Just when it seemed that reality television was set to take over the dial, scripted shows have come roaring back -- at least for now. Long mired in fourth place, ABC has celebrated the initial successes of both "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives." While I prefer the mysterious "Lost" to the campy "Wives," both shows reflect a significant investment in scripts, actors and sets. And best of all, they're not "Extreme Bachelor Makeover on Temptation Island"!
To recoup the costs of such expensive shows, the network will offer viewers several opportunities to watch each episode every week. In this way, the networks are becoming much like cable networks that have never been shy about repeating original productions.
Tonight, viewers who missed last week's pilot episode of "Desperate Housewives" (9 p.m. today, ABC) can see what everyone is talking about.
- Turner Classic Movies salutes the films of the late Janet Leigh on Sunday, beginning with her 1947 screen debut "The Romance of Rosy Ridge" (5 a.m. Sunday) and concluding with her most memorable performance in director Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 shocker "Psycho" (4 p.m.).
Tonight's other highlights
- Major League Baseball divisional playoffs (6:30 p.m., Fox).
- Jim Carey stars in the 1997 comedy "Liar, Liar" (7 p.m., ABC).
- A burnt-out corporate lawyer (Mariska Hargitay) takes on a difficult murder case in Amish country in the 2004 television drama "Plain Truth" (7 p.m., Lifetime).
- Scheduled on "48 Hours Investigates" (9 p.m., CBS): A man's wife and daughter vanish.
- Queen Latifah hosts "Saturday Night Live" (10:30 p.m., NBC).
Sunday's other highlights
- Scheduled on "60 Minutes" (6 p.m., CBS): Sudan refugees; Queen Latifah; successful businesswomen who leave it all for children and family.
- A sun-phobic teen needs shelter on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (7 p.m., ABC).
- Gabrielle has much to hide on "Desperate Housewives" (8 p.m., ABC).
- A revelation about the first lady on "Jack & Bobby" (8 p.m., WB).
- The past comes back to haunt Kirstie Alley in the TV movie "While I Was Gone" ( 8 p.m., CBS).
- Alan represents an angry ex who once threatened his life on "Boston Legal" (9 p.m., ABC).