Archive for Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Manhunt on Connecticut Street

Police take at least one person into custody

October 24, 2006, 10:37 a.m. Updated October 24, 2006, 11:58 a.m.

A Lawrence Police Officer escort a man to a squad car as other officers standby after conducting a search in the alley between Connecticut and New York streets between Ninth and Tenth streets Tuesday morning.

Lawrence police arrested three men this morning following a short car chase and neighborhood search just east of downtown.

About 10:30 a.m., an officer was sent to investigate an automobile burglary in progress in the 700 block of East Ninth Street, Sgt. Dan Ward said. When the officer arrived he saw three male suspects who attempted to flee in a car. A short car chase ensued, ending in the 1000 block of New Jersey Street where the suspects bailed out and fled on foot.

Other officers responded to the area and a search began. Two men, both from Leavenworth, were found and taken into a custody, Ward said.

Shortly before noon a third suspect who earlier eluded police also was taken into custody. He was described as a 25-year-old, man of light complexion wearing a black jacket. He had short hair and a mustache. He also was from Leavenworth, Ward said.

The car the suspects fled in turned out to be a stolen, white Chevrolet Cavalier, Ward said. It was not the same vehicle the three were attempting to break into, he said.

Comments

Ragingbear 8 years, 9 months ago

Lot's of cops mean nothing in this town. I saw 6 police cars stop a guy to see if he was intoxicated on the street. Turns out he wasn't, and just had a bad sprain.

ControlFreak 8 years, 9 months ago

Why?

People commit crimes every day that aren't related.

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

I have to agree with you, Ragingbear. I had a car full of teenage boys bump into the back of my car. Our cars were able to be moved to a Dillons parking lot. We weren't blocking traffic or fighting. Before you know it, there were four cop cars on the scene. One of the kids was black, so I guess the cops got concerned. If cops can't encourage stereotypes, then who can?

ForThePeople 8 years, 9 months ago

Losers....hopefully they'll be going back to "Leavenworth"!

cellogrl 8 years, 9 months ago

Okay, I just have to say, as a former resident of Lawrence who now lives in Topeka (closer to my job) I'm getting a little bit tired of the bad rep that Topeka seems to have on this site. We are not ALL thugs that live here. It really is just the southeast side of town (and not ALL of the people there either) that is giving the ENTIRE TOWN a bad rep. Please for the LOVE OF GOD stop judging all of us! We are mostly normal people!!!

betti81 8 years, 9 months ago

"...some crazy guy on wet with a gun."

on wet...hilarious!

ForThePeople 8 years, 9 months ago

Anyone recognize the fellow in custody shown in the pic? Suspicious, I tells ya! Wonder if this is in any way connected to the Vital murder?

one_track 8 years, 9 months ago

Good work LAPD, glad to see the ticket writers doing police work

carolannfugate 8 years, 9 months ago

With all the lunatics on the streets it really isn't safe for a single officer to approach a situation. I would rather see 10 cop cars than see a cop shot for approaching some crazy guy on wet with a gun.

Leprechaunking13 8 years, 9 months ago

topeka was brought up no where in the article kujeeper but nice try just cause we all hate topeka doesn't mean we can just wish crimes from topekans to happen here to spread their bad rep

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

That is a lot of cops. This must have been something big. I wonder if this is a drug house bust. Probably.

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

Mr_Ramirez: What are you questioning? We know these cops call in backup whenever there is a black person involved. This was a young teenager who was simply a passenger in a non-serious fender-bender. Why did it take four cop cars? There was no traffic backup involved. No one was violent or mad. Maybe these cops need more work. Maybe they were all there since Dillons sales donuts.

Ghost78 8 years, 9 months ago

Confrontation: Is it more likely that the cop called in backup because he was concerned about the ethnicity of the persons involved in the wreck or the actual number of people that were involved, per your statement that the other car was full of teenage boys? If I was a cop and I was asked to handle an accident situation involving more than 2-3 people, I would call for support too, just because I wouldn't be able to watch everyone simoutaneously. Your situation seemed to end amiably, but if things has turned another way, a single cop would be hard pressed to manage more than a few people.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

"white Chevrolet Cavalier..."

Why is it that people are always going to jail for stealing crap cars? Steal a BMW or something, jeez.

Hawkman 8 years, 9 months ago

Stealing a Cavalier.....so does this qualify as NOT SO GRAND AUTO THEFT????

bearded_gnome 8 years, 9 months ago

uh, he wants to measure the city? so, that parameter of lawrence would be measured in spiked heads as the circumference?

I say we gather up all the out of town offending criminals and put their heads on spikes around the parameter of the city.

don_burgess 8 years, 9 months ago

SEE!?!?! It's not just Topeka hoolgans who run amuck in our city...

It's nice to know these fine gentlemen are from Leavenworth. When they go to the federal prison there, they will feel right at home.

quietgirl 8 years, 9 months ago

Thank you cellogirl. I am a Lawrence resident who grew up in Topeka. I understand it's not the Best place to live in the world but it really doesn't deserve the bad hype it gets. Not all of us Topekans are thugs, teenage mothers/fathers or drug dealers. How would everyone in Lawrence want to be judged soley on the the actions of a few of our residents???