Commissioners will consider annexing and rezoning 13 acres of property located southeast of Lake Estates Subdivision between East 920 Road and Lake Alvamar. The annexation and rezoning would allow for a mix of single-family and duplex construction.
The requests were unanimously approved by Lawrence-Douglas County planning commissioners, but several neighbors in the area have expressed concern that the project does not comply with the community's comprehensive plan, and that the area road system cannot handle the traffic associated with the proposed development.
- Proclaim the year 2005 as the Year of Languages.
- approve City Commission meeting minutes
- receive minutes from various boards and commissions
- approve all claims
- approve drinking establishment licenses for Addis Ababa Ethiopian Cafe, 1008 Mass. and La Tropicana Restaurant, 434 Locust St. Approve retail liquor license for Glass House Liquor, 2301 Wakarusa Drive.
- approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
- bid and purchase items:
a) approve purchase of one pickup for Neighborhood Resources from Shawnee Mission Ford for $17,590.
b) approve purchase of one pickup for Utilities Department from Shawnee Mission Ford for $15,590.
- adopt the following ordinances on first reading:
a) ordinance establishing stop signs on Rhode Island Street at 12th Street.
b) ordinance establishing yield signs on Wheat State Street at Eldridge Street.
c) ordinance establishing an all-way stop at Ninth and New York streets.
d) ordinance establishing an all-way stop at 10th and New York streets.
e) ordinance removing stop signs on Ninth Street at New Jersey Street.
- Approve the following site plans subject to conditions:
a) Family Health Medical Office building, a 9,383-square-foot office building located on the south side of 18th Street at Wakarusa Drive.
b) A site plan for a second drive-through lane and addition for the McDonald's Restaurant at 1309 W. Sixth St.
c) A site plan for an 80-by-80.5-foot industrial building at 1100 E. 11th St.
- approve unanimous recommendations from the Traffic Safety Commission:
a) establish stop signs on Rhode Island Street at 12th Street.
b) deny request to establish a 20-mph speed limit on Sierra Drive between Sixth Street and Trail Road.
c) establish yield signs on Wheat State Street at Eldridge Street.
- receive city manager's report
- consider authorizing transit staff to proceed with use of federal funds for the possible acquisition or construction of a maintenance facility for the public transit system.
- consider Traffic Safety Commission's denial of the request from Water's Edge to construct perpendicular parking within the roadway right of way on Indiana Street adjacent to the store at 847 Ind.
- consider approval of following planning items:
a) annexation request for approximately 13.3626 acres located southeast of Lake Estates Subdivision between East 920 Road and Lake Alvamar.
b) a request to rezone 3.6348 acres from A-1 Suburban Home to RS-2 Single Family Residential.
c) a request to rezone 9.7277 acres from A-1 Suburban Home to RM-D Multiple Family Residential
- consider adopting the city's new development code.