1. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown (Doubleday, $24.95). The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
2. "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom (Hyperion, $19.95). An old man who died while trying to rescue a little girl from danger discovers that all will be explained to him in the afterlife.
3. "Glorious Appearing," by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins (Tyndale, $24.99). In the 12th volume of the "Left Behind" series, in which the forces of good battle the forces of evil, the Second Coming occurs.
4. "Nighttime Is My Time," by Mary Higgins Clark (Simon & Schuster, $25.95). Determined to avenge himself on the girls who rejected him in high school, a crazed killer targets his 20th class reunion.
5. "Angels & Demons," by Dan Brown (Atria, $17.95). A Harvard scholar tries to save the Vatican from the machinations of an underground society.
1. "Plan of Attack," by Bob Woodward (Simon & Schuster, $28). A behind-the-scenes account of the Bush administration's decision making as it drew up plans to invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein.
2. "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," by Lynne Truss (Gotham, $17.50). An Englishwoman expounds on the use and misuse of punctuation marks.
3. "Three Weeks With My Brother," by Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks (Warner, $22). The novelist and his sibling describe their trip around the world.
4. "Against All Enemies," by Richard A. Clarke (Free Press, $27). President Bush's former counterterrorism coordinator criticizes the administration's handling of events before and after the 9-11 attacks.
5. "Alexander Hamilton," by Ron Chernow (Penguin Press, $35). A biography of the first Treasury secretary and chief author of The Federalist Papers.
Advice and miscellaneous
1. "The South Beach Diet," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $24.95). A weight-loss plan designed by a Miami cardiologist.
2. "The Purpose-Driven Life," by Rick Warren (Zondervan, $19.99). Finding the meaning of life through God.
3. "The South Beach Diet Cookbook," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $25.95). A collection of recipes from a Miami cardiologist.
4. "Trump: How to Get Rich," by Donald J. Trump with Meredith McIver (Random House, $21.95). Advice on business strategy and creating personal wealth.
5. "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands," by Laura C. Schlessinger (HarperCollins, $24.95). Advice for women on how to treat spouses.