Archive for Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Two-alarm fire damages home near KU

April 11, 2006

A two-alarm blaze tore through part of a rental home near Kansas University campus late Monday night.

A fire at 2003 Emerald Drive near the Kansas University campus tore through the home's roof late Monday and may have spread to other parts of the house as well.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical officials responded to a call around 10:40 p.m. Monday when neighbors saw flames rising from the home's garage at 2003 Emerald Drive.

The fire ate through the home's roof and may have spread to other parts of the house as well.

Three KU students lived in the house. No one was injured in the fire.

Fire officials had not yet determined the cause of the blaze, although Westar Energy crews were on the scene to shut power off at the house.

The residents said that the contents in the house were insured, but gave no other information as firefighters continued to smother the fire a half-hour later.

Comments

jds10 8 years ago

I was one of the residents who lived in the house that burned down on Emerald Monday night. First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their sympathy and support since the incident and it should be noted that we have been extremely lucky. Also, I would again like to thank EVERYONE on the fire crews and the police officers who were there that night along with the 911 dispatcher. I was absolutely amazed at how quickly they got there and how effective they were at limiting the extent of the damage. Without their efforts, it would have been MUCH more devastating than it actually was. These men and women deserve nothing but respect, support, and admiration for the work that they do... NOT criticism. Keep this in mind the next time you come across local emergency personnel or write something on the internet. Again, thanks to everyone for their concern and support. It is much appreciated!

quietgirl 8 years ago

Wow, Pity is a freak!!! I can picture him typing while foaming at the mouth...

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

Colt, I'm not a firefighter or a medic, but I have great respect and admiration for the job you firefighters do. It's dangerous work, and I appreciate the risks you take.

werner24 8 years ago

Hey Jarret, It's Brad from work! If you need anything man let me know!!!!!!!! I'm truly sorry for your guys' loss.

Devon Kissinger 8 years ago

Pity, you really aren't worth the time but, here goes. I've learned a lot in my 10 or so years of being a firefighter that you can't learn by reading books, watching TV, looking at the internet, or whatever form of media you care to interject. Do you have any idea what kind of risk is involved with fighting a structure fire? If you had even a clue, I suspect your viewpoint would change 180 degrees. I don't know everything about firefighting, don't really expect I will either. This I know, you don't risk lives for property. I know a lot of the Lawrence firefighters personally, trained with many of them for years and I'll be damned if I can think of a more professional department in a town the size of Lawrence, and worked with a few. So you go on Pity and think you've got the cat by the tail, enjoy yourself, when you need them, they'll come no matter what you might say about them. You'll appreciate it even though you may not think so right now. Good luck to you.

pity2bu 8 years ago

i can't believe i hit a nerve with you wanna bee firefighters. the city of lawrence is nothing but a bunch of medics.

Colt 45 you better read the essentials and learn the tactics. what's firehouse magazine got to do with standing outside. the fire on the inside go in and put it out.

Crazyks you must be a medic because i struck a nerve. I know your not a firefighter because you don't have a clue as to what your talking about. I'm not afraid of anything, anyone can go in a put out a fire inside.

Comic books, no I don't want my collection of newspaper comments to burn like this one where idiots like you comment here.

My second language is making you idiots mad and giving the medics / firefighters hell for a poor job of customer service.

top that one!!

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

Talk about crazy...I think YOU are.

Right about what? That firefighters should die to save someone's property? Someone's stuff? Baloney. Let the crap burn, as long as the people are safe.

Why do you keep talking about medics going inside burning buildings to put out fires? Medics stay outside to treat those who are injured, you idiot. Firefighters put out the fires. Some firefighters may be trained as medics, but their job is still to put out fires.

No, real firefighters do not do it all the time for property alone. What are you afraid of? That your house will catch fire and you'll lose your precious comic book collection?

Did you learn common sense as a second language?

What a dufus...

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

Talk about crazy...I think YOU are.

What a dufus...

Devon Kissinger 8 years ago

Armchair quarterbacking a fire you weren't at. Do you know anymore than what was reported in the paper? Didn't think so, pity. When you've been there, then you can make comment on the situation, till then you need to learn about fireground strategies & tactics. Stop reading firehouse magazine and get a copy of IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting, don't use it for toilet paper or chewing gum, read it. Learn about something other than trash.

pity2bu 8 years ago

Crazyks

what does the cars have to do with it, they have nothing to do with putting out the house fire. if your worried about other houses in the area then protect them but I don't see any hoselines doing so.

Medics who will not enter a house to put out the fire need to find another job, there are other names for them. Real Firemen do it all the time for property alone.

But as you can't believe everything an occupant or owner tells you anyway.

if you don''t like what I have to say, don't respond.

thank GOD I don't live there or they would get a ration of crap from me each time there is a photo in the paper!!!!!

Your just mad because I'm right. Take it somewhere else Crazyks because you won't win this one.

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

Pity, Exactly what do you think firefighters going into a burning building will accomplish, except killing the firefighters?

No one was hurt in the fire, and that includes ALL the residents of the house. Why are you harping on this?

The main objective for firefighters is to first make sure all residents are outside. If anyone is still inside, they will go in to try and rescue them, if possible. There are situations where it is too dangerous to do this.

The second objective is to contain the fire, so that no nearby buildings or homes go up in flames as well.

No firefighter is going to enter a burning building if all of the people are out. As far as standing outside, there is always the possibility that the building could collapse, and injure anyone standing too closely.

Not to mention that the picture in the paper shows two cars parked right next to that burning garage. What if one or both of them had caught fire as well?

To hell with the contents. Things can be replaced. People can't.

What is your problem? You got a vendetta out against firefighters and medics? You want all of them to die needlessly?

How many fires have you put out lately? And did you do it from inside the burning building?

It figures that you're a sanitation truck driver...you're sure wading in it right now.

pity2bu 8 years ago

Fire_Fighter_900

For a Medic you sure are green behind the ears! Your not a real Fireman either if you don't enter to save a life and /or property.

Putting your life on the line, what are you talking about, there standing outside, what is going to happen to you outside?

Please don't use God' names in vane, because he cannot come down here to help you out. He's just trying to teach you that you still have a lot to learn, rookie. Why should it matter if I were on one of those LDCFM crews they and you have shown they are medics, so onward with the medic 101 class youngster.

Fire_Fighter_900 8 years ago

im a firefighter and a medic u might dog on them now but i dont see u putting your life on the line. god u need to shut up unless u where on one of those crew for LDCFM that where there

pity2bu 8 years ago

bambam

I am not yelling due to my caps.

they are not inside, you should know that if your a career medic somewhere. I wouldn't think that you would put water on a fire from the outside if there are other medics inside, don't you agree, because you seem to know alot about remedial medic tactics 101.

Your just upset that I am a sanitation truck driver and I seem to know more than you.

by the way a real firefighter something your not, will risk life and limb to save someone's property. I am sorry your not capable of that.....

I too only wish you were in a class of real fireman!!!

End of Story Sonny!!

bambam23 8 years ago

bambam23 8 years ago

Nope, not a career medic, hell I would make a horrible medic, but a career firefighter. Typing in caps now I see, that means your yelling right, wow.

Your last sentence shows not only your ignorance but your stupidity. I have no problem risking my life for a human being, but why and the hell should I die for your property. That is what insurance is for. Risk alot to save alot, risk a little to save a little.

pity2bu 8 years ago

I'LL WAIT TO SEE BACKDRAFT AT LEAST REAL MEN ARE FIGHTING FIRE INSIDE INSTEAD OF THE SURROUND AND DROWN THEORY.

YOU FORGOT TO SAY WHERE YOU WERE A CAREER MEDIC AT BAMBAM, BE PROUD TO BE A MEDIC AND SHARE WITH US, LET'S GUESS, MMMMM TONGANOXIE, EUDORA, BALDWIN OR IS IT THE LENEXA, OVERLAND PARK, OLATHE OR SHAWNEE MEDICAL DEPARTMENTS.

ARE YOU SURE THAT'S NOT YOU OUTSIDE THE BURNING HOUSE WITH THE LIMP HOSELINE AND YOUR JUST TOO EMBARASSED TO SAY? ITS OKAY NO ONE HERE HAS ANY EXPERIENCE HERE. GET SOME SNOT ON YOUR CHIN (THAT'S EXPERIENCE) THEN TALK WITH ME BAMBAM.

NO OBSERVER, I DON'T WANT THESE MEDICS SAVING ME NOR MY FAMILY. ARE YOU KIDDING I WOULD DIE ANYWAY FROM THE SURROUND AND DROWN THEORY.

OH GOTTA GO, I HERE ANOTHER ALARM ON THE SCANNER, BOY LISTENING TO THE REAL SUPER HERO'S (REAL FIREMEN, NOT MEDIC BOYS) ATTACKING A FIRE FROM THE INSIDE NO-LESS AND THEY ARE NOT PUSHING IT THROUGH-OUT THE INSIDE OF THE STRUCTURE.

THIS IS A TRUE BLESSING KNOWING THERE ARE REAL BRAVE SUPER-HERO'S OUT THERE THAT WILL RISK THERE LIVES FOR NOT ONLY PEOPLE, BUT PROPERTY TOO!!!!

I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO THEM!!

bambam23 8 years ago

LoL, no im not a volunteer, im career(not in lawrence but close). But volunteers are just as good. I think you are the one who needs to do a little more reading, you would find out long ago that firefighters used wet beards to help them breath in fire, although they could never get in as deep as we can now.

Thanks for your post though at first i thought you may have some fire knowledge but it is obvious that you dont have a clue. Thats ok im sure they are showing "Backdraft" on TBS this week, maybe you can "learn" some more fire attack tactics.

observer 8 years ago

pity2bu, too bad you are so stupid that you can't appreciate the job these people do. Hope you never need their help, but if you do, thank them for saving either you, your family or your posessions. Obviously you are clueless as to what they do.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years ago

pity2bu: You certainly hurled out the insults at bambam23 but you still neglected to say what your experience is with fighting fires. What is your experience? Were you ever a fire fighter?

Fire_Fighter_900 8 years ago

u know im not a lawrence fire fighter but what ive been taught if there is so much involved and occupants tell u every one is out u do not enter.

eb2 8 years ago

this was a pretty sad story- one of the guys had a dog who started barking and warned them, and they all got out in time, but the dog didn't make it.

pity2bu 8 years ago

Well bambam23 you first need to loosen the bone hairbrett its way to tight if you part of the Flintstones, or read a little more to raise that 23 score IQ.

Your first mistake is that you presumed the occupant tells you everyone is out, and why risk the lives thats what they get paid to do, they know the danger unless they are Hollywood Firefighters. Wrap your beard around your face, mmmmmmmmm sounds like something the Flintstones Fire Department would do.

Retard, no not quite, you for piping up and answering something you know nothing about labels you the idiot!!!!!! IDIOT.

Sounds to me like your one of those, what ya call-it, VOLUNTEER WANNA-BEES!!!!!!!!!!!!

bambam23 8 years ago

pity2bu 8 years ago

"Surround and Drown," the new motto for the Lawrence Fire and Medical.

It is too bad that only a few old heads on the department know how to really fight fire, but hey what do you expect from an ambulance department.

They like to make room for new parking lots that they so desperately need. I have never observed a department that allows each person to drive a different vehicle such as a fire truck, ambulance, SUV, van and pickup truck to the fire. Oh not to mention a place for the blanket so they can take a nap after standing outside attempting to put out the flames.

This has to be a paramedic standing outside in this photo. This is what is taught in Paramedic 101 Class.

That's what happens when you have an old Chief that wanted to implement medical into the equation. It will continue with the new paramedic Chief, because that's the way it was done in Lees Summit, Missouri, or at least what he has read about in the magazines.

Oh well, how about holding hands and lets all circle the burning house and sing Kumba-Ya as it burns to the ground. We can eat roasted marshmellows and lay on our blankets, then each of us can get into all the parked vehicles and drive away.

At least I am glad I live in Kansas City Missouri where I know this surround and drown motto is the norm under the KCMO Fire Chief and his department.

I guess this proves that you can't have quality departments when you combine to different entities such as medical and fire. It's really too bad to see such poor professional quality.

The city people are the ones that really suffer in the end.

pierced_daisy 8 years ago

I saw this blaze from my home and it was astounding! I heard some sirens and thought they sounded close so we went outside to see if we could see the trucks. Instead, just a few doors down we saw huge flames and thick giant clouds of smoke! the flames literally were several feet above the rooftops of the other homes. Im glad that those students have insurance!! So many people who rent neglect to get rental insurance - and its only 10-15 bucks a month!

If these students need anything whatsoever - I hope that there is a way that we can help them. Be it a nice meal, some clothes, etc - we are willing to help!