Archive for Thursday, June 19, 2008

Muslim woman demands apology from Obama

June 19, 2008

— One of two Muslim women who were denied visible seats behind Barack Obama's stage at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit on Monday because they wore head scarves said they deserve a personal apology from Obama and close-up seats at a future campaign rally.

Hebba Aref, 25, and her friend, Shimaa Abdelfadeel, received apologies from the campaign Tuesday after they complained that they were not allowed to sit near the podium when campaign volunteers learned that they wear the traditional Muslim head garb called a hijab.

Aref said she was disappointed because she was attracted to Obama's message of unity and inclusion. She said she'd like more than an apologetic phone call from a campaign official.

"I was kind of in shock that had happened," said Aref, a Bloomfield Hills, Mich., resident and graduate of the University of Michigan Law School. "I've lived here practically my whole life, and never been treated that way. It's so ironic that it was at his rally; he obviously would not promote any discrimination at all."

Comments

Calliope877 6 years, 10 months ago

Do you think McCain would want to be photographed with these women?

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 10 months ago

See this is the other thing that bothers me. All the Muslims, Africans, and Islamics applaud him. Why? Just because he happens to be HALF black, and studied in a Muslim school? We shouldn't applaud people just because they have a similarity to us. It doesn't make him more fit for presidency, it doesn't make him a better person, it just makes him a human being with life experiences. That's just what we don't need is a whole bunch of people running out to vote based solely on skin color or educational background.

yeah_right 6 years, 10 months ago

Isn't this what you call a "Catch-22", Dmned if you do, dmned if you don't.

BigDog 6 years, 10 months ago

Of course bozo ..... afterall it is a vast right wing conspiracy against him. Has Obama not learned anything from the Clinton's? It was probably some McCain supporters that planted them there for campaign photos to be used later.Darn those crafty Obama staff for getting them moved before the photos could be taken.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

This was definitely a mistake by his organizers, but you can bet that if these women had been seated so that their picture and Obama's could have been taken together, Republican jihadists would have had it on utube, Faux News and the blogosphere for the remainder of the campaign as "proof" that he's a member of al Qaeda.

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

The "terrorist fist jab" is the way the fired anchor at Fox News described the fist bump utilized by Sen./Ms. Obama at the rally in Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. The description is so ludicrous it's easy to see why she got the axe-even from Fox.

BrianR 6 years, 10 months ago

WOW! Are these women RNC plants or what?It doesn't sound like a religious issue at all, more like a political dirty trick.

fu7il3 6 years, 10 months ago

I was sort of thinking along the lines of none2, just not to that extreme. I have to wonder if these ladies were wanting to make a political statement. Otherwise, why the apology AND seats up close at a future campain? If they have been so offended by the campain, why would they want to support it at another stop? That doesn't make any sense.

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 10 months ago

And ksdiva, you're absolutely right. Too many people feel this way about them, and yes, there is nothing that little ol' me is going to do to change that. I just have never understood the pure ignorance in disliking or being afriad of a group of people for no particular reason. I grew up in KCK, went through the whole Catholic school system from K-12, grew up about a block from where my dad grew up...typical Catholic KCK community. I moved to Lawrence after graduation and the first group of friends I made here included a couple Muslim boys. I had never met a Muslim before, and this was 2003, so still relatively fresh after 9/11. It never crossed my mind that they were terrorists, or that they were evil, or wanted to kill themselves in the name of Allah. It just doesn't make sense to me to group an entire race, religion, sex, etc., and assume they are all the same as the next one. If that were true, every black would be a gun-toting, crack-smoking gangster, every Mexican would have a mini-van, 16 kids, and a job roofing houses, and every white would have 2.2 kids, a white picket fence, and a designer lawn chair to sit in while their kids play soccer. We all need to open our eyes.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

I see the usual suspects are here "completing" my post with the strawmen they'd prefer I had posted.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years, 10 months ago

jaycee says:"They come over here and want us to give up our loving God for their hatefilled Allah that wants all infidels dead." Which God do you speak of? The God of Abraham? Yeah....same God....different prophets. Do your homework before you spew your hateful, woefully incorrect remarks..

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 10 months ago

How was my first post a violation of user agreements?! I didn't curse, I didn't....oh wait, is it because I called someone an idiot? Come on...

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

Consider yourselves lucky, ladies. McCain would've had you thrown in jail for showing up at his site.

tunahelper 6 years, 10 months ago

what a bunch of whiney women! get a life!

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 10 months ago

What I meant was if we believed in ourselves and were confident in ourselves and our actions, if we found it within ourselves to decipher right from wrong, then we wouldn't all be scrambling to find the perfect religion to tell us what we can and can't do. I'm not saying people who believe in God, Allah, religion, whatever are wrong. They are no more wrong than someone who doesn't believe in anything. All I am saying is that when it really really comes down to it, none of us can prove or disprove exsistence of any God. So instead of relying on blind faith, something we don't even really know is there, we should rely on ourselves. We know we are real, and what we do, say and think are what is going to affect our life and others' lives on Earth, and that's more important in my book than my life six feet in the dirt. Sorry to call your God a myth. :)

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 10 months ago

Republican jihadists would have had it on utube, Faux News and the blogosphere for the remainder of the campaign as "proof" that he's a member of al Qaeda.=========Republicans have nothing to do with this story. Team Obama created this problem on their own.

StirrrThePot 6 years, 10 months ago

"Why does the world have to always apologize to the muslims? It should be the other way around. They come over here and want us to give up our loving God for their hatefilled Allah that wants all infidels dead. If we would be stupid enough to go to their country, then they can make the rules, until then, if you don"t like it here, go back to where you came from."While I feel bad that America Muslims get lumped into the same group as the evil terrorists who carry out "Allah's work" on a daily basis, I have to say that these days I am feeling more and more of the same sentiment quoted above.Obama can say he's sorry if he wants. I don't think he should do one thing or another. It was his campaign group, not him, who is responsible for this, and they have already made the appropraite statement. But because we are a country who lays down for every little thing a minority group complains about, this will be in the news until Election Day.I am all for diversity, but I am getting sick and tired of this American mentality that "We are open minded and you'd better be as open minded as we are or else". It is going to bite us in the butt, and has already started to do just that.

Mike Blur 6 years, 10 months ago

I spent about 30 seconds skimming this comment forum...God, check. Allah, check. Liberal media, check. Faux News, check. Blah blah blah....As long as all you cross-huggers and jihadists leave my deity Ceiling Cat alone, it's all good, and I'll vote as I please.http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Genesis_1

maxcrabb 6 years, 10 months ago

What would Jesus do?...not run for office!Have a GREAT day!

ksdivakat 6 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkerincali ......You make good points and something to think about, however, you also have to try and understand the thought process of ALOT of Americans, because I believe its the majority who feels like jaycee and not the minority and let me tell you why I think this.Not to long ago on 20/20 or one of those shows, (and you may have seen it) but they did a little experiment where a muslim woman (young) walked into a coffee shop to order coffee and was refused service by the manager because of her nationality. Now the woman and the manager were "in" on this but the customers were not, and this manager got down and was crude, saying things like go back to where you came from, Im not going to serve people like you...etc, etc....things that "most" people would like to think they would be appalled to hear, however, the customers were not appalled. In fact out of 42 customers that this happened in front of only 3 said something to the manager about his behavior.When the cameras went out into the parking lot as the people came out, and asked them why they didnt defend this woman, the answer was almost unanimious, because they felt the same way.Now Im not saying its right, and Im also not saying that this is the way I feel, but what I am saying is that more american sfeel this way than care to admit it.First of all, we know based on intelligence that there are "sleeper" cells in this country that are just waiting for word to do whatever it is they plan to do. Our Government has made a great case for fearmonging and now that its here, its not going ot go away by calling people stupid, idiots or bigots, we need to talk about it, we need to be able to say why we are so afraid of muslims, alot of times when I speak out loud a thought, I realize how silly that thought is, but people are either afraid to say, or they are the opposite and ramble on.We need to address the muslim thing in this country, but you cannot make someone not be afraid of them just because you say so......and I agree, these ladies need no formal apology from obama, unless they were actually going to meet him and talk with him, they deserve no special rights just because they are muslim, if his campaign apologized, then thats good enough. All this of course is just JMHO.....

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

screed poster, I'd say the jury is still out on the former. At the end of the day it may be a matter of how history defines "lost". As for Murtha, his comments are by virtue of the reductions/dropped charges, at least somewhat inaccurate. We're still awaiting the outcome of SSgt. Wuterich's fate. Considering the timing and the initial high level of concern regarding whether the deaths at Haditha were in fact crimes (and pending the outcome of Wuterich's trial), I'd say Murtha's comments were more appropo than anything stated by either Hill or Trotta. I mean come on, terrorist fist jab? That statement is so nonsensical even Fox couldn't abide by it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

"it's a 'non issue' for bozo"Read my post again, bowhunter.Could please limit yourself to posting your own opinions? Don't try to speak for me-- you do a lousy job of it.

StirrrThePot 6 years, 10 months ago

"I've said it before, I'll say it again. Religion is the source of most of the hate and ignorance on this Earth. We're all fighting over some stupid God who supposedly tells us to love everyone. Maybe if we all had a little more faith in ourselves, we wouldn't be so dependant on an invisible 'myth'.Extremists and fundies ruin it for everyone. If we'd all just leave each other alone so we can practice our faiths in private as we see fit (or for some of us, our "no faiths") things would be much better. You know, you can have faith in yourself and at the same time have faith in God, or many gods, or Allah, or whoever. Not sure what you mean by this...and by the way, you must apologize for calling my God a "myth". ;)

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 10 months ago

And yet again, let me backtrack and say I did not read the whole article, so maybe they have valid reasons why they support him, other than what I had previously posted. However, regardless of what the rest of that article says, it doesn't change the fact that it is a real issue, and it will happen (people voting for or against simply because of skin color, going to Muslim school, etc., just like people would have specifically voted for or against Hilary simply because she is a woman).

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

Holy hairball, Mike! I got nothing but much respect for your Ceiling Cat. Just don't ask me to clean the litter box...

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

Let's see the metrics for your hypothesis screedposter. Let's also not forget that 15 of the 24 people killed were non-combatant men, women or children. That's why this was widely referred to as a "massacre" to begin with.All I did was compare the relative merits of the various statements. At this point we don't know exactly where Reid/Murtha's comments fall on the factual continuum. We can, however, state with certaintly that the Obama's hand gestures don't constitute some sort of terrorist sign language, nor does the subject of killing Obama deserve to be either dismissed or treated humorously because Trotta is unable/unwilling to separate him from Osama. And by the way, that's your assumption about priorities, not mine.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

It's all about image with identity politics.

jaycee 6 years, 10 months ago

Why does the world have to always apologize to the muslims? It should be the other way around. They come over here and want us to give up our loving God for their hatefilled Allah that wants all infidels dead. If we would be stupid enough to go to their country, then they can make the rules, until then, IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT HERE, GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM.

BigPrune 6 years, 10 months ago

Do democrats sincerely embrace people of any faith? Sounds like same old, same old to me.

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 10 months ago

And ksdiva, no, sadly, I don't think it will happen either. I've been saying the same thing for years about the whining blacks and their slavery, the whining woman and their feminism (this coming from a woman), everybody loves to play a victim. The more we seperate ourselves into these catagories of "woman" or "man", "black" or "white", "christian" or "muslim", then the hatred and discrimintation will continue. Besides that, people don't want to change, because that would require hard work. And ideas and beliefs that have been passed down for centuries are not going to be replaced with the simplistic attitude of "Love your neighbor like yourself". The answer is simple. Getting there is the problem.

storm 6 years, 10 months ago

Clearly, staff are pandering to the Muslimphobes (of which there are plenty nowadays) to protect Mr. Barrack's reputation.

ksdivakat 6 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkerincali ...I believe the change will come when people start talking about their fears of muslims, just as we have today, if more people could open up and say that they are afraid because of this or that, then it could be worked out, unfortunately, most people will chose not to do this, just as much as most racist people will not talk about race relations. As long as we keep this "victim" mentality about 9-11 and slavery then we will always be an oppressed country, but if we can maintain that the past does not define who we are, but rather it prepares us for the future, then we will go from the "victim" to the "victor" and thats when the race thing will finally have its place in history.Do you believe that will happen? I surely do not, as long as their is man who has free will, and a free mind, there will always be a race issue in this country.Thank God, that at least some of us believe that God made all people and that all people will stand accountable one day for their lives.And jayhawkerincali thank God for you, this country needs people who think like you to balance the negative of other people out!

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

duplenty:Sorry about the delay responding. You inquired: "BTW - you're not suggesting that ED Hill just threw that in there extemporaneously, now are you?"No way. Even if you assume it was spontaneously generated, would that somehow lessen the offensiveness? Now on the other hand, Fox correspondent Liz Trotta's Freudian comment "killing Osama/Obama-both if we could" followed by laughter, (not a direct quote-but the essential content) was, I believe, extemporaneous. At the end of the day, however, I don't know if it makes much difference whether they call it as they see it (despite the inherent inanity) or inadvertently expose their true beliefs. It's at most a difference in degree, not kind, to me.

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

Sweet, didn't ever expect to see Ceiling Cat on this site.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

its the fault of the republicans. that particular poster has a long history of amazingly vacuous posts, but this one sets a record! the republicans must've planted these women? hypnotized the obamanoid volunteers. etc. amazing! screedy you are right, the obamanoids chose political expediency over doing the right thing! these volunteers didn't come up with this on their own, they had directions from above. "we need more white people!" at another rally, one for the loveable Michelle, the most angry millionaire in america. who, hasn't been proud of this country most of her adult life. who has supported that church with tens of thousands of dollars over the years, and had her little daughters under rev. wright's bigoted teaching. she apparently learned "black rage" in her college courses.

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

BigDog, as is the case in most job searches, the perfect candidate seldom exists. We have to determine who makes the best fit and most sense given the essential functions of the position and the choices we are presented. Having said that, I've got a greater degree of certaintly that McCain will perpetuate the status quo than Obama regardless whether their advisers quote Winne the Pooh or Darth Vader. We can only hope that whoever prevails in November addresses our economic, educational, social and energy issues, gets the political parties focused on progress rather than acrimony, partisanship and pork-barrel and works to mend international relations. I know it's a tall order but as Americans we have the know how and resources to do anything. The question as I see it is whether we have the willpower to put aside personal differences and historic bickering for the collective good. I'm dubious, but my optimistic spirit will never say "No". Here's my hand to anyone else willing to extend theirs.

acg 6 years, 10 months ago

They had no choice but to ask those women to move. If that picture had surfaced in the paper the next day, ya'll would've been up in arms about how Obama is a Muslim and he's just trying to gain control of the White House to use it for a base camp for Al Qeida or something equally as ridiculous (like most of what I hear coming from the Fear Everything Party).

Calliope877 6 years, 10 months ago

logicsound04 (Anonymous) says: "4) Finally, I'd like to point out that McCain's campaign commercials are far more obnoxious than anything Obama's done thus far. I've seen 3 so far, and if you believed them, you'd think McCain was a pacifist, tree-hugging hippie."Haha! I'm trying to pic McCain as a hippie...

BigDog 6 years, 10 months ago

logicsound04 (Anonymous) says:Bush is criticized for his shortcomings and utter failures as a president. In other words-things he's done.Obama is criticized for being a Muslim (which he's not), wearing traditional Kenyan dress, things his campaign staffers did, things his wife says, things his pastor says, his sympathy for terrorists, and being a Communist (which he's not). In other words-things other people have done or things he's done that have nothing to do with politics.------------------------------------------------------------Some people don't like Obama because of his proposed policies and his lack of experience; along with the fact that he has no history of doing the things he talks about. History of change and leading change....... no history of legislation proposed by Senator Obama that would make major changes he now talks about.Bi-partisan efforts ...... We know how much this has happened in Washington in the last few years ..... Democrats won't even allow Republican amendments to legislation be debated and voted upon.Health care legislation introduction by Obama?? I don't recall seeing it.New ideas and faces (paraphrase) - so far people who have been talked about for top positions in an Obama administration are re-treads from Clinton administration or long-term Washington insiders. He hasn't lead the effort for change either in Illinois or Washington ...... but now he is if we have faith and vote him as our next President ...... I think we put faith in this current President who had little experience, no foreign policy experience and was going to change the Washington culture...... and surrounded himself with Washington re-treads ..... that has worked out great hasn't it????

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

as usual, boozoonthewrongbusgoingoverthecliff gives an empty and vapid response that doesn't address any facts contained in my post! Your dishonesty (or ignorance- it's one or the other) on this issue is blatant, BG.--the boozonot one jot or tittle is false in what I wrote boozo. not one. these two young women who wore garments of their faith should have had the freedom to do so. you don't address at all the "we need some whites over here!" quotation, or the double standard. if barry h. obama were a white politician, who attended a david duke-approved church, it'd be 'stick a fork in him' two seconds after he hit the national stage! and, let's add to barry h. obama's elitism: he believes we should have* higher gas prices, they just rose faster than he wanted! he opposes all domestic drilling. he backs the wacko greenie-wheenies who have caused the worldwide shortage of oil, major part of high prices. also, greenie-wheenies have prevented new refineries being built in this country for nearly 30 years! barry h. obama thinks its fine for you to pay so much for gas! and he wants to tax you! none of his plans would reduce the price of gas. now, that's elitism for ya'!drill here, drill now, save money!

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

Let's hear it for freedom of religion as long as it's my religion and my God that has the freedom to subordinate the beliefs of others. Oh yeah, and I'm all for concept of separation of church and state, too. No wait, I need more votes so I guess I'll have to pander to the religious right-at least until November 5th...

BigDog 6 years, 10 months ago

Well Bad DogThe current President had little experience and had to rely on long-term Washington insiders and re-treads from past administrations. That is what got us people like Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. It is hard for me to believe anything will change when now you are going to get the past Democratic staffers in the "change" administration.Hell Obama is considering a guy from the Clinton administration for National Security Advisor who quotes Winnie the Pooh. I am feeling more secure by the moment.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

And one thing everyone is missing... Khaddafi apparently referred to Obama as a "Muslim man." What are they going to think when it becomes apparent that he is a christian. Think about it. someone who was born and started education as a muslim, now is a christian.. This is the worst kind of infidel. Islamicists are not going to talk or negotiate with this man. He turned his back on the prophet. He will be viewed in a worse light than Bush. And I do agree with BG. There's just too much smoke here, gotta be some fire somewhere. Too much .. lets see. 1) was the 'I've never been proud of my country comment....2) the whole Rev. Wrong thing. 3) the guns and God comments. And I know there are more, just can't think of them. Too much smoke. Gotta be some fire there somewhere.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

wow screedy, I am most impressed with your several posts, nicely done guy/gal! what a bunch of whiney women! get a life!--and other posts above.muslim women wear these as a part of their faith. I appreciate the freedom of faith our country has. yes, sometimes I have to deal with the antichristian bigotry on this board. but, this country's strength is its freedoms. I know personally women who wear their Hijabs, and do so because they love their faith. what the obama campaign did was amazingly stupid and just plain wrong. and, at least one completely misguided poster above makes this the fault of the republicans? yeah, right! that's good, got any more comdey jokes? our religious freedom is the best way to confront muslim based fascism like Osama bin laden/al-qaeda. we do need to export it. just because a woman wears the Hijab doesn't make her a terrorist, or a hater of america. if a muslim man wears a full beard, he's not one either. like some people assume I'm a liberal for my beard (really!). I noticed no reference in the story or comments to the other obama race incident recently:at a Michelle obama event, volunteers were heard: "we need some more white people over here!" if at a mccain rally "we need some black people over here!" were heard, there'd be marching in the streets, cries of "house n---r, racist, etc. further, if a white, especially a white republican, were attending the equivalent to obama's church, white separatist, spewing bigotry, etc., that politician wouldn't last two seconds!note the double standard? we can't say barry h. obama's middle name, but we always have referred to our presidents with their middle names! different rules for obama? double standard again. *if one of the women leads dearbornistan, that's not a good sign, but she still has rights here in america. if someone proclaims the flying spaghettimonster, he has rights too. iapparently, the obama workers didn't know that about her, all they saw was the Hijab! do I have the freedom to wear a cross? "cross huggers" tells a lot about his antichristian bigotry, but we've already had him well pegged as a hostile unfriendly rude fool.

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

BigDog:As one dog to another ;-) I can understand your comments and the parallels you are attempting to make, however, I believe you are painting with a broad brush. We have two choices for the White House; one that proposes to change the status quo and one that says he isn't Bush III. One hasn't been in Washington long and one has. Is time in residence the best endorsement for a candidate for any postion, much less the POTUS; particulary given the lobbyist infested, special interest driven form of government we have? Whether Obama or anyone is capable of effecting change remains to be seen, but I'll still go with the candidate that offers that scintilla of hope. While I don't dislike McCain, I'm more troubled by his long-term track record of supporting W and issues like the S & L incident. In many respects McCain is a Washington re-tread embroiled in the very culture we all seem to despise. One of the reasons I initially gave W the benefit of the doubt was because of his reputation for working with both sides of the aisle. When push came to shove, however, W pushed and shoved aside the very considerations he once endorsed, along with anything else he encountered. His hubrus is exemplified by the "political capital" he claimed to have won in 2004. In my opinion he would have been better served and much more effective at achieving something other than disruption had he been a little more humble. I guess that's just not the way "The Decider" operates. Just my opinion...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

You know, Tom, it's going to be really entertaining watching this campaign while you and your ilk whip yourselves into a frenzy trying to paint Obama into a racist corner that you already fully occupy.

BigDog 6 years, 10 months ago

bad dog,I will agree with part of your statement but judging what anyone is going to do as President by a political speech written by speechwriters .... at a polical convention. I don't think so.The best way to judge a politician's future actions is by their previous record. Both McCain and Obama will have speeches at their conventions based upon what they think the people want to hear.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

Your dishonesty (or ignorance-- it's one or the other) on this issue is blatant, BG.Yes, the Obama campaign got caught playing racial/ethnic politics. Somebody at this rally had to make an on-the-spot, split-second decision-- do they create a photo-op for the McCain campaign, or at least their fear-mongering minions in the shadows, who would have undoubtedly used this to paint Obama as "Osama," which is already a well-established theme for Republicans? In hindsight, I'm sure they wish they had done the right thing and let the women have their seats, and let the Republicans take the low-road they know so well.If you want to claim that you abhor racial/ethnic politics, by all means, do so. But don't try to pretend that this is new, or that it hasn't been a major campaign tactic for Republicans in this campaign and many others, at least as far back as Nixon.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

It'll be interesting to see if you guys get even more hysterical as Nov. 4th approaches.

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

janeybThose were not Sen. Obama's actions or his words. To assert this premise is either grossly misinformed or disingenuous. They were the result of decisions made by campaign staffers at an event. Do you think a presidential candidate is actually working the crowd to determine who sits where? Or perhaps you think he accomplished this by instructing his minions to ensure no hijabs were allowed in the picture. In addition, how do you know what would have transpired a year ago? Chances are good it might not have been considered newsworthy a year ago, even had it happened then. McCain's actions (i.e. being historically joined at the waist with Bush, for example) speak louder than his recent words attempting to disassociate himself from the current regime, in my opinion. Nevertheless, I'm still willing to listen to what he's saying without completely discounting the message or messenger.As for Obama's policies and positions being few in number and constantly changing, while I don't agree, I suggest you wait until the convention and let him make his case via the offical party platform. The convention will provide you with an opportunity to listen and discuss Obama's policies/positions and make an informed decision. I watch the greater portion of both conventions and do my best to actually listen and consider the respective positions, despite the accompanying rhetoric and talking head opinions. I recommend the same activity to anyone that really wants to claim they make their choices objectively, based upon the issues rather than hiding behind their historic party affiliation and rhetoric.

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

BigDog,I too, agree with part of your statement, but I'm not willing to disregard a candidate merely on the basis he doesn't have a substantial track record. In the absence of that record I am left with listening to and judging worth on the basis of words, demeanor, etc. as my only benchmarks. Words are important to me, whether written by a speechwriter or the candidate. They reflect and constitute the position of the speaker. Whether they are written merely to satisfy and whether they are fulfilled remains to be seen, no matter who authors or utters them.On the other hand, if I proceed solely on the basis of a prior record as my litmus test, I'd have to admit a lot of reluctance to adopting McCain as my candidate. Nevertheless, I'll still listen to his words in an attempt to weigh their merit and discern the unspoken. From my perspective this is not a Hobson's choice, rather it is one which must be considered and made wisely.Have a good weekend-I'm sure we'll have many opportunities to exchange thoughts over the oncoming months.

janeyb 6 years, 10 months ago

It is hard to judge Obama by his polices because they are few and constantly change. Maybe that is OK since change is what he is supposed to be about. A year ago these women would have been allowed to sit behind Obama and he would have said, "So what? They are Americans." He is fast becoming old Washington. That is what happena when you put the Kennedys on a pedestal like Obama does. His actions speak louder than his words.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

I just have to question the wisdom of the Dems running a man with that name. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything to the mans' name.. But if Heinz Zimmerman was running for president in 1944, he could have been the smartest, best leader and the best American in the world, he was not going to get elected.

50YearResident 6 years, 10 months ago

Obama didn't want to let the Muslim "Cat out of the bag" just yet. Wanted to wait until after the election.