Archive for Friday, May 23, 2008

Transformers blow; power outages reported

May 23, 2008, 9:41 p.m. Updated May 23, 2008, 11:00 p.m.

The number of Westar Energy customers without power has been fallen to about 100, according to their Web site. At about 9 p.m. 1,735 Westar customers were without power.

Lawrence police say at least two transformers blew on 11th street between Kentucky and Massachussetts streets.

Comments

Fort_Aubrey 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks to all the dudes who work to keep those transformer things working for us.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Is it "Transformers Blow," or "Transformers Suck?"

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

If I were God, I would not be cooking catfish!when jesus walked the earth, he did cook fish. everybody should have batteries for emergencies.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Tonight as it got dark, my cat kept sticking his head around in front of the monitor, something he doesn't normally do. I finally figured out that I hadn't turned any lights on, and in front of the screen was the only light place in the house.poor cat!

igby 5 years, 11 months ago

Actually, the computer screen did a nice job lighting up the room since the three candles that I own were placed in different rooms.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

batteries don't do much for me, I need a partner.If I were a god, I'd have other gods to partner with."I'm a b---, I'm a tease,I'm a goddess on my knees"Oh, that's not what you meant!;)

igby 5 years, 11 months ago

Multi: Got batteries!If I were God, I would not be cooking catfish!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

oh, should add,Merrill is in favor of power outages!he has posted that he likes them because the enforce energy conservation! ... yeah, really.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

if jonas were here, he say sushi.They could also put it in a lye soak...make some lutefisk!No, I don't have boxes of lye in my cupboard. Come to think, I've never seen it for sale. Lye soap yes..for food? No.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

multi, yes, try to keep a "weather eye" look elsewhere while looking back. *** igby,battery-powered cable modem?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Igby:build a fire? fire up the bbq? dig a hole in the ground, put fish in foil w/lemon, cover with foil. cover with little dirt. build fire over fish. done. go out to eat?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

My thought was, of course, these people won't be able to see this..but now I see igby lost power but has computer/internet access.Igby..are you a god?-------gnome, one bad thing about writing and researching something in a thread, is that once I get back to a new page, the breaking news is "old news" then!Do you have the same problem now in N. Lawrence, that we had back in the early 80s?If it rained, our power went out. At least it seemed that easy. For sure, any storm would knock us out. It was so bad, I bought oil lamps with reflectors that hung on the walls, maybe 5 or 6, so that the house could be lit within minutes without digging.Of course, back then, we also had no sewer system, so we could be entertained by the rising water coming from the street ditch up into our yard.My inlaws came one time from Liberal. If hardly ever rains there.My mother in law watched the water getting closer and closer, she was really nervous about it.We said, even in days of torrential rains, it doesn't get past the iris bed!We had the big flood of what was is..82? That was fun.We all had to go get tetanus shots from being in the flood water.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

didn't receive a "breaking news" e-mail, as shown at the top of this story. ***Kentucky and Massachussetts streets.okay.

igby 5 years, 11 months ago

Yep! just as I was frying up a mess of catfish. At lease the first batch was done. Then Boom, boom, flicker about three times and out she went. Makes me miss my old gas range.