I do like that the legislature is demanding the state live within its budget. Borrowing money is stupid.

curious_one 5 years, 10 months ago

Well I went to the KYOU portal and it says that checks have been issued for 2-20-09. Looks like a bunch of people jumping to conclusions.

FarmerBrown 5 years, 10 months ago

willie_wildcat 5 years, 10 months ago

Curious_one: I'll believe the check's been issued when it's sitting in my bank account on Friday morning. I am one of those state employees whose check is being used by those politicians (and I use the term very lightly) to get their way.

igby 5 years, 10 months ago

This is just a smoke screen so the the state can hold up your money!

It's got nothing to do with what gets passed or not.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

FarmerBrown (Anonymous) says… "This is nothing more than the Republicans attempt to seek revenge for the coal plant veto."

Sure, keep telling yourself this is nothing but a political stunt and Kansas finances are just fine.

tir 5 years, 10 months ago

Quote from above article:

"Asked at a news conference if the state’s 42,000 state employees, including those at Kansas University, would be paid Friday, Sebelius’ budget director Duane Goossen said, “I don’t know.”"

To me that sounds an awful lot like University employees' paychecks may NOT be issued on Friday, if this situation doesn't get resolved.

oohmgrover 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm a university employee and I was told by my supervisor that we are included in those who may not receive their checks

justaverage 5 years, 10 months ago

Probably shouldn't have built the new parking garage at the statehouse. That money would be handy to have now.

Hawk6643 5 years, 10 months ago

If we don't get paid on Friday I am taking the day off. Screw this!

urthlvr 5 years, 10 months ago

there are several different types of employees at KU. there are Unclassified Professionals and Support Staff.

it is my understanding that UP are still state employees, part of the Unclassified Professional and Classified classifications for state employees.

Support Staff are not exactly civil servants any more. SS money comes from the university's budget.

if i'm correct, UP will not get paid and SS will get paid.

geekyhost 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh good gravy. I think the GOP will find that this is a losing issue. People make like to think theoretically about budget cuts, but they sure do like their schools, their fire departments, and their income tax returns.

rusty2 5 years, 10 months ago

oops maybe that capitol building project was a wee bit pricey.

Brian Conrad 5 years, 10 months ago

GOP? California the most liberal state stopped paying weeks ago. Blame game .. Sebilus leaving state ... she was in charge for worst debt in history,
now dump and run we need her in DC. both parties are IDIOTS!

Centerville 5 years, 10 months ago

Sebelius is delusional. Those tax refunds do not belong to her or to the state government. The fact that they are refunds means the state has had use of that money, interest-free, for up to one year. Enough already. Send them out and get on with straightening out our mess of a state budget.

Centerville 5 years, 10 months ago

Sebelius thought she'd be long gone before this or our electric bills hit the fan.

willie_wildcat 5 years, 10 months ago

Hawk6643: I think a lot of state employees will be taking off on Friday if their checks aren't there. Even though we got an email from our HR saying that the payroll was confirmed for Friday, I will not believe it until I see my check safely deposited in my checking account Friday morning.

mnorris 5 years, 10 months ago

Although the Republican legislaters might be holding up state payroll, where did it say they were responsible for the ceasing of paying tax refunds? The article never overtly made that claim. If it's implied by the newsmedia by juxtpositioning, then its probably not true.

remember_username 5 years, 10 months ago

Wow, that's scary, over a hundred posts already. Breathe people, it's a bluff on both sides so there's no reason to panic. Checks will go out and both sides will proclaim victory.

Sometimes, I think I'd like to see a little anarchy though, but...in Berkley CA, not Topeka KS, the crazy's in KS are armed. In Berkley CA they'd just paint themselves purple and run around screaming...wait...or is that Manhattan?

morganalefay 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm a university employee and no supervisor informed me of anything! I didn't know about this until I was advised to check out this article.

Maybe it is a bluff and that's why no supervisor told me anything. Maybe it's true and I won't get paid. Who knows? One thing I do know, a lot of us on the hill get our information about all this from the LJ-World, not the administration. Should I worry?

CeeDub 5 years, 10 months ago

GoDot 4:30 p.m.: Yup, I remember when Sebelius first took office and she changed the payment of our June prop taxes to May in order to balance the budget. She was given SO many kudos which was a joke, because it was just fuzzy math as the budget was a mess the following year when everything was in sync again.

I think it's disgusting that there's even a discussion of the possibility that checks might be held up.

Also, can anyone explain to me why she feels she needs to take 100% of each town's liquor tax that is collected for the State, and not give anything back to the collecting town? I have been unable to find the reason for it anywhere, and think it is madness.

Sebelius has done everything possible since she became governor to get herself noticed on the national scene, and has let things slide here in Kansas. The coal plants in western Kansas would be a huge boost to our economy, and she did not even take the time to see how efficient they really are. If she had, she would not have vetoed the legislation. Obama himself promoted clean coal technology on the campaign trail, well, it's here! Also, if we think the job situation is bad here in eastern Kansas, she needs to research the western half.

If she's not serious about working through the challenges in Kansas, she just better high-tail it to D.C. If she really wants to stay, she needs to start listening with an open mind, and truly promote bipartisanship in Kansas. Not the stuff that's happening in Washington with Obama promoting it and Pelosi and Reid shutting out the Republicans and not even taking their input....

N_Trenched 5 years, 10 months ago

It all runs downhill. Thanks Kat for running the State into the ground with your socialist antics! I wouldn't expect her to take any responsibility for her actions though.... she wants it all but at our expense.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 10 months ago

This is the most disgusting behavior I have ever seen on a state-wide level. Many people depend on those refunds (although it is now readily apparent why you should NOT!) Pogo has the right idea, make sure your withholding is set so you owe them at tax time, not so they can steal your money for their own misconduct. The money withheld from your paycheck is YOURS, not THEIRS, but apparently this point of law, morality, business policy, you name it, is not considered above the right of the state to STEAL your money without your consent to cover their incompetant asses. I do not vote for Republicans. Does anyone know why????????????????

4getabouit 5 years, 10 months ago

The Governor wants to veto the recent bill of recission because it could present problems qualifying for part of the stim package. Much of the stim is qualified and cannot be used to offset legislative cuts. The Republicans know they (the Dems) need time to build support to sustain the veto. Read between the lines, it's politics as usual.

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

Sebelius has made the biggest blunder of her political career. She was offered a solution, she failed to show up. This is on her plate.

Check kiting, Enron-style accounting governing brought to you by Gov Kathleen Sebelius has finally met its maker.

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

Looks like Sebelius just dropped the soap.

whatfredsaid 5 years, 10 months ago

Well good thing I am not counting on getting my refund or paycheck to pay my bills....... oh wait I am.

darthvedder 5 years, 10 months ago

Exactly when last Friday did Sibelius et al. suspends state tax refunds? 10 to 1 it was after all scheduled refunds had been sent out... Given all this is coming to a head on a Monday, I'll go 20 to 1 we see resolution by midnight Thursday if not Wednesday. That'll leave the Tuesday news cycle for all the attendant posturing.

mdfraz 5 years, 10 months ago

Sigmund, get off your high horse about people living paycheck to paycheck. I did four years in public service, went back to get my second degree, and I'm back in state service, and it damn sure isn't because of the money they offer. Trust me, even in this economy, with my education and experience, I could be making a lot more money in the private sector, but I'd rather do something where I feel I'm actually accomplishing something on a daily basis, rather than making a company's stock price go up (well, not now, but you get the point) a few pennies. I have student loans and a house to pay off, so yes, as a state employee, that paycheck every two weeks is pretty damn important. I'm all about personal responsibility too, and there isn't enough of it, but there are some state workers who are very responsible who just can't make it with a family and $40,000 or so of income. Get over yourself

The state owes me a paycheck on Friday, my tax refund, and reimbursement for some expenses I incurred a month ago on work related business. I am invested in what happens here. I don't know who's playing politics here; seems the Repubs like to play their games, and if they hold up paychecks for political reasons, they better be ready to see a lot of state workers not showing up for a while. Meanwhile, Sebelius has used the governorship as a stepping stone, and seems slick enough to make it in DC. That's not a compliment. I don't have the answers, but as has been mentioned above, at least the tax refunds are the property of the individuals who are expecting them. The state has NO right to those overpayments, and they are more than hypocritical if they withhold them while punishing delinquent taxpayers. Those people need to face the music, but SO DOES THE STATE.

If there is money available, use it. I know they are separate funds, and co-mingling is a bad idea, but we are in a horrible position. Man up, pay your workers and taxpayers, and FIGURE IT OUT.

roosmom 5 years, 10 months ago

this will affect way more than 42,000 people on state payroll. if they don't pay medicaid that will affect so many more. i provide services to persons with disabilities and it will be hard to do the work if providers aren't paid for it for who knows how long.then that means, people w/ disabilities will be at risk. also, i will buy less gas, groceries, can't pay my daycare and so on and so on. the ramifications of this are so much greater than they appear to be on the surface. get over yourself politicians and work it out! or you shouldn't get paid either!

mistawolf 5 years, 10 months ago

well i guess we cant act like it wasnt going to happen, welcome to the new america... maybe its time this stuff happend, yeah its going to suck! we have farm land start digging an planting foods!

GardenMomma 5 years, 10 months ago

Can I get the state to pay me interest on my refund (and for state employees on their paychecks) since the refund I'm due would have been put in the bank, earning interest?

Seriously though, any ideas when the state will start sending out refund checks again? And does anyone know to whom I can write about this?

angel4dennis 5 years, 10 months ago

She should have been out a long time ago. I don't think she has been for Kansas growth at all the entire career as governor. My husband is a state employee and we rely on his check every two weeks. I only get paid once a mont from the school coop. If we don't get that money, we won't make our rent on time. This is bogus. Obama doesn't want her either or else she would have been gone. Thanks alot Mr. President! So what happens if the State workers revolt and the prisons have no man power in them, the Troopers do not patrol the streets, and the truck drivers get away with carrying unlawful goods across the state? What happens then Ms. Sebelius??

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

mdfraz (Anonymous) says… "Sigmund, get off your high horse about people living paycheck to paycheck. I did four years in public service, went back to get my second degree, and I'm back in state service, and it damn sure isn't because of the money they offer. Trust me, even in this economy, with my education and experience, I could be making a lot more money in the private sector"

Oh sure you could, I bet the private sector is just beating down your door. But you are doing us all a favor by working for less than you could make in the 'evil private sector.' Gosh we are so lucky. You know lets double your salary!!!

VTHawk 5 years, 10 months ago

By definition, this couldn't be considered "blackmail". I think that "extortion" is the word that you are looking for, though I would personally choose "leverage". Obviously the payment stop sucks and looks bad, but solving the problem now solves the problem, whereas internal borrowing just makes the problem bigger.

I am a freshly minted accountant, and actually agree with the legislature here. The budget situation has to be fixed before the state transfers money around that it doesn't have. We don't want to wind up in Cali's situation.

eagle1865 5 years, 10 months ago

There has long been a vacuum of leadership in the Governor's office. Governor Sebilius does nothing & then points the finger at others. She has been too busy positioning herself for that cushy D.C. job that never materialized. The end of her term cannot come too soon!!

workhard 5 years, 10 months ago

Wake up people, we are starting into a world wide depression, Do you really think that the rich republican senate bullies are going to give up their game of robbing the poor so they can live like fat cats? The Arab oil barrens and their rich Republican stock holders only care about the rest of us if we can pay. If we can't pay them back at least 60% of what we make, (Taxes and gasoline money), they don't want to pay our wages no more. (Pay us our stong arm money or we'll close your shop, and throw you out on the street.)

weluvbowling 5 years, 10 months ago

I am not a State employee nor do I think I am getting a State refund but I truly feel for the ones who were expecting their pay/refunds.

No wonder people DESERVING refunds aren't getting them back! I am surprised the Federal refunds haven't been halted yet!!!! biting toungue

Just like this Stimulus BS...they talk about it helping the Citizens...the only way it would help the Citizens is to give it to them to pay their debt which then helps not only the "high ups" but Joe Citizen as well.

It's all a little game that they (the politicians) are all playing right now and we have no choice but to be the ones that they "play" with.

Some may think this is off topic but once you think about it you will understand how it all fits in together. As some someone above said "it all rolls down hill"...well guess who's at the bottom???

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

BTW, the emergency stimulus package that no one could be bothered to read just insured the US standard of living will shortly equal a third world banana republic.So you might as well get used to use to your new status....

mdfraz 5 years, 10 months ago

Since I don't know about you, are you a state employee who will not get his next paycheck? Do you know how all of the state employees spend their checks? No? Hmmmmmm. Yet you still feel knowledgeable enough to criticize those who live paycheck to paycheck, for whatever reasons; kids, school or house loans, taking care of sick relatives, or any number of other reasons that may make saving a lot of money (apparently like you) difficult. I'm glad for you that your life is that easy. I'm not complaining; I just think it's pretty pompous for people like you to badmouth people you know nothing about.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 10 months ago

The problem isn't a lack of funds in the budget, the problem is the way the schedule works for the State of Kansas.

Since the state took over primary responsibility for K-12 school finance in 1992, this cash management tool has been common practice, mainly to get through this time of year.

Because of scheduling, the state's biggest expenditure months don't line up with the biggest revenue months. For one, the largest K-12 payment comes right at the start of a fiscal year.

And second, refunds are typically paid out in February and March while underpayments aren't collected until April and on until June.

Search this site for certificates of indebtedness. It was obvious in December the state would run out of money in mid February. The GOP chose to ignore that and try to wait it out.

This is a simple cash management tool. Unfortunately, the GOP leaders would rather play a game of chicken with tax refunds, medicaid payments, and state employee pay. It is embarrassing for them and embarrassing for the state.

Mixolydian 5 years, 10 months ago

OK. No one has addressed what's actually behind the republicans stunt yet, so I will....

They don't want a line item veto of the education cuts. There aren't enough votes for an override, and a clearly flawed legal argument as to not being able to issue the certificates until SB 23 is signed is their only bargaining chip.

That's it.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

mdfraz (Anonymous) says… 'Sigmund, obviously you know all about who I am and what I do, so I guess I won't argue with you; you clearly know better than me."

No please tell us your expertize that the State of Kansas pays you a few pennies less than the private sector would but that out of the goodness of your heart you willingly sacrifice you and your families financial future to remain a pure altruistic state of Kansas employee. Just tell us what your doctorate is in so when we don't get our tax refunds back we can feel good about it.

But if you really want to help your fellow Kansans then join the private sector and make a few more bucks so you can pay more in taxes so the State of Kansas can afford to pay tax refunds and salaries. By not earning what your capable of you are cheating the entire State of Kansas.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 10 months ago

And they wonder why new business stays away from Kansas?

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

What is embarassing for Kansas is having a Gov. who wont sign a budget that fits within our means. Hopefully this will shock her into being reasonable. It is Kathy's fault as much as the Republicans.

tunahelper 5 years, 10 months ago

email the republican bastards at:

mike.oneal@house.ks.govp>mike.oneal@house.ks.gov> steve.morris@house.ks.govp>steve.morris@house.ks.gov>

BTW, the legislators will be paid separate from the rest of the state employees. what a bunch of freakin bastards!

christie 5 years, 10 months ago

Thanks to the last 8 years of 'W' the entire country is hurting pretty bad. Every state in the Union is in trouble.

Say bye bye.

workhard 5 years, 10 months ago

The United States is a land mass devided by imaginary lines that designates States. You people are missing the big picture. The united States buys its oil from the Arabs,our clothes from the Chineese, Its vehicles from Japan, on and on and on. What are we selling to all these countries we're buying from? and why are we sending what little we do make here to other countries to be assembled there instead of creating jobs here doing that? With all the money going out and very little coming in our States are going to fall one at a time, starting with the poorest and most challenged ones first. With all the blood going out and none comming in, the body will die one limb at a time. Think about it.

Thinking_Out_Loud 5 years, 10 months ago

If my employer didn't make its payroll, I'd be outta here. I wonder if the state employees will do the same?

notajayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

christie (Anonymous) says…

"The Republicans will hold the South and 1 or 2 midwestern states like KanzAzz but for the most part they are all done."

"In time, when this plays out in favor of Obama, the republicans will be a thing of the past."

Well, that wouldn't surprise me.

After all, reading these comments, it's obvious there's no shortage of people who are too f'ing stupid to understand the issue so they just blame Republicans.

geekyhost 5 years, 10 months ago

Interesting that this quote from Sebelius didn't make it in:

The problem is, due to the slow action by the legislature, the bill has not been delivered to my desk, so I have nothing to sign.

Furthermore, because this bill deals with hundreds of millions of dollars affecting almost every Kansan - once it is delivered - it would be prudent for me to review it thoroughly with my staff to make sure there are no errors in the text of the bill, as there have been in the past.

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

"What DOES make me mad are those of us who pay our taxes working jobs year round, have extra taken out to pay and still have to pay while people sitting at home on their behinds not working (and are quite capable) get money back. H*ll we have already given free money to them all year, why do they deserve any at the end of the year? What? Just because they worked 3 or 4 months (and maybe not all consecutive but just enough to go off State assistance to go back on again)???"

Blame the employers out there who don't hire. I know a girl with a kid who's been looking for work for most of the year, she's always out checking the classifieds and putting in apps. She's only had one call back during that time frame.

Her's is not an isolated case.

Quigly 5 years, 10 months ago

I think I am not only going to forget to pay my ranch hands but I am not going to feed this god forsaken state. We all should be ashamed for letting this happen. This whole state is a joke and we all are at fault. EVERYONE!!! Sits on their lazy butts and blahblahblah and cry cry cry. Keep it up Gov Sucubus. Keep it up State of Kansas. Just keep on pushing people till their backs break. I think I am going to go into debt and buy a 10 dollar chicken from the Merc and cry in my gravy. Better yet why don't we get every truck and every tractor and block off every road into the capital and see what happens. OH WAIT This state doesn't know how to protest. All they can do is cry on this stupid poster. GET OFF YOUR LAZY TUSHES AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT. WIMPS! I have lived my whole life loving this state through the good times and the bad times. But this is sickening. Why this goes on everyone will sit around and cry and go to the coffee shop and talk talk talk. Stop being cowards and do something about. I will not pay another cent to the idiots who have been stealing and lying to me for so many years. I will stop selling my product in Topeka, Lawrence or any other town in this god forsaken countryside. Love it or leave it? FINE There are still a few places left that respect their community and the people that live in. Good goin Kansas you have lost another rancher/farmer. But thats ok you still have Mcd's and BK. Go stuff your faces with a whopper. JERKS. This has gone on way too long. I hope every one is happy for the people they voted for. Socialism? Kind of feels like what Hitler did in his early stages. SEE YA IDIOTS!!!!!!! DON"T WANT TO BE YA!!!!!. Maybe a latte will make you forget that this state is falling apart. DO SOMETHING ABOUT OR THEY WILL BRING EVERYONE DOWN RICH OR POOR. Oh I take that back DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR THE RICH WILL BRING DOWN THE POOR!!!!! Makes me want to go puke on the steps of the Capital building. Puke up my 10 dollar chicken and gravy that is salty from my tears.

5 years, 10 months ago

the threat of this happening has been very likely. the authority cuts they want are tied to KDHE and the bs on coal plants. Republicans are simply driving the well being of our state to the ground.

lovenhaight 5 years, 10 months ago

You know its a bad situation when its on PerezHilton.com...under the banner "The State of Kansas is Effed".

workinghard 5 years, 10 months ago

workhard--Seems I have an almost twin, hopefully people won't get us confused,

ksdivakat 5 years, 10 months ago

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the Gov a democrap? and not a republican? Humm interesting that people are blaming the republicans, solely for this mess! Wake up sheeple, before you know it this whole country will be in the ground, and you cant cry its the republicans fault or the democrapts fault, we are all at fault for not doing something about it.

jaycat 5 years, 10 months ago

Find your legislator and call or email them. Go here to find them. http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/vote/

notajayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

jaycat (Anonymous) says…

"Find your legislator and call or email them."

I completely agree.

Call them and tell them to stand their ground until the governor gets her thumb out, stops grandstanding, and fixes the problem by signing the cuts.

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

I wonder why any state employee would go to work today? 41,000 volunteers showing up in solidarity for Governor (I won't cut the budget even if we don't have the money) Sebelius.

TruthSayer 5 years, 10 months ago

"Baa Baa Baa" said the sheep as they were being fleeced. "Baa Baa Baa said the sheep as they were led to slaughter!!!

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

"Complicating the situation is the protracted process of editing and publishing the bill. It won't reach the governor until late today.

"Due to the slow action by the Legislature, the bill has not been delivered to my desk, and I have nothing to sign," Sebelius said."

Why bother to read it? The President is signing a bill today that neither he nor anyone else has read because it is an "emergency." Isn't this an emergency?

katie_bear 5 years, 10 months ago

if the state is complaing about not having the money then why do you spend it on things that are not really needed. i know here in lawrence at the kdot office in north lawrence they are redoing the bulding. that is just a waste of money i think. the bulding was fine the way it was but the state believes that they have to spend millions of dollars to redo some thing that does not need to be redone.

beawolf 5 years, 10 months ago

"Why bother to read it? The President is signing a bill today that neither he nor anyone else has read because it is an “emergency.” Isn't this an emergency?"

Godot, Your turning into a "Larry the moocher" with your nonsensical comments.

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

all i want is my damned paycheck on friday. period. 'scuse me while i go write to my legislators.

this is the most re-frickin'-diculous thing i've ever heard of.

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

Beowolf, I can't help it that ever since Obama took office, the truth has become stranger than fiction.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm pretty sure the Republican legislature in this state gets a hard-on by cutting funds to education. It is pretty much the only thing they resort to when they need to cut the budget.

It is sickening that they play with people's livelihoods to get their worthless budget passed. How do people think this way?

Centerville 5 years, 10 months ago

Direct result of Sebelius, Morris and Nuss doing the chicken dance for the KNEA. This is NOT her money.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 10 months ago

If you want your tax return or your paycheck, I would recommend you call Mike O'Neal and Steve Morris and demand they stop playing partisan games.

Mike O'Neal 785-296-2302

Steve Morris 785-296-2419

An important note - even if the state had a budget surplus, this cash management move would be necessary. Even if the budget were cut 50%, this cash management move would be necessary.

Don't be fooled by the GOP apologists poisoning the facts with their misguided comments. Call Steve Morris and Mike O'Neal and tell them their irresponsibility needs to stop.

Toll Free Legislative Hotline 1-800-432-3924

Godot 5 years, 10 months ago

I suggest you call Kathleen Sebelius and tell her you do not appreciate her sacrificing your financial security just to protect the KNEA.

Contact the Governor Office of the Governor Capitol, 300 SW 10th Ave., Ste. 212S Topeka, KS 66612-1590

Voice 1-877-KSWORKS (1-877-579-6757) Local 785-296-3232 For the Hearing Impaired 1-800-766-3777

Governor's Office of Constituent Services Toll-Free 1-877-KSWORKS (1-877-579-6757) Local 785-296-6240 Fax 785-368-8788

DMH1983 5 years, 10 months ago

mdfraz, don't even try to reason with Sigmund - he obviously is not going to get it. Let him exist in his own little world and pray that nothing bursts his bubble...then he would have to realize he doesn't know $hit!

It really pi$$es me off that I may not get paid on Friday for two weeks of work I did but the welfare benefits will still go out!

I don't blame the GOP, I blame Gov. Sebelius for dragging her feet on addressing the budget crisis because some of her little pet projects will get cut.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 10 months ago

Wait, I'm confused. Is it the Governor's fault or KNEA's?

DMH - try to remember that even if the state had a budget surplus it would be necessary to issue these certificates.

redmoonrising 5 years, 10 months ago

With the bail outs and the new stimulus, the federal government will be adding $1.5 trillion to the projected $1.6 trillion to the projected budget deficit for the year. Much smaller on the state level but still a deficit. Somehow, a compromise has to be reached to pay state employees. How are these people to live without their paychecks?

At the same time, the gov needs to work diligently to cut the state budget before we end up like the federal governerment. I'm guessing the legislature is telling her to step up to the plate and do her part. Not a smart way to do it but maybe frustration has taken over here. The games have started on both sides to make the other party the bad guy. They're both bad guys.

What I question is how we, as citizens, can expect our government(s) to keep running in perpetuity just running up the deficit? It's going to hurt but they are going to have to learn to cut out a lot of the fat, maybe even some of the lean for a while. And it did say that income tax refunds would be suspended, not cancelled. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't spend mine or anything else, until it's in my hand. We should be grateful that government doesn't have to play by the same rules that we do.

DMH1983 5 years, 10 months ago

Bob- You are right. I understand the certificate issue would be there either way. I believe that had the Gov been willing to compromise with the Senate's budget proposed cuts instead of taking a "my way or the highway" attitude we wouldn't be in this situation. She is stonewalling because she doesn't want to cut school expenditures (inc. the KNEA) at all but wants to butcher any other state-funded agency budget - problem is that schools account for over 50% of State expenditure. Other agencies are not taking that much of the pie in the first place!

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 10 months ago

DMH, the Gov proposed a budget cut package on January 13th.

The Legislature didn't manage to pass it until last Thursday. Even today, the bill has not even been delivered on the Governor. I don't understand how it is the Governor's fault that the Legislature can't get its work done in less than a month.

Who is stonewalling? It has been 34 days since the Governor proposed a budget cutting package and she still doesn't have a bill to sign. And instead of getting that work done, the GOP leaders of the Legislature are playing games with cash management tools.

The budget mess has nothing to do with cash management, and trying to slip it into this argument is just another example of the GOP's irresponsibility on this issue.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

You know there is one good thing to come out of this crisis. It is easy to tell which anonymous posters are on the government lunch bucket and which have overpaid their taxes.

Green_Trees_Brown_Dirt 5 years, 10 months ago

Dear State of Kansas,

If I don't get paid, you don't get work.

Dear Creditors,

If I don't get paid, you don't get paid.

Have a nice day.

Silent_Dave 5 years, 10 months ago

Seriously, Kathleen?

You "don't know where to look," for more money?

NEARLY 5 YEARS AGO, I personally contacted The Kansas Department of Revenue, The Kansas Attorney General, The Kansas Governor, Our State Representatives, Our Congressman, Each and every TV & newspaper outlet in Lawrence, Kansas City & Topeka, to tell EVERYONE what my father is (STILL) doing!

(fraudulently claiming a non-existent business that does not exist to get Sales Tax Exempt status on all goods & services - I discovered on my own the KS Dept of Revenue has ZERO - absolutely NO - Point-of-Sale data collection tracking software, hardware, no employees assigned to any unit - and no plans to incorporate one!

Sales Tax Exemptions are STILL 100% totally old-timey, pioneer days, "Honor System," good ol' boy, self-reporting!)

But apparently, either nobody CARED....

or it was "too difficult" for anyone to UNDERSTAND...

I told everyone if my father is doing it, there's likely 100,000 OTHERS doing it, TOO!

I provided MORE THAN 50 dated merchant RECEIPTS, as evidence!

How very CONVENIENT, for the State of KS Dept of Revenue to just simply sit back on their haunches doing NOTHING at ALL, making everyone's EMPLOYERS responsible for STEALING from everyone's paychecks!

I guess it's time to open up that fake "Mac's Garage."

Let's roll.

Betty Bartholomew 5 years, 10 months ago

I really hope everybody remembers this little stunt next election cycle. I think there are very few lawmakers up there that will deserve to keep their seats. Both sides are at fault and it seems nobody is co-operating to try and fix it. But even though they share the blame, can you really be all that surprised that the majority of the anger right now is pointed at the people that played the let's-suspend-paychecks card?

Next election cycle, I'm voting for the people that aren't incumbent.

xfactor 5 years, 10 months ago

I had my taxes done this weekend and I owe the state $351.00. If the state suspends paying Kansans their state income tax refund checks due to the economy, I wonder if I can suspend paying them the $351.00 I owe them since I am effected by the economy?

geekyhost 5 years, 10 months ago

It's interesting to find people who have never actually examined the budget blaming welfare recipients for all the money loss. I mean, it's a convenient straw man and everything, but the truth is we spend most of our money (over 60%) on education, as we should. Cutting higher ed right now is stupid. It means you cut jobs right when enrollment will go up. It doesn't service Kansans.

We spend 11% on SRS, and that includes more than just "welfare." That includes social workers and programs to keep kids from being abused, assistive technology for the disabled, group homes and programs for adults with developmental disabilities, vocational rehabilitation to get people without jobs back into the workforce, and more. The actual budget for welfare checks is a teeny portion of that. Cutting it out may seem emotionally satisfying but it will neither solve the state budget problems nor magically turn lazy bums into happily employed taxpayers.

It's easy to stand on a high horse and declare welfare recipients to be deadbeat drags on society, but when you're looking at a @#$#@ depression, you might want to take a good look at your own job and not assume you won't ever be glad there is some sort of safety net. Just sayin'.

sunflour 5 years, 10 months ago

You know, logrithmic, it is about the fairness of it -- if state employees don't get paid, neither should anyone else.

DMH1983 5 years, 10 months ago

Logrithmic- I am aware that my salary is paid by taxes because I pay those taxes, too. My point is exactly as sunflour states - if I don't get paid for work I did for the State than benefits should not be paid to those that did not work for it.

sunflour 5 years, 10 months ago

lawrenceguy40, my state job is a real job -- I work very hard to keep a valuable service running.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

logrithmic (Anonymous) says… "This is funny. Someone who live off tax dollars complaining about others who live off tax dollars. Absolutely hilarious!"

Actually one supposedly works for their state paycheck while the other is state sponsored charity handout. The only irony here is that you don't see a difference between state workers and welfare recipients.

weluvbowling 5 years, 10 months ago

There is a difference between "living off of tax dollars" and "working for tax dollars"...let's get real here! AND not to mention the fact that there are individuals quite able to work collecting more than just welfare...

And, I am NOT on a high horse FYI...I had to get assistance during my hysterectomy due to being a single mother with no insurance BUT I was on assistance for about 2 months and was back to work. This was 13 years ago...

And NO, welfare is not the main or only reason and nor did I say that but it does contribute...rolls eyes some people! What happened to these forums being for "opinons"?!

Green_Trees_Brown_Dirt 5 years, 10 months ago

Silent_Dave,

No one is paying attention perhaps because you're striking the nerve too deep. Why don't you try coming up with something nice and glossy, all superficial like, which sounds only partly bad but really doesn't matter in the long run? Thanks.

bevy 5 years, 10 months ago

For those of you who claim that state employees are overpaid and underworked, perhaps these facts will clear your vision:

Statewide, turnover is an avoidable cost that is harming the state. State employees are leaving their positions due to an overwhelming work load, insufficient benefits, and embarrassingly low wages. Information from national independent organizations and the US Department of Labor reveal a poignant portrait of the current condition of state employees in Kansas:

Employee benefits per dollar of salary are the worst in the nation - Pew Center

The state's workforce is in pretty dire shape, thanks to an inconsistent pay system that can't compete in the labor market – Pew Center

Kansas ranks 40th in the nation for pay – US Bureau of Labor Statistics

The total average compensation is well below the national average - Pew Center

One in three state employees are more than 25% below the market – The Hay Group This info comes from here: http://www.wibw.com/localnews/headlines/39680372.html

I'm a state employee, I work hard every day (and before you ask, I'm on a break right now!) and I expect to be paid for my work.

Strange as it may seem, many of us do the work we do, making less money than we could in the private sector, because we are passionate about serving the citizens of this state. We make sure your kids are educated, streets are safe, criminals remain incarcerated, highways are driveable, and hundreds of other things you take for granted every day. Though in reading some of these comments and seeing how many of you feel about our dedication and work - maybe we won't be so passionate about doing it anymore.

Bottom line - we did the work, we should get the pay.

sunflour 5 years, 10 months ago

logrithmic, KU employees are paid with the same paychecks as all other state employees, so I expect that if some don't get paid, neither will the rest of us.

frodo 5 years, 10 months ago

who voted them in there anyway? lets give them a call!

House Speaker Mike O’Neal 785-296-2302 Email: mike.oneal@house.ks.gov

Senate President Stephen Morris 785-296-2419 Email: Steve.Morris@senate.ks.gov

geekyhost 5 years, 10 months ago

@logrithmic Um, hello, state employee jobs ARE in jeopardy. Do the words "budget cuts" ring any bells?

If the budget is railroaded through as written, there will likely be big cuts at KU and other higher ed institutions, which means job losses, and if the budget isn't railroaded through everyone gets to wait to get paid. Catch 22.

Angela Heili 5 years, 10 months ago

Breaking Borrowing Law:

The Kansas Finance Council, which is made up of Sebelius and six state GOP leaders, is refusing to approve the Democratic Governor’s $225,000,000.00 borrowing plan because state law requires all such debts, called certificates of indebtedness, to be retired by the end of the fiscal year in which they were issued. Kansas’ fiscal year ends June 30, and the state has already taken out $550,000,000.00 in certificates that it likely won’t be able to repay. Approving the additional amount requested by Sebelius would push that debt total over three-quarters of a billion dollars with 4 1/2 months remaining to somehow find the money to pay it off within the timeframe required by law.

“We cannot issue more certificates if the funds will not materialize by the end of the year,” said House Speaker Mike O’Neal (R) in a press release. “Without the revised 2009 budget bill, there is no way that we can legally issue a certificate knowing full well that the money will not be available to retire the debt.”

reference:

Doesn't matter what political group you are from, if there is a state law, there is a state law.

geekyhost 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and the private sector is looking at wage freezes and salary reductions, too. Or outright job losses.

This us vs them mentality on state vs private sector employees is really stupid. As is the flip idea that switching jobs is easy for anyone right now.

bevy 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey logrithmic

If all the state employees move to the private sector as you so blithely suggest - who's gonna do the work that we do? Are you going to sign up to patrol I-70 west of Salina?

temperance 5 years, 10 months ago

Lawrenceguy40: "What is the difference between a state employee and someone on welfare? They both leech off of the rest of us. . . . Miss a few pay periods and you'd expect some state employees to look for real jobs."

Agreed. There are far too many people with "fake jobs" in this state, like law enforcement, sanitation workers, highway patrol, and public educators. When the firefighters come to save his house, I know LawrenceGuy40 is manly enough to turn them away and fight the fire on his own. Gosh, a state needs to employ people? Sounds like the Soviet Union.

Seriously, LawrenceGuy, yours was the dumbest post I've read here in a long time. Thanks for the comedy.

Now get back to homeschooling your kids (I assume you wouldn't be so hypocritical as to not home school your kids given your dim view of state employees).

mdfraz 5 years, 10 months ago

It's people like you, Sigfried, who don't help to solve anything, you just whine and complain when things go wrong. You are a self righteous, pompous a**.

I'm not going to explain myself, my education, or my current job to you, because you have no right to know, but trust me, my degree is a doctorate level, and it's in a well respected field. But, I'm sure that won't matter to you since EVERYONE who works for the state is the same person, whether they are welfare workers, cops, lawyers, maintenance men, teachers, or whatever. Everyone is the same. Makes it easier for you that way doesn't it?

If the govt. is to run like a business, then balance the state budget. Don't pretend it's a business to get job and pay cuts through and then end up in the red. If the state wants/needs to lay off people like the private sector, fine. That would be hard on a lot of people, but times are tough. My point is, I worked the past two weeks for my paycheck, and even if they fired me today, they owe me that. Same with my tax refund. It's MY money. Not the state's. I have no problem playing by the rules regarding taxes but if the state won't/can't, why should anyone else? The idea is that govt. works FOR the people (something about that in a famous speech I think), and if they fail the people, time to start over.

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

In my opinion. If they (the legislature) are going to cash their checks while holding the state employee's check's hostage.

Then it's up to all the state employees to remember what they did, and make sure when these people come up for re-election to make sure that they don't get re-elected.

Pay back pure and simple.

notajayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

logicsound04 (Anonymous) says…

"We also have a surplus of people who similarly lack understanding and just shout about how Sebelius is to blame….like yourself."

"I'm sure both sides are culpable in us being in the current situation. However, it is Republicans that are currently refusing to take the necessary action to get state workers paid for work they have already performed."

Um, right. Let's see - the impasse is because Kathy hasn't signed something necessary to balance the state budget. The Republicans are being villified because they won't sign something necessary to further unbalance the state budget. But the Republicans are the ones to blame because why, again? Oh, I remember - she's a Democrat. Why, how even-handed of you, logic (as usual).

bethlang1998 (Anonymous) says…

"I really hope everybody remembers this little stunt next election cycle."

I'll remember, but it won't make much of a difference. Sebelius can't run again anyway, so I can't vote against her.

spankyandcranky 5 years, 10 months ago

What a bunch of big babies we have in office. How about instead of throwing temper-tantrums, they start acting like adults and work together for a compromised solution. Please! Seriously.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 10 months ago

To anyone just scrolling to the bottom:

Bob Keeshan, geekyhost, & logrithmic make the best points.

I love the "gimme gimme gimme" words of greedy people. Yet they ridicule people who have it much harder than them. Oh my! Not social responsibility! Screw everyone else!