Former Kansas University basketball player J.R. Giddens is taking an official visit to New Mexico today, according to the Albuquerque (N.M.) Journal.
The newspaper reported in its Thursday edition that UNM coach Ritchie McKay confirmed he was recruiting Giddens, who left KU under a mutual agreement with coach Bill Self last week. Giddens confirmed to the paper later Thursday that he was traveling to Albuquerque today to see the campus.
Attempts by the Journal-World to contact Giddens on Thursday were unsuccessful, but he did tell the Journal, "If everything's as good as I've heard it is, I might not take any other visits."
Giddens said he also was being recruited by Florida, Miami, Arizona State and Tennessee and had set up an official visit with Tennessee. Other schools rumored to be in the mix include Texas Christian, Texas-El Paso, Pittsburgh and Southern Cal.
Giddens' future at Kansas was cut short after an incident May 19 at the Moon Bar, where he and four others were stabbed in an after-hours brawl. The fight left Giddens with a severed artery in a calf from which he's still recovering. A police report on the incident is in its preparation stages.
Giddens told the Albuquerque Journal that he was looking for a "big-time basketball atmosphere" and a "basketball town with passion." He said talking to former New Mexico players had him pumped for today's visit.
"What I see of the coaches, they're just great," Giddens told the Journal. "I'm really excited about this."
¢ Summer season: Former KU center Eric Chenowith will join Keith Langford as a member of the Dallas Mavericks' summer-league basketball team. The 7-foot-2 Chenowith did not play organized basketball last season. Langford and Chenowith will play in the Long Beach summer league.
Moon Bar fight
- Creswell doesn't show for Moon Bar hearing (10-26-05)
- 6News video: Former Moon Bar up for sale (10-10-05)
- Former Moon Bar building, land for sale (10-11-05)
- Suspect in Moon Bar case gets probation for threat (09-07-05)
- Giddens charged in bar brawl (08-31-05)
- Lobo coach defends Giddens (08-31-05)
- 6News video: Charges filed in Moon Bar incident (08-30-05)
- Giddens speaks ... but not about melee (07-23-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens cleared to play with UNM (07-22-05)
- KU's Case will miss ex-roomie Giddens (07-13-05)
- Self wishes Giddens good luck at UNM (07-11-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens transferring to New Mexico (07-10-05)
- Giddens will transfer to New Mexico (07-10-05)
- Giddens to visit N. Mexico (07-08-05)
- 6Sports video: New Mexico recruiting Giddens (07-07-05)
- Bedore: Change of scenery for Giddens, change of name for bar (07-03-05)
- 6Sports video: Jayhawks prepared to move on without Giddens (07-02-05)
- Self, KU look to future without Giddens (07-02-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens to transfer from KU (07-01-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens remains an enigma (07-01-05)
- 6News video: Fans not surprised about Giddens leaving (07-01-05)
- Hear Bill: June 30 press conference on Giddens' transfer
- Self: We prepared for this (07-01-05)
- KU, Giddens part ways (07-01-05)
- Former players say Giddens will be missed (07-01-05)
- Fans ready to move on (07-01-05)
- Perkins supports Self, team (07-01-05)
- Giddens back in Lawrence (06-29-05)
- Former FBI agents probing Giddens case (06-27-05)
- 6Sports video: KU hires private investigators to look into Moon Bar incident (06-26-05)
- Mayer: Questions abound around Giddens' past, present and future (06-25-05)
- Giddens' role still murky (06-18-05)
- 6News video: Police finish investigation of Moon Bar incident (06-17-05)
- Police file report on Moon Bar brawl (06-17-05)
- 6News video: Giddens stabbing suspect appears in court for unrelated charge (06-13-05)
- Giddens' troubles mystify friends from hometown (06-12-05)
- Kansas considering background checks (06-09-05)
- Results of investigation might stay sealed (06-09-05)
- Woodling: Far East junket provides respite (06-09-05)
- Key witness denies Giddens was instigator (06-08-05)
- Coach: Giddens' status 'isolated' (06-08-05)
- Giddens not expected for first summer term (06-07-05)