Archive for Friday, September 29, 2006

Stolen soccer nets returned, along with note and money

September 29, 2006

They're back.

Just as mysteriously as they disappeared, the nets cut from the soccer goal posts earlier this week at the Youth Sports Complex showed up early Thursday morning stuffed in a garbage bag on the front lawn of Pat Lindeman, equipment coordinator for Kaw Valley Soccer Assn.

Along with the nets was an envelope containing a note of apology and $50 in cash.

"It said, 'I'm sorry. I intended to return these from the start,'" Lindeman said, reading from the note. "'I didn't know the complications that would follow. Please accept this $50 donation for repairs.'"

The nets were stolen overnight Monday from the YSI soccer fields. The thefts initially put this weekend's KVSA games in jeopardy and led to an order for speedy delivery of replacement nets. The Lawrence Luncheon Optimists donated $1,000 to help pay for the new nets.

"Now it's feast or famine all of a sudden," said Gunar Harmon, KVSA office administrator.

The new nets will be kept as future replacements, but the Optimists will have the opportunity to take their money back, said Brad Williams, vice president of the soccer association.

Brad Williams, vice president of the Kaw Valley Soccer Assn., is pictured with one of the 16 returned soccer nets that were recently stolen from the YSI soccer fields. Williams explained that the nets were found early Thursday morning on the front lawn of KVSA equipment coordinator Pat Lindeman along with $50 cash and a typed anonymous letter of apology.

This weekend's soccer games, typically involving players ages 4 through 10, will go on.

The incident still has Williams and Harmon wondering what was behind the thefts. They noted that somebody went to a lot of time and effort to take the nets. They think the publicity and the Lawrence community's uproar over the incident made an impression on the culprit or culprits.

"It was obviously someone who didn't realize the impact that it would have on those kids and those fields," Williams said.

Harmon agreed.

"At the very least, somebody had a very narrow view of the consequences of their behavior," Harmon said. "Somebody recognized the error of their ways, and for that we are grateful."

The returned nets are to be put back on the goals today, Harmon said.

Comments

kawryan 7 years, 6 months ago

Thanks "culprut(s)".

You did the right thing. That or you realized they made bad fishing nets.

And a thank you to the Optimists also!

Now if we can just get this kind of covrage for the actual game from the JW on the HS and Collage level!

Confrontation 7 years, 6 months ago

Thank God the soccer moms in their minivans won't have their panties in a wad anymore. It's bad enough to have them driving and talking on cell phones. We don't need any lingerie disorders.

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

I expect to see an A&E Cold Case Files (complete with Bill Curtis walking on a soccer field), Greta Van Sustren and Nancy Grace doing live remotes from Lawrence asking for information.

Unless these nets were damaged where they can't be used in the future (it kind of sounds like they are fine) and as long as the "victims" are willing, lets let it go. No harm, no foul.

my_black_lab_told_me_so 7 years, 6 months ago

So..is this still a police matter?

Or is it "case closed"?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

They learned a valuable lesson? Sure they did...that you can do stupid stuff like this and get away with it.

Nick Yoho 7 years, 6 months ago

ugg,didn't proofread/spellcheck,sorry.kvk

Nick Yoho 7 years, 6 months ago

Hooray to the thieves,that brought them back.Sure it was a stupid thing to do,but in the end they learned a valuable lesson,and are probably less likely to do something similar.Congratulations on growing up a little.may you never steal again. On the other hand,THe soccer folks and Optimists,go and big boost out of it.Everyone benefited.The Opts go to do what they do so well,help out!What a happy ending for once.

fixx25 7 years, 6 months ago

You all crack me up! Seriously, though...thanks to all the bloggers...you have been really supportive and have helped us get our nets back.

We are not sure why someone would take them. The note was typed and the way it was written...first person (not like "my son" or "my daughter" took them") I think it was an older kid or adult. We have heard rumors about fraternaties in other towns "borrowing" nets to make "cobwebs" on their fraternity house for Halloween.

Whoever took them was very meticulous and didn't damange any nets, but cut every tie. Also, those nets are about 7-10lbs each...and it took three full trashbags...so I don't think it was a "one person" job. I'd love to know why they took them...no strings attached. -KVSA

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

now onto a real problem, ants if all the csi and law and order people could help me with ants I would be a happy camper.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

crazyks made me laugh had a flash of every crime show flash in my head, cop bent over table, black pwder floating in air in slow mo of course intense music playing, and you here the boss we will get our guy they always mess up ....

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

I can see the police now, furiously dusting for prints on that note and the money...

Who the hell would want soccer nets anyway? What do you use them for, if you don't have a soccer goal?

And why take them in the first place if you really intended to bring them back?

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

OK how about the net thief sending a letter, use gloves so you do not get caught, and tell us why we really would like to hear this one.

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

it was probably some small town around that needed 'em for their own soccer fest. hmmm...check out who's had soccer games/tourneys recently!

justthefacts 7 years, 6 months ago

Maybe a fraternity initiation prank?

pelliott 7 years, 6 months ago

the statue at the depot is favorite of mine. My friend and I often go and look at it when we need a lift. I love it.

Ken Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

I think the nets were taken so the perps could go fishing and feed a large gathering of folks... no wait, that's a Bible story.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

kinda weird says, always intented to give them back, or something like that. So why did they get taken if you intended to give them back?

Pywacket 7 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like they were borrowing them for a specific purpose and maybe (?) hoped they could return them before the weekend games without anyone noticing they were gone.

Most stolen articles--whether for kids or whomever--are never returned, much less with money attached. Every year you read about thieves in some city or other taking a stash of coats, toys, etc., that have been collected for poor children. No amount of public wailing ever results in those things being returned. So I'm inclined to believe the note's statement that, "I intended to return these from the start."

No amount of public outcry would make someone suddenly grow a sense of right and wrong if they didn't already have one. Definitely sounds like a miguided "borrower" rather than an out-and-out thief.

concernedparent 7 years, 6 months ago

Idiots. Maybe tonight they'll leave the other 950 to make up for the thousand that was donated.

Becca 7 years, 6 months ago

Not the kids, the adults. Adults get stupid over stuff like sports.

Brandon Perkins 7 years, 6 months ago

"I've been wondering if maybe it was the "opposition" in the games that took them as a prank. It happens."

Yeah I agree...that darn Deerfield team that my daughters' Prarie Park team plays this weekend was probably behind it...

Becca 7 years, 6 months ago

sourpuss 7 years, 6 months ago

And now we'll never know why they were taken. I'm thinking it was for a conceptual art piece whereby the conjoined nets would be draped over that god-ugly statue in front of the depot in North Lawrence, an homage to Christo, if you will.

promitida 7 years, 6 months ago

Haha, Lawrence is such a weird place.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm...sounds like an "inside job" to me.