Happy Mother's Day weekend! From themed brunches to storytimes, jazz concerts and art shows, today and Sunday are ripe with opportunities to spend special time with your mom. Here's a look at some of your options:
- Teachers workshop: "The Southern End of the Americas: Argentina," 8:30 a.m.-2:15 p.m. today, Spooner Hall (formerly Museum of Anthropology), Kansas University campus, 864-4213.
- Lecture: "Basics of a Healthy Lawn, Start to Finish," 9:30 a.m.-noon today, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- Third Annual Antique Appraisal Fair, bring family treasures for appraisal, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. today, Carnegie Cultural Center, 501 S. Main, Ottawa, (785) 242-8478.
- Interactive class for youths: "1960s Tye-Dyeing," 1 p.m. today, Watkins Community Museum of History, 1047 Mass., 841-4109.
- Storytime: "Mother's Day," 2 p.m. today, Barnes & Noble Booksellers on the Country Club Plaza, 420 W. 47th St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-1313.
- "Dance On Site," aha! dance theatre, 6 p.m. today, Loose Park, Wornall Road and 51st Street, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 523-6732.
- Whistling Contest, 7 p.m. today, Cyber Nova Cafe, 747 N.H., 841-3282.
- Mid-America Train & Toy Show, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday, BTC Exhibit Hall (formerly KC Market Center), Interstate 435 and Front Street, Kansas City, Mo., (913) 651-5864.
- Mother's Day Brunch, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, Cafe Thyme, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- Mother's Day Brunch, noon-3 p.m. Sunday, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 751-1278.
- Mother's Day Performance with Brookside Brass Quintet, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Sunday, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- Create: "Hanging Herb and Vegetable Basket," 2 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- Lecture: Filmmaker Madison Davis Lacy, 7 p.m. Sunday, Auditorium, Spencer Museum of Art, KU campus.
- "People and Portraits," today-June 19, Unity Art Gallery, 900 Madeline, 841-1447. Reception: 4 p.m.-6 p.m. today.
- Installation Art Class 2004 Annual Exhibition, Sunday-Friday, Art and Design Gallery, Art and Design Building, KU, 864-3209. Reception: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday.
- "Haitian Women: Portraits of Courage," portraits of Haitian women by Tequila Minsky, Monday-Friday, Kansas Union Gallery, Jayhawk Boulevard on KU campus, 864-SHOW.
- "George Dandin," 7:30 p.m. today, Inge Theatre, KU campus, 864-3982.
- "Holy Ship!" 9 p.m. today and Sunday, Ad Astra Gallery, 205 W. Eighth St., firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Catechism II-Sometimes We Feel Guilty Because We Are Guilty," 8 p.m. today and 2 p.m. Sunday, H&R Block City Stage Theater, Union Station, 30 W. Pershing, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 460-2020.