Archive for Friday, October 10, 2008

Obama continues lavish spending with 30-minute ad

October 10, 2008

— Already advertising at record levels, Barack Obama has scheduled a half-hour commercial for prime time on Oct. 29, the anniversary of Black Tuesday in 1929 and six days before Election Day.

Obama campaign officials said the campaign had secured a 30-minute block of time at 7 p.m. on CBS and NBC. CBS already was juggling its lineup to accommodate the Democratic presidential candidate, moving back an episode of "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

Such a vast purchase of commercial time is a multimillion-dollar expense, but Obama has been spending dramatically on ads, overshadowing rival John McCain and the Republican National Committee.

Short political spots have been the traditional way for politicians to communicate with voters. But a prime-time, sitcom-length commercial would provide Obama an opportunity to make a closing argument to the entire country.

"It's a luxury to be able to afford that kind of communication," said Tad Devine, a Democratic media consultant who was a senior adviser to John Kerry's 2004 presidential campaign.

That Obama has the ability to buy such a huge block of prime time is a testament to his prodigious fundraising. He has not been shy about spending it.

On Monday, for instance, he spent $3.3 million in a single day of TV advertising. At that rate he will spend more than $90 million on ads through Election Day - more than all the money Republican rival John McCain has to spend on his entire fall campaign.

McCain's ad spending Monday totaled about $900,000 and the Republican National Committee weighed in with about $700,000 worth.

All whopping numbers, but the disparity between Obama and the Republicans is so wide that it has allowed Obama to spend in more states than McCain, to appear more frequently in key markets and to diversify his message by both attacking McCain and promoting his own personal story.

"Money doesn't always mean victory, but it means that you have more options to cover more of the battlefield," Republican strategist Terry Holt said. "We're going to have to win with less."

Comments

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 11 months ago

Satirical,Did George Soros contribute to the McCain-Feingold legislation as the link I provided earlier suggests? Why would he do that?http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/30556.html

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Foreign socialists flock to the O'dude's cause."Young Dutch Socialists To Campaign for Barack ObamaNETHERLANDS - I'm not actively involved in any political organization in the Netherlands, although I am a registered member of several of them. One such organization is the JOVD (the youth organization for Dutch conservatives). Another one is the VVD itself, which is this country's traditional conservative party.Besides those organizations, I'm also a member of the Jonge Socialisten, or Young Socialists. The reason for my membership was that I was politically ambitious (as in wanting to write about it, thinking about it often, etc.) several years ago, one of my friends was a board member for the JS in Groningen and asked me whether I wanted to sign up. I remain a member nowadays because I am interested in knowing what my political opponents think and do. Additionally, I actually believe in the importance of debate. Sadly I am too busy to debate with these individuals, so I mostly ignore their e-mails and alerts.Recently, however, I received an e-mail I found quite interesting. The Jonge Socialisten asked me whether I would like to travel to America with them shortly before the U.S. elections in order to do 'research' and campaign for Barack Obama.Now, before readers will think this would be a great opportunity for me to visit the country I write about so frequently, the trip had a specific partisan purpose despite it being described as 'research': They would travel to the United States to campaign for Barack Obama, the Democratic nominee for the presidency, as they made clear in the e-mail itself. They also mentioned in the mailing that Pennsylvania - the state they would go to - is a key battleground state, which is why they chose to go there. The name of the trip, by the way, is "JS We Can!"On the website they changed the wording a bit, but they demand that of potential applicants have a "great affinity with the Democratic Party and Barack Obama." You cannot campaign for someone you don't support, of course....Perhaps these 'Jong Socialisten' should stop trying to influence the elections in other countries and, instead, do their best to fix the problems they created in this one."http://poligazette.com/2008/10/10/young-dutch-socialists-to-campaign-for-barack-obama/

meggers 5 years, 11 months ago

"You can say what you want about McCain, but he worked to pass McCain-Feingold to limit the influence of money in elections."And you can say what you want about Obama, but he worked to pass the ethics reform package that requires legislators to disclose bundled campaign contributions, to disclose earmarks, and places restrictions on gifts. Incidentally, this is same transparency Sarah Palin promised to bring to Washington. If she read more, she might have realized that what she was proposing had already been done- by Senator Obama.

meggers 5 years, 11 months ago

Of course money is a major player in any election. We libs aren't as naive as you seem to think, Satirical. I've donated several times to the Obama campaign and as long as he continues spending his contributions wisely, I will continue to donate.The republicans are typically the big money people and now they're realizing that all of the PAC money in the world won't be enough to buy this election for McCain. In other words, you're being beaten by your own game- and largely by people on the ground, rather than by PAC's and corporate lobbyists. McCain is circling the drain and there's panic in the air. Yee-haw!

Satirical 5 years, 11 months ago

Ahmed...Are you being facetious or do you have a point to make? If you have a point, please make it because I don't follow.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 11 months ago

Satirical (Anonymous) says: It is amazing how little media attention is given to the fact Obama has three times as much money as McCain.Money will decide this election, it almost always does. I feel pity to the libs who think otherwise.Of course, money will decide the election, it almost always does. Is that what happened the last two presidential elections then? Like beobachter, I've donated a small amount to Obama's campaign. Many people who've never made a political contribution in their lives are doing so this election to ensure we don't have another 8 years like the last 8. It's hard for millions of lower and middle class citizens to make donations unless they feel inspired by a campaign. I don't expect anything in return except a change in direction of our country. I'm sure glad McCain has never stooped to taking money from Soros. Oh, wait.......he has taken money from Soros.http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/30556.html

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 11 months ago

Obama continues lavish spending with 30-minute ad-Here's another example of the left-leaning media, eh? I'm sure there was no derogatory intent in the headline to use the word "lavish". Doesn't sound judgmental at all, eh? $700 billion bailout, not lavish. 30 minute ad, lavish. Okay, I get it. Obama taking money from Soros, bad. McCain taking money from Soros, good. Hmmmm??

S0uPnAzi 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, ask Nobama where he gets the money...I'd be particularly interested in where the money that comes from overseas is actually from...(hint) Libya, Iran, Sudan are a few of the countries...doesn't it just make you go, hmmmm?

Satirical 5 years, 11 months ago

Alia Ahmed:"Of course, money will decide the election, it almost always does. Is that what happened the last two presidential elections then?"Answer: Yes.Your argument that all of Obama's money comes from small donors is naÃive. You also ignore all the influence his large donors get if Obama is elected (I guess Obama supports special interests after all). Lastly, you ignore the fact Obama agreed to public funding and praised it on more than one occasion to prevent money influencing elections, but surprise surprise, he flip-flopped when he discovered the money would be influencing him and not someone else.Obama - another politician for sale.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 11 months ago

Satirical,I didn't mean to imply that Obama has raised all of his money from small contributions like mine and I know he's received big donations from Move.on and other organizations. I agreed with you the money definitely influences how much presence a candidate has on TV, radio, the internet and local campaign offices. It appeared that you think it is alright when the money benefits your candidate, but not when it is benefitting someone you oppose.

Satirical 5 years, 11 months ago

Ahmed:"It appeared that you think it is alright when the money benefits your candidate, but not when it is benefitting someone you oppose."While I may be somewhat partisan I am not naÃive. However there are two important difference:(1) The media referenced Bush's fundraising efforts far more often than they do for Obama. In fact almost everytime they talked about Bush they referenced this monetary advantage (implying he was buying the presidency) but for some reason you the media rarely reminds the public about this fact when it applies to Obama.(2) Bush accepted public funding for the election, and most of his money during the general campaign went to PACs or the Republican general fund. Obama refused public funding, so he can raise (and have to pay back through political kickbacks like he did in Illinois) far more.You can say what you want about McCain, but he worked to pass McCain-Feingold to limit the influence of money in elections.

Satirical 5 years, 11 months ago

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 11 months ago

Satirical,Although I'm often facetious, I wasn't trying to be in this particular case. I just wondered why Soros would support the McCain-Feingold legislation when he is such a big contributor himself. Reading further down in the link I shared, I think the question is answered.