Sports

Sports

Missouri lawmaker wants open season on Jayhawks

January 18, 2008

Missouri shooting for new bird?

A bill proposed in the Missouri Senate would make the Kansas Jayhawk the official game bird of the "Show Me" state. Enlarge video

Related document

Senate Bill No. 971 ( .PDF )

Before entering Missouri, Jayhawks beware.

A Missouri senator has introduced a bill to make the Kansas Jayhawk the official game bird of the state of Missouri.

What's a game bird, you might ask? It's the official bird to be hunted throughout the state. A Jayhawk, remember, is a mythical creature.

"Jeeze, I really don't know what to say to that," said KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony when told of the legislation. "I don't know whether to be proud, afraid or outraged."

The bill was introduced Thursday afternoon by Sen. Dan Clemens, a Republican from Marshfield, Mo., just two days before the Jayhawks and the Tigers meet on the basketball court. Clemens, who holds two degrees from the University of Missouri, couldn't be reached for comment Thursday night.

While the legislation may seem a bit harsh, one Jayhawk fan said he wasn't the least bit surprised Missourians would stoop to such a level.

"People criticize me a lot because I get after them a lot," said former KU football coach Don Fambrough, an outspoken critic of all things Missouri. "But they justify that. They're not very nice people to start with. As long as I've been here, I could tell you a list of things like this they've done over the years."

But Fambrough has a suggestion. "I'm going to recommend that our people make the Tiger our most wanted. I have no love for those people."

If the Jayhawk were to become the state game bird, it would replace the bobwhite quail, which was selected as the state game bird last year. The KU-MU game is 7 p.m. Saturday on ESPNU, Sunflower Broadband Channel 141.

The bill is No. 971.

Comments

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

ok i have a stupid question-does anyone know if this espnu is available on dish's top 200?? if not-i'm gonna be really sad! i've looked at my dish available channels thing&didn't see it..am hoping that is just due to lack of coffee&the early hour!

thomgreen 6 years, 11 months ago

I actually chuckled when I read this story. It doesn't really phase me too much and I thought it was sort of a creative way to inject the rivalry into other facets of life. Is it a waste of taxpayers money?, most definitely. But I'd rather see them wasting a few dollars this way rather than some other shady ways.

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

looked at my dish channel listing again before coming to work...and espnu is not a channel i have! does anyone know, will there be a kansas city station carrying the game too? i am a complete idiot when it comes to this sort of thing. help!

Rickyonealku 6 years, 11 months ago

All KU needs to do Saturday Evening is B.E.A.T Fuzzou.....

compmd 6 years, 11 months ago

News Flash!

Jefferson City, MO: After Sen. Dan Clemens (R-Marshfield) introduced SB971 proposing that the Jayhawk be named the state game bird, notable American history scholars flooded the senator's phone with calls informing him that the civil war ended over 100 years ago.

In other news, 72.8% of concealed weapon permit holders in the state of Kansas have begun wearing red knee-high socks as a warning to the Missouri senator that Jayhawks are not fond of being hunted.

ukillaJJ 6 years, 11 months ago

This is the trashiest thing I have ever heard.

inatux 6 years, 11 months ago

Missouri's taxpayer dollars hard at work.

saramaatta 6 years, 11 months ago

inatux: you said exactly what i was thinking. i'm glad i don't live in missouri. i would be outraged that my tax dollars were being used in this way!

DoNotKeepScore 6 years, 11 months ago

Let's help them come up with a description of a "Kansas Jayhawk"

Here's what they have for their current state game bird as listed here

The bobwhite quail (Colinus virginianus), also known as the northern bobwhite, is the official state game bird. The northern bobwhite is found throughout Missouri in a variety of habitats. In the fall and winter, northern bobwhites form loose social groups better known as a covey. A covey will generally contain ten to twelve quail, but can have as many as twenty or thirty birds. The familiar two- or three-note "bobwhite" whistle is made by males in the spring and summer to attract females. (RSMo 10.012).

Ragingbear 6 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like Missouri forgot about the last law like this they made. It was the Mormon Extermination Order.

janeyb 6 years, 11 months ago

My parents have ESPNU. Guess it is one way to get me to come home for a weekend.

I, unfortunately, have a brother who lives in Missouri. He says Tiger fans are psychotically obsessed with Kansas. Maybe the state motto should change from "The Show Me State" to the "We Fly Over the Cookoo's Nest State".

riverdrifter 6 years, 11 months ago

bcman: Right on. I've got umpteen dozen Direct TV channels and no go on this game, near as I can tell. If so, screw them. I'll do without & listen to Bob. I encourage KU fans to boycott ESPNSCRU. Send a message. Don't chump for it. Scarce as they are, I've not shot many MO state birds this year. Even though they have white meat I like them with brown gravy & garlic mashed taters. Old Vine Red Batch 44 wine, kicker. Good luck finding any of that as well. I laid in a case and that's it, I guess. I'd guess Jayhawk would stick in the throat of most slavers and strangle them right before they wash it down with a glass of Boone's Farm.

rellek 6 years, 11 months ago

This really is simple.

MU Fans: Hateful attitude to KU, simply out of envy.....

KU Fans: Hateful attitude to MU, out of sadistic pleasure, picking on a second class fan base, athletic department, and school. Not very nice, but way too much fun to ignore......

While these two styles look very much the same to an outsider........there are simply different.

MU fans are angry at KU........

while

KU fans are LAUGHING AT MU........

Go Hawks!

bd 6 years, 11 months ago

Like I have said all along, the wind hardly ever blows from the east because Missouri SUCKS!

imagold 6 years, 11 months ago

Where are our senses of humor this lovely Friday morning? This story made me chuckle. Sen. Clemens sounds like a man I would vote for...were he not in Missouri.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 11 months ago

Somebody please tell the buffoon that the Jayhawk doesn't really exist. He probably goes Snipe hunting every weekend and still believes in Santa Claus, too.

somebodynew 6 years, 11 months ago

Trinity - I have Dish and ESPNU is channel 148.

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

thanx somebody-i did have just the america's 200 package which did not include espnu; just got off the phone with the dish provider&did an upgrade so that i WILL have the 250 package. just to be on the safe side, lol.

Toto_the_great 6 years, 11 months ago

Haiku, the actually is a snipe... the common snipe (Gallinago gallinago) and Jack snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus). I am not for sure whether you can hunt them or not. Look it up in the Perterson's Field Guide.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 11 months ago

I found it just a way to feed the rivalry. However, that's not smart to do with Missourians - suggest they arm up and go shooting Jayhawks. They won't know what is real and what isn't, and we may be in trouble.

We'll see how funny it is when a fan or team member is the end of a bullet this weekend.

Gotta love Fambrough! He has more stories about MU team, fans, etc., than you would want to hear. And the Antlers are harassing our players now too. I guess they know MU can win with their talent, so they are resorting to intimidation. What a pitiful bunch.

HW 6 years, 11 months ago

Haiku: Snipes are real and there is even a hunting season for them in Kansas. Check out the link below. I wouldn't want you to give Mizzou fans too much credit.

inklines 6 years, 11 months ago

Haiku, The Jayhawk does exist. It is you and me and everyone else who lives in and supports Kansas. Perhaps Mr. Clemens is attempting to pass legislation to make it game to grab a gun and shoot Kansas citizens

HW 6 years, 11 months ago

Haiku: Maybe you can replace snipe with Jackalope or snow snake. That may be a better fit.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 11 months ago

MU CAN'T win with their talent. That's what I meant.

shotgun 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey all of you whiners! Why don't you cry on you "Muck Fizzou" shirts. Talk about moronic!

ranger73 6 years, 11 months ago

I guess I will take my Jayhawk emblem off my car when I get into Mi-SOUR-i so Billy Joe Bob doesn't take pock-shots at my car.

Billy Joe Bob: Hey Bubba Fred John, whuz that one of them thar Jayhawks gon by? Ain't they legal-like now to shoot?

Bubba Fred John: Guess it doesn't matter it's stuck on that car there. Legal is legal right?

Melissa Kounelaki 6 years, 11 months ago

What a waste of time (and probably money) to introduce such a bill. Even as a joke, does this man truly have nothing better to do? And I'm a bit irritated at the LJW too, making this the top headline on this morning's print newspaper. Is it a slow news day, guys? Nothing else going on, like, say a looming recession? A war? This is better suited to the inside regional news section.

janeyb 6 years, 11 months ago

We should all thank the Missouri football fans driving around with the Jayhawk hanging from their car trunk by a hangman's noose. Each Jayhawk purchase they made contributed to the University of Kansas. Keep buying those Jayhawks Missouri fans.

blakus 6 years, 11 months ago

Awwww... I feel sorry for Missourians and their basketball team. There is no coincidence that this bill was proposed a couple days prior to the basketball game against KU. What a crappy way to motivate your team. I guess the people of Missouri will try anything to rally support for their awful basketball team... a .424, 14-19, NCAA tournament record would lead me to try anything to rally the troops. How about instead of spending the money to pass this worthless bill (which would make Missourians look bad everytime we beat the crap out of their basketball team) they put the money towards the U of Missouri.

ndwheat 6 years, 11 months ago

Does this remind anybody of Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny? Elmer(missouri) will never get Bugs(Jayhawks). I hope this bill passes so the official game bird gets the best of them every year.

davidsmom 6 years, 11 months ago

I have a co-worker and friend, a lifelong resident of Missouri who's son is a student at MU. After the KU-MU football game, she graciously didn't bring it up even once, at least not intentionally within my hearing... (although I did overhear her quietly chatting with another co-worker, also an MU fan. He said that KU actually had him worried in the 4th quarter that they would come back and win.) But the Tuesday before the Orange Bowl, she made a point of saying, "Oh, and by the way, tomorrow night...we're rooting for Virginia Tech, because Missouri should be in that game." So if anybody harbored any delusions that MU fans had "gotten over" the "snub," he would be dead wrong. And after the Orange Bowl, I graciously didn't bring it up even once...because I would rather we continue to be friends. I just hope the Jayhawks absolutely destroy the Tigers tomorrow night. Regardless of the outcome of that game, I will not talk about it at work. There is always going to be a bit of tension several times a year, and that's just life.

KUmom

Jay_lo 6 years, 11 months ago

At least you all get to see the game. I'd like to make ESPNU the official game network of North Central Kansas, and declare open season. Our cable company doesn't even offer the darn thing.

We would miss almost anything to see a KU game on TV, and have been able to see them all, including pre-season, but all of a sudden a big game becomes an exclusive on a less than popular channel.

To me, putting a rivalry game on a network that a majority of the fans can't see is pretty much the same as moving a home football game to Arrowhead. Money! Money! Money!

Can you say Chiefs/Broncos on the NFL network? Pretty much legalized ransom demands. Pay for this network, or you will never see your beloved team when it matters again. Then as soon as you cough up the dough, they morph off into another even more specialized channel and you start all over again.

As long as the major players in sports keep signing contracts to make their big games available on every sports channel offset that pops up, those of us at a distance will find ourselves, how shall I say, oh yeah, screwed out some of the best games of the year.

mytake 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't know where this game is tomorrow, but if it's in Lawrence, do you think Lawrence can overcome it's 'trashy" apprearance before the Tigers start showing up and driving thru town? It's embarrassing. When compared to Columbia, Lawrence kinda looks like a run down trailor park. I won't even mention the street disrepair challenges. I still can't get used to these roads - unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I have lived here, I have failed to understand why people here put their trash cans in the front of their house ??????????????? Why not put them in a more subtle place on the side of your house or in the back instead of showing your trash cans off like they are the pride and joy of home ownership in Lawrence. It would make things much cleaner looking. Heck, some people are so lazy - they just leave their trash cans next to the road 24x7. The closer you get to campus - the worse it gets.

Lawrence could be a beautiful college town if people had pride and weren't so lazy about their trash and keep their homes up with a coat of paint etc. After driving thru Columbia and MU to Lawrence and KU = no comparisons. Columbia is a very proud city and it shows.

I did drive over to the West side of Lawrence the other day where I used to live - 'and "well......I'll be darned' there were trash cans firmly planted right infront of those beautiful homes too. Very strange town. Maybe it's a Lawrence phenomenon. Oh well...if the tigers fans come maybe they'll blink and miss some of the trashiness.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 11 months ago

mytake, you are a goofball. Maybe it was trash day?? That's where we put them to get picked up.

Perhaps where you lived, the trash wasn't picked up, but taken to dinner???

The game is in Columbia. Wow, simply wow.

mytake 6 years, 11 months ago

No, I live in this town and have for years. But I just hate to see how trashy Lawrence is compared to other college towns. Maybe a little code enforcement would be the answer and some open minds and a little elbow grease.

That was my point Gootsie - it's not just trash day that trash cans are in plain site - it's everyday in this town.

People actuallly store them in front of their house. It's weird.

Good the game is in Columbia then.

Wow - simply wow - yeah, it's called having some "pride in your school and your town" b/c the rest of the world sees it.

Jayhawks and Lawrence - get proud and show it. Showing support for everything associated with KU is more than just wearing a Jayhawk sweatshirt.

standuporget 6 years, 11 months ago

Raider

ESPNU is channel 608 on DirectTV. There is no 608 on DirectTV

mwhite 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't see what the big deal is. If the rest of the state shoots like their basketball team, we have nothing to worry about.

mytake 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey Gootsie and RonBurgandy~

Starting to make sense and all tie in now?? See story today in LJ World. Can you add 2+2?

A recent news story in the Journal-World told of a study initiated by Lawrence city commissioners and staffers to learn what other Big 12 and area cities are doing to attract new jobs and new businesses to their communities.

Based on their reaction to the findings of this study, Lawrence officials either have been in the dark for some time or have not paid attention to the growing concern of many local residents about the city's economic health.

Or maybe it's a bad case of complacency or arrogance, which seems to be a growing disease among many in Lawrence and on the Kansas University campus.

Economic health in Lawrence a.k.a. - lack thereof - starting to reflect in 'look and feel' of the city. It's great KU wins a lot of ball games - whoo hoo!!! - but there are bigger and more important issues than worrying about what Tigers name their official game bird.

At least they didn't mention a Jayhawk perched on a trashcan (which would be fitting if they did).