The Lawrence City Commission will begin with a closed-door session with the Douglas County Commission to discuss acquisition of the defunct Farmland Industries plant.
Officials have discussed purchasing the fertilizer plant that sits on 467 acres east of the city on Kansas Highway 10.
- Recognize Terese A. Gorman, city engineer, as recipient of the George Williams Award for Excellence in Public Works for 2004.
- Proclaim the week of May 9 "Police Week" and May 15 "Peace Officers Memorial Day."
- Proclaim the week of May 16 "National Public Works Week."
- Proclaim May "Foster Care Month."
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from April 27.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Public Transit Advisory Committee meeting of April 15; Hospital Board meetings of Jan. 21, Feb. 18 and March 17.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Replay Lounge and Buffalo Bob's Smokehouse.
- Approve the following appointments: Bob Brookman to the Board of Plumbers and Pipe Fitters; Ron Hurst to the Lawrence Public Library Board.
Bid and purchase items:
- Award 2004 Overlay Program, Phase 1, to Asphalt Improvement Co. in the amount of $496,403.
- Set bid date of May 25 for Overlay and Concrete Repair Program, Phase 2.
- Approve purchase from Murphy Tractor and Equipment of the MARC cooperative bid for one backhoe in the amount of $67,670 less trade of $13,000 for a total of $54,670.
Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
- Ordinance No. 7703, rezoning 6.195 acres from agricultural to single-family residential, property located at the extensions of Foxfire Drive and Burning Tree Drive south and west of the existing Foxfire Development.
- Ordinance No. 7711, rezoning 23.938 acres from agricultural to duplex residential, property located south of Kansas Highway 10 and west of O'Connell Road.
- Ordinance No. 7712, rezoning 8.622 acres from agricultural to single-family residential, property located south of K-10 and west of O'Connell Road.
- Ordinance No. 7732, Text Amendment TA-09-03-03 adding water/wastewater review requirements and park service area standards to the joint subdivision regulations.
- Ordinance 7764, rezoning 20.1626 acres from limited business to multiple-family residential, property at the northeast corner of Clinton Parkway and K-10.
- Ordinance No. 7774, increasing fees and mileage rates for ambulance services and deleting certain additional costs. Approved by Douglas County Commission on April 19.
- Ordinance No. 7782, concerning smoking in public places.
- Ordinance No. 7789, considering the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products to minors.
Accept dedication of easements on the following plats:
- Final plat for Fall Creek Farms 10th plat, a 51-lot single-family residential subdivision east of Monterey Way and south of Peterson Road, about 120 feet north of Stetson Drive. For William E. Fritzel, applicant, and Sojac Land Company L.C., owner of record.
- Final plat for North Town Addition, a one-lot industrial subdivision west of North Second Street north of Lyon Street. For North Town Development LLC, contract purchaser, and P.D.O. Investors LLC, owner of record.
- Final plat for Oread West Office Park, a replat of Lots 1 and 2, Oread West No. 11, Lots 3 and 4, Block 3, University Corporate and Research Park Subdivision No. 2 amended, and Lot 5, Block 3, Oread West No. 10, a five-lot planned residential and planned industrial development contains 16.893 acres north of 15th Street Bob Billings Parkway and west of Wakarusa Drive. For Hi-Tech Facility Investors, property owners of record.
Approve the following site plans, subject to conditions:
- A 3,000-square-foot warehouse building to be located at 2406 Ponderosa Drive within a C-4 general commercial zoning district.
- Modification of a basement apartment of a fourplex located at 1000 Miss.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Lola Vassar, 1922 Maple Lane.
- City manager's report.
- Receive request for additional funding for Biosciences Study.
- Receive report and funding request from ECO2.
- Consider request from the Kansas University Student Housing Assn. for a waiver of tree replacement charges that were incurred moving the Wilcox-Hunter House from 1309 Ohio to 1033 Ky.
- Receive recommendation from the Public Transit Advisory Committee on proposed route changes.
- Consider the request to establish no parking along the south side of 11th Street between Connecticut Street and Haskell Avenue.