- American Express issues quarterly report.
- Congressional Budget Office issues federal budget outlook.
- Trial opens of former HealthSouth executive Richard M. Scrushy.
- Merck, BellSouth, Johnson & Johnson issue quarterly reports.
- Economic indicators: December existing homes, January consumer confidence.
- World Economic Forum opens in Davos, Switzerland.
- Senate Energy Committee holds hearing on Samuel Bodman to be energy secretary.
- Eli Lilly, General Dynamics, Starbucks issue quarterly reports.
- President Bush travels to Cleveland to push health information technology initiatives.
- Congressional Economic Leadership Institute hosts forum on taxes.
- Johns Hopkins hosts forum on biotech partnerships at Rockville, Md., campus.
- Verizon, Microsoft, Lockheed Martin issue quarterly reports.
- Economic indicators: December durable goods.
- McDonald's, ChevronTexaco, Procter & Gamble issue quarterly reports.
- Economic indicators: Q4 GDP.