New downtown sculpture being installed

July 19, 2005

Freeform, a 10-foot-tall painted steel sculpture, was being installed this morning on the southwest corner of Sixth and Massachusetts streets, as this 6News TowerCam photo shows. (<a href="http://www.6newslawrence.com/weather/towercam/">See live TowerCam photos</a>)

Despite this morning's rainfall, a new sculpture was being installed in downtown Lawrence in honor of the city's 150th birthday anniversary.

The sculpture, "Freeform," created by Stephen Johnson, was being installed this morning by a crane at the southwest corner of the intersection of Sixth and Massachusetts streets, across from city hall. The 10-foot-tall painted steel scultpure rests on a two-foot limestone base.

"The Lawrence Arts Commission commissioned the project in 2004 as part of the city's 150th anniversary celebration. This is the completion of work that was started over a year ago," said Lisa Patterson, the city's communications manager.

The official unveiling of the artwork is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Patterson said. The project was budgeted at $53,000.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

newsreader 10 years ago

$53,000 huh? Interesting way to use money... hope that was paid for via. fundraising and not tax money...

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years ago

There just must be something about the art of sculpture that I don't understand...because most of the "sculptures" that I see down at the Law Enforcement Center & City Hall look like a bunch of scrap metal to me and are a BIG eyesore.

If the city commission wants to ban something, they should ban ugly "art" like that...

BunE 10 years ago

Just drove by it. Looks great!

cowboy 10 years ago

53,000 , arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh

David Albertson 10 years ago

I wonder how far $53,000 would go towards repaving 23rd st west of Harper? How much does it cost to patch the same potholes 10 time a year? Now I remember why I moved out of Lawrence.

David Albertson 10 years ago

Sorry, east of Harper......Maybe I should run for city commission!!!!!!

lunacydetector 10 years ago

i have a couple of 4 X 4's boards about 10 feet long. i was thinking of cutting them up and driving long nails through them to make a wonderful shape.

how does someone submit their "artwork" to be displayed and how much will the city rent it for if i happen to be a lucky one to get my "artwork" picked? or, do i have to be connected and know people in high places so i can get these boards outta my garage and make some money while i'm at it?