Archive for Sunday, May 9, 2004


May 9, 2004



One Marine killed, one hurt by militant fire during patrol

One U.S. Marine was killed and another injured in an overnight attack on a patrol in southern Afghanistan, the military said Saturday, in the Marines' first loss to hostile fire in Afghanistan.

The soldiers were fired on by militants south of Tirin Kot, about 250 miles southwest of the capital, Kabul, in Uruzgan province, said military spokesman Lt. Col. Tucker Mansager.

Spokeswoman Capt. Cindy Beam said the injured Marine underwent surgery at the U.S. base near Kandahar city for "multiple gunshot wounds to the lower extremities."


Report: Police question American's fingerprints

The newspaper El Pais reported Saturday that Spanish investigators have serious doubts about whether the fingerprint found on a plastic bag tied to March 11 explosions on commuter trains is that of Portland-area lawyer Brandon Mayfield.

The report said Spanish forensics experts found only eight points of similarity between the print and the one of Mayfield held because of his status as a former member of the Army.

The FBI said it found 15 such points, El Pais said.

Mayfield, 37, was arrested at his law office on Thursday as a material witness in the March 11 bombings, which killed 191 people and wounded 2,000.

He is a native of Kansas, having grown up in and around Halstead.

Rhode Island

Three killed as boat capsizes near Mount Hope Bay

Shivering with cold, his bare feet cut and bleeding, the 14-year-old frantically banged on the Roses' front door about 1 a.m. Saturday.

"He kept saying, 'There's been an accident. I swam to shore. I'm sure the boat sank by now,"' Karen Rose said.

Christopher Duarte swam in darkness for 60 to 90 minutes in 50-degree water to reach shore after the small pleasure boat carrying his family capsized in or near Mount Hope Bay, the Coast Guard said.

At least three of the six people aboard the boat died; the search for a fourth victim, the boy's aunt, was called off late Saturday afternoon.

Duarte's mother, Edwina, 34, was found alive, but died on the way to the hospital, Coast Guard Petty Officer Andrew Shinn said. Duarte's father, Allen, 35, was rescued and was in critical condition in a hospital.


Two charged in shooting in high school parking lot

Two people were charged Saturday in a drive-by shooting that wounded four teenagers, one of them critically, as they left a charity basketball game.

Police also said they were looking for two unidentified suspects in Friday's shooting in Randallstown High School's parking lot.

Ronald Johnson, 20, was charged with four counts of attempted murder, first-degree assault and a weapons violation, police said. He was being held without bail Saturday.

Matthew T. McCullough, a 17-year-old student at the high school, was charged with the same counts but remained at large, authorities said.

Two of the shooting victims remained hospitalized Saturday; the others were treated and released.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.