Agency: The Tisha L. Downing Memorial Golf Tournament
Contact person: Kim Downing, (913) 369-3439
The Tisha L. Downing Memorial Golf Tournament will be June 19 at Alvamar Country Club. Volunteers are needed to assist with the four-person scramble, fun hole contests and other needs at the event. This year's tournament will benefit both Therapeutic Horse Riding Instruction of Lawrence, THRIL, and the Tisha L. Downing Memorial Scholarship Fund, which is awarded to a graduating Eudora High School student. THRIL provides certified horseback riding instruction for children and adults with disabilities.
Immediate volunteer needs
- The Lawrence Arts Center needs a volunteer to help in the gallery shop from noon to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays. Volunteers will greet and help patrons and make sales. For more information, call Ann Dean at 843-2787.
- The arts center also needs adult volunteers to assist with children's art classes this summer. Volunteers can help with 90-minute or three-hour sessions. No special experience is necessary; however, volunteers interested in visual arts and education are preferred. Volunteers will help with various units, including photography, pottery, painting and other crafts. Call Laura Rose for more information at 843-2787.
- Both adult and teen volunteers can help with the Lawrence Arts Center summer youth theater program. Volunteers can assist with various aspects of the productions or serve as ushers for performances. Call Laura Rose at 843-2787.
- The Lawrence Public Library is taking applications for its summer VolunTEEN program. Teen volunteers will assist with the summer reading program, reshelve materials, sort library carts, set up and take down library programs and do shelf reading. Those interested must attend an orientation at 7 p.m. May 24 or at 2 p.m. May 25. VolunTEEN applications may be picked up at the library at the circulation desk, in the children's department or in The Zone. For more information, call Maria Butler at 843-3833.
- Volunteers from Interfaith Caring Neighbors will hand out programs to guests and graduates at the Kansas University commencement. ICAN needs 15 more volunteers who are available from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. For more information, call the ICAN office at 749-2005