As trial approaches for a Lawrence man charged with killing his wife, attorneys are still debating what evidence should be kept from jurors.
Photographs are one of the main categories of evidence at issue in the trial of Martin K. Miller, a carpenter and former Christian-school trustee charged with suffocating his wife, Mary, last July at their home at 2105 Carolina St.
Prosecutors seek to introduce photos from Mary Miller's medical exam, as well as pornographic photos reportedly found on Martin Miller's computer and photos depicting his affair with another woman.
Prosecution and defense attorneys are trying to reach agreement about which photos should be excluded as irrelevant or inflammatory. But at a pretrial conference on Friday, they told Judge Paula Martin they hadn't yet reached an agreement. Miller is scheduled to stand trial starting June 13 and has a final pretrial conference scheduled for next week.
Prosecutors allege Miller killed his wife because he wanted to pursue relationships with other women but believed the Lord frowned on divorce. Police initially said the death wasn't suspicious, but that changed after a coroner found bruising inside Mary Miller's neck.
The couple's junior-high-aged children, who were in the home at the time and testified hearing their mother cry out, are expected to be key witnesses against their father.
Martin Miller trial
Related content about the Martin Miller trial
- 6News video: Man convicted of killing wife to marry again (03-07-06)
- Murderer-husband plans prison wedding to witness (03-08-06)
- Miller house could be for sale soon (09-21-05)
- 6News video: Children adjust to new life (08-24-05)
- Miller children get fresh start (08-25-05)
- Miller gets life term for murder (07-21-05)
- Minister who was addicted to porn says case not rare (07-21-05)
- 6News video: Judge hands down Miller sentence (07-20-05)
- Miller guilty of murder (06-21-05)
- Judge reverses ruling prohibiting sketches (06-21-05)
- 6News video: Miller convicted of first-degree murder (06-20-05)
- Miller says he 'panicked' after wife's death (06-18-05)
- Supreme Court asked to weigh court sketches (06-18-05)
- 6News video: Testimony ends in Miller trial (06-17-05)
- Defendant to testify; mistress takes stand life (06-17-05)
- Judge bars sketches from publication (06-17-05)
- 6News video: State rests in Martin Miller trial (06-16-05)
- Defendant's diary shows marital discontent (06-16-05)
- 6News video: Jurors see computer evidence in Miller trial (06-15-05)
- Murder suspect portrayed as leading double life (06-15-05)
- 6News video: Testimony begins in Miller trial (06-14-05)
- Miller trial begins today (06-14-05)
- 6News video: Jury chosen for Miller trial (06-13-05)
- Key Figures in Miller Trial
- Photo gallery
- More in the Martin Miller Murder Trial
- RSS feed of trial coverage