Seventeen-year-old Russian piano prodigy Eldar Djangirov and his jazz trio will be one of the headlining acts at this weekend's Topeka Jazz Festival. Djangirov, who lived in Kansas City for several years after relocating from Kyrgyzstan, has done his own arrangements since he began performing at age 9. Get more details about the festival, and other weekend events, below:
- Bloo Moon Advanced Dance, 8 p.m.-11 p.m. today, Woodlawn School, 508 Elm St., 841-5759.
- Storytime: "Grandma and Grandpa," 2 p.m. today, Barnes & Noble Booksellers on the Country Club Plaza, 420 W. 47th St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-1313.
- "World's Largest Picnic: The only picnic where ants are invited," 11 a.m.-3 p.m. today and Sunday, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- Historical Expression of African Americans in Film: "Ethnic Notions" producer/director and "Color Adjustment" producer/director, writer Marlon T. Riggs, 1:30 p.m. today, Mulvane Art Museum, Washburn University campus, Topeka, (785) 231-1010, ext. 2103.
- Farmers Market, 7:30 a.m.-sold out today, Fourth and Cherokee, Leavenworth, (913) 682-2313.
- 39th Annual Riverbend Art Fair, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. today, downtown mall, Atchison, (913) 367-4278.
- Kansas City Symphony and Union Station Summer Kick-Off: "Celebration at the Station," 7 p.m. Sunday concert, 9 p.m. Sunday fireworks, Union Station, 30 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 471-0400.
- Paintings by Mike McCaffrey, through June 6, Kimbari, 15 W. Ninth St., 842-1067.
- Art by Veritas Christian School students, entrances and cases, through Monday, Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt., 843-3833.
- Open Jam with Billy Ebeling and The Late For Dinner Band, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. today, Knuckleheads, 2715 Rochester, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 483-1456.
- The Rhythm Busters, 6 p.m. today (early show), Jackpot Saloon, 943 Mass., 832-1085.
- Eldar Djangirov Trio, featured at Topeka Jazz Festival, 7 p.m. today and Sunday, Georgia Neese Gray Performance Hall, Topeka Performing Arts Center, 214 S.E. Eighth Ave., (785) 234-4545.
- Eyes of the Betrayer, Silence Broken, Arms of Agony, Pillowcase Massacre, 7 p.m. today, El Torreon, 3101 Gillham Road, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 561-8349.
- Richard Buckner, 7:30 p.m. today (early show), Davey's Uptown, 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-1909.
- Oldies Night featuring the girls from Oklahoma "Makin' Memories," 7:30 p.m. today, Fourth and Main, Tonganoxie, (913) 845-9600.
- Kansas City Singers present "Chasing Destiny: The Journey of Lewis & Clark," 8 p.m. today, Just Off Broadway Theater, 3051 Central, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 361-0431.
- Will Matthews Quartet, 8:30 p.m. today, The Blue Room, 18th and Vine, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-8463.
- Forensics, Holy Mountain, My Father's Gun, 9 p.m. today, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Sean Costello Blues Band, 9 p.m. today, Grand Emporium, 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-1504.
- Thee Sham CD release party, The Lastcall Girls, 9 p.m. today, Davey's Uptown, 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-1909.
- Unknown Stuntman, Donkey Show, 10 p.m. today, Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.
- Rob Mountjoy, Lonnie Fisher, 5 p.m. Sunday (early show), Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.